What's top pay rate for delivery drivers?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's a form of torture. I'm now 3.5 months away from top rate. For the last 3 years, thinking about top rate pay occurred every day. Kinda wears on you when you're struggling with bills and know it's coming but not soon enough.

Right now, life is just trying to pay for the basics to get by. So day in and day out it's like "I will finally be able to do this and do that, and get this done".

I know some guys already making the big bucks will tell you that it's not as much as it seems. Yes, it's still not big money but it's 60% more than I'm making now. It's certainly easy to spend $90K a year as you spend more the more you make but you just gotta structure your life based on less than your means as hard as that is.
With overtime you're still making pretty good money. Why the struggles?

Bottom rung

Just some food for though for all the guys who didn't care what the contract had in store for new drivers, regarding progression. These new guys will be voting out the clause where ups covers what central states pension fund can't. ...just something to think about. Hope you enjoyed the yes vote and impasse.

9.5 everyday

It's a form of torture. I'm now 3.5 months away from top rate. For the last 3 years, thinking about top rate pay occurred every day. Kinda wears on you when you're struggling with bills and know it's coming but not soon enough.

Right now, life is just trying to pay for the basics to get by. So day in and day out it's like "I will finally be able to do this and do that, and get this done".

I know some guys already making the big bucks will tell you that it's not as much as it seems. Yes, it's still not big money but it's 60% more than I'm making now. It's certainly easy to spend $90K a year as you spend more the more you make but you just gotta structure your life based on less than your means as hard as that is.
You should try and save as much as possible. There's no guarantee there will be a pension 25 years from now. I increase my 401k every year and increase my contribution to the credit union yearly. My dad told me two things growing up for financial success, 1. Don't spend more than you make and 2. Pay your self first. Meaning put something in your savings.

JL 0513

With overtime you're still making pretty good money. Why the struggles?

Everyone's situation is different. If I was a single guy, I'd be doing very well. I made $60K in 2015 coupled with my 2nd job (yup, 2 jobs). Sounds like good money but these days doesn't cut it when the wife is a stay at home mom with 2 kids. My mortgage is low, around $1300/mo including all insurance, etc. Cars are paid off. But I'm servicing a decent amount of credit card debt that was hard to avoid. Everything is just so damn expensive everywhere you turn.
Heating the house in the winter is close to $400/mo. Have you seen the price of beef lately? Can't touch it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Everyone's situation is different. If I was a single guy, I'd be doing very well. I made $60K in 2015 coupled with my 2nd job (yup, 2 jobs). Sounds like good money but these days doesn't cut it when the wife is a stay at home mom with 2 kids. My mortgage is low, around $1300/mo including all insurance, etc. Cars are paid off. But I'm servicing a decent amount of credit card debt that was hard to avoid. Everything is just so damn expensive everywhere you turn.
Heating the house in the winter is close to $400/mo. Have you seen the price of beef lately? Can't touch it.

I know you are in Massachusetts. Do you heat with oil, and are you really going through 200 gallons a month?

JL 0513

I know you are in Massachusetts. Do you heat with oil, and are you really going through 200 gallons a month?

Natural gas. These were last years bills and gas is down this year so should be a decent amount less. My house is 100 years old so insulation isn't that good. 1900 sq ft.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Natural gas. These were last years bills and gas is down this year so should be a decent amount less. My house is 100 years old so insulation isn't that good. 1900 sq ft.

We switched to gas last year. This year, the gas company actually dropped their rates 10%.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I forgot I live in Wisconsin. We had 3 kids and the wife worked full time for all but a year when she went part time.

JL 0513

I forgot I live in Wisconsin. We had 3 kids and the wife worked full time for all but a year when she went part time.

Here in MA, if you want a a nice average suburban home you're looking at $500K. Even at top rate, I hesitate to move out of my lower income city neighborhood (I have to park on the street, no garage, small yard, etc.). I just don't want to be stretched with a big mortgage and not be able to enjoy other things. I paid $180K in a neighborhood one step up from ghetto.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Here in MA, if you want a a nice average suburban home you're looking at $500K. Even at top rate, I hesitate to move out of my lower income city neighborhood (I have to park on the street, no garage, small yard, etc.). I just don't want to be stretched with a big mortgage and not be able to enjoy other things. I paid $180K in a neighborhood one step up from ghetto.
I live in a shoe box I paid 91K for in 1993 and now worth 154 according to the local assessor. It amazes me when I see the prices of homes in California or the Northeast.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Bid on a rural route. Lots of roadkill out there!:-)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I live in a shoe box I paid 91K for in 1993 and now worth 154 according to the local assessor. It amazes me when I see the prices of homes in California or the Northeast.
I paid 85K in 2000, zillow says it's worth 200K now but it doesn't do me any good til I can retire and leave this area. All it means for now is higher property taxes.

Anthonysg0113

Played leap frog with a FedEx ground guy yesterday, they may work as hard as we do but this guy's body will fare better than ours. He didn't open and shut the bulkhead door 150 times a day, didn't put on and take off his seat belt 150 times a day, set the handbrake, turn on and off the truck. I'm 35 and started driving last year, I hope in 25 years my body still had a golf swing in it somewhere.
Yeah, but he's probably making $10 an hour.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Geothermal is a good way to go, thats what i have in my house. Electric bill may go up to 200 maybe 225 if its brutally cold in the winter and thats heating a 3000 sq ft house. Expensive at first to put in at 25k but i threw that into my mortgage and got back 30 percent of it on my taxes the first year. Its already paid for itself with the savings on my electric bill.