Whats the view on carpal tunnel

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Seems its been called a Non work injury. Ive had it for 20 yrs, this yr its killer. But I hear it is not recognized any longer as work related. I never wanted surgery, Ive not seen it help anyone. Anyone have it and how do you cope on the days your hands and wrists give it up.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Seems its been called a Non work injury. Ive had it for 20 yrs, this yr its killer. But I hear it is not recognized any longer as work related. I never wanted surgery, Ive not seen it help anyone. Anyone have it and how do you cope on the days your hands and wrists give it up.

I feel like my right wrist is getting it from being on the laptop and my job at work. Reaching back with my right hand to grab a label 2000 times per day....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have days where it takes two hands to open a door knob, not to mention, the brake, picking up the diad and turning the steering wheel. It amazes me that lifting a 70 is no problem, but picking up an envelope if I do it wrong, brings me to my knees.:angry:And then there is the coffee cup. Glad beer doesnt have a handle or that would hurt too:happy2:

old brown shoe

30 year driver
My wife had carpal tunnel so bad she could not pick up or newborn son. She went to several doctors and was told everything from taking meds. to surgery. She went to a chiropractor for a pinched nerve in her neck while she was going threw all of this and was told it may be caused from her back. After a few treatments it went away and has never giving her trouble since. This may not work for all but it was close to a miracle for my wife. She works in a office all day and types and works on the computer which can cause this. Also you could try taking glucosamine sulfate and drinking lots of water. It helps to lubricate the joints and muscles. I know of several people who swear by it. It takes awhile to start helping. I take it for my sore knees and it helps me. Good luck!

brownrodster

Back when I was part time I used a computer a lot. The set up was very uncomfortable. I started getting pains in my wrists. I complained about it to my PT sup who said "where does it hurt." Followed by "thats not carpel tunnel get back to work." I was confused by his diagnosis and mention of carpel tunnel. Certainly my wrists can hurt from improper ergonomic conditions without it being carpel tunnel. I brought it up to the safety comittee who did nothing. Fortunately I bid into full time shortly after and my wrists stopped hurting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a similar situation but it was in my elbows--it is called the ulnar nerve and I had to keep shaking my hands to get the tingling to go away. I had both elbows operated on (ulnar nerve release) and it has helped tremendously, although it does take a little while for the tips of my fingers to warm up on really cold days. I had not heard about carpal tunnel no longer being classified as work related but I would press the issue as it quite obviously is work related in your case.

stealth8

Take 200mg of vitamin B6 a day you will find that helps. It did for me. Give it a couple of weeks to kick-in! Good Luck.

retired2000

had the surgery back in 1992 and everything is fine. comp paid for everything back then. i was a driver when it happened. i also won my comp case from it.

It is the insurance companies that had the law changed to eliminate carpal tunnel as an on job injury. They were having to pay for two many operations.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see why it was eliminated as a comp injury. Although our jobs could cause it too many office people that use computers all day were claiming it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I started getting pains in my wrists. I complained about it to my PT sup who said "where does it hurt." Followed by "thats not carpel tunnel get back to work." I was confused by his diagnosis.
It never fails to amaze me why someone who is qualified to be a doctor is working a PT sup at UPS.

david cassin

dublinbrown
my wife has it and shes a chef,i have worked on the old keyboard for the past 20 years and touch wood i haven't got any sign of it.
she got some cortisan injections and ite helped but it still comes back
very sore from what i remember...:peaceful:

softshoe

It is a Work Comp related injury. We've had 2 drivers who had the surgery this winter. They collected all the Work Comp Benefits.

L

Load Stand

It is a Work Comp related injury. We've had 2 drivers who had the surgery this winter. They collected all the Work Comp Benefits.

Each case is unique. Often this condition is not the result of occupational exposure and often CTS is mis-diagnosed. Jobs at UPS are rarely the cause of this. The fact that Work Comp handled these two cases means nothing, other than Liberty Mutual was too lazy to not question it. Search this topic on the internet, and you will see the variations on causality. Sometimes problems in the neck result in numbness in hands/wrist. Sometimes circulation issues present themselves with similar symptoms. You will see things such as hypertension and osteoarthritis play a big role in these problems. You will see alcoholism and obesity plays a big role as well. Pregnancy in fact is the biggest factor, as evidenced by the post earlier in this thread.

Unless you are doing something at UPS that involves highly repititive "fine manipulation", this is usually something more common in females and develops as you age, and not often the result of occupational exposure. Several medical studies over the last few years are coming to that conclusion.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My boss was concerned so he called the company doc? They were worried it may be congestive heart failure?
I said I knew what that was, but it is just water retention, and it doesnt HURT!
They told me to take some time off if I wanted to go to a doc. I am planning to, I just hate the whole process, as you know they eventually will find something wrong. Today was much better I just really babied my paws, good thing we dont have any repetetive movements which cause it:funny::knockedout:.
And yes, I am female, not an alcoholic or obese tho. :happy2:And I am definetely not pregnant..................................
No big deal, I was just asking for input, and as always thanks!!!

upsgrunt

Each case is unique. Often this condition is not the result of occupational exposure and often CTS is mis-diagnosed. Jobs at UPS are rarely the cause of this. The fact that Work Comp handled these two cases means nothing, other than Liberty Mutual was too lazy to not question it. Search this topic on the internet, and you will see the variations on causality. Sometimes problems in the neck result in numbness in hands/wrist. Sometimes circulation issues present themselves with similar symptoms. You will see things such as hypertension and osteoarthritis play a big role in these problems. You will see alcoholism and obesity plays a big role as well. Pregnancy in fact is the biggest factor, as evidenced by the post earlier in this thread.

Unless you are doing something at UPS that involves highly repititive "fine manipulation", this is usually something more common in females and develops as you age, and not often the result of occupational exposure. Several medical studies over the last few years are coming to that conclusion.

So are you saying that grabbing and replacing the diad several hundred times a day along with the key entries is NOT repetitive manipulation? How long did you drive?

Bad Gas!

I know of at least 2 cases of carpel tunel which collected workers comp in my area, too_One driver just had the surgery 3 weeks ago. He said it was more painful than the 3 other body part surgeries that he had had...It is classified as a progressive( and repetitive) injury and doesn't count against center injuries for some reason..The other driver is doing great after surgery..

L

Load Stand

So are you saying that grabbing and replacing the diad several hundred times a day along with the key entries is NOT repetitive manipulation? How long did you drive?

That is exactly what I am saying, and more importantly what medical professionals that are up to date on this disease, and other similar neuropathies, are saying. The key word is "fine" manipulation that is heavily repetitive.

What you are describing is neither "fine" manipulation nor "heavily" repetitive. Especially with either task now that there is much less key entry thanks to PAS, the development of raised soft keys on the DIAD and the improved grips.

Studies also show that the rate of CTS found in the general population is near the same rate of those cases deemed to be as a result of occupational exposure. Supporting the fact that CTS is thought to be primarily a progressive disease of various etiology, that is often not the result of occupational exposure.

L

Load Stand

I know of at least 2 cases of carpel tunel which collected workers comp in my area, too_One driver just had the surgery 3 weeks ago. He said it was more painful than the 3 other body part surgeries that he had had...It is classified as a progressive( and repetitive) injury and doesn't count against center injuries for some reason..The other driver is doing great after surgery..

Some jurisdictions are more liberal in acceptance of such claims as well, thanks to the mishandling of these issues by physicians that do not take the time to drill into causality and etiology, and insurance companies not caring where this condition truly belongs.

Sometimes Liberty Mutual will just accept it instead of fighting it, especially if the jurisdiction is more liberal on this subject.

Most can argue that there physically demanding job at UPS is the cause of most medical issues, but this is one of those that usually should not be a WC issue.