When a Senior VP Invites Questions

MassWineGuy

Any Express folks who watched the most recent Frontline saw the segment about new vehicles given by the global senior vp for such things. It sounded promising to me, especially when he ended by inviting anyone with questions to write to him at an email address he gave.

I’m in Massachusetts and our Sprinters are awful in even light snow or icy roads. I am not the type who holds back on questions, so I wrote, asking if the new model Sprinters and vans will be any better in winter. Not to mention the tires on most of our vans, which have poor traction even in very light rain. (I mentioned it.)

I received a very good reply and soon couriers at our station will meet with his area rep to voice any concerns, questions, suggestions, etc. re: vehicles. To me, this is good.

On the other hand, my email was cc’d to my senior manager, manager, district director and others very high up. Can you spell GULP? Or Holy [fill in the blank]?

I had a ton of anxiety at first. But I can’t see any policy or rule that I broke, unless there’s an unofficial one about not embarrassing your managers. In any case, the guy invited questions. If I’m accused of some infraction I will ask to see exactly which one in black and white in the manual.

I wrote back to the vp saying I was concerned about my job. He told me he’d sent everyone “a note” and I’d be fine. Whatever that may mean.

Signed,
Still Anxious

BTW: I was out on leave the last couple of days and haven’t been to the station since this happened.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Obviously, I’m on the Ground side of things (WAGN), but I’ve been finding VP’s to be rather open to criticism. It takes a long time to see the changes, but they do come.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I was very determined not to criticize anyone. Just to raise my concerns.

Most of these Q and A deals and invitations for "questions" are a red flag for being smart and not participating. At the Q and A's, the questions are scripted most of the time, and you'd best not ask anything off the pre-selected menu.

Maybe the VP should have asked vehicle questions BEFORE buying them, not after. Same deal. Your criticisms and feedback will go nowhere, and it's all a feel good exercise that is supposed to make you feel part of the team.

Star B

White Lightening
Well, the new Metris vans suck in the snow/ice. However, they still have the factory tires on them. They have some new tires that they are putting on them.... we'll see how they handle next winter.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Any Express folks who watched the most recent Frontline saw the segment about new vehicles given by the global senior vp for such things. It sounded promising to me, especially when he ended by inviting anyone with questions to write to him at an email address he gave.

I’m in Massachusetts and our Sprinters are awful in even light snow or icy roads. I am not the type who holds back on questions, so I wrote, asking if the new model Sprinters and vans will be any better in winter. Not to mention the tires on most of our vans, which have poor traction even in very light rain. (I mentioned it.)

I received a very good reply and soon couriers at our station will meet with his area rep to voice any concerns, questions, suggestions, etc. re: vehicles. To me, this is good.

On the other hand, my email was cc’d to my senior manager, manager, district director and others very high up. Can you spell GULP? Or Holy [fill in the blank]?

I had a ton of anxiety at first. But I can’t see any policy or rule that I broke, unless there’s an unofficial one about not embarrassing your managers. In any case, the guy invited questions. If I’m accused of some infraction I will ask to see exactly which one in black and white in the manual.

I wrote back to the vp saying I was concerned about my job. He told me he’d sent everyone “a note” and I’d be fine. Whatever that may mean.

Signed,
Still Anxious

BTW: I was out on leave the last couple of days and haven’t been to the station since this happened.
Is the VP Ken Wilson?

Star B

White Lightening
Is the Metris for Ground?
Nope, Express. I *love* them other than two and a half things.

1) The snow/ice handling (which I've said, may just be up to tires)
2) The cabin is a teensy bit cramped for someone that's tall.
2 1/2) The cargo floor is smooth, so cargo slides everywhere all during the day. Depending on how responsive your VMX department is, this may not be an issue at all (Ours is awesome and has already fixed it).

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Signed,
Still Anxious

Nothing to worry about. Despite what a very vocal minority of one shrieks, they have no problems accepting feedback.

Oh, so it was his boss Sam Nesbitt. I like them both. Very personable.

Agreed, Nesbitt is a great guy.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Maybe the VP should have asked vehicle questions BEFORE buying them, not after. Same deal. Your criticisms and feedback will go nowhere, and it's all a feel good exercise that is supposed to make you feel part of the team.
I seen a few of these Q and A’s before and nothing really changes. I never met Nesbitt but maybe he’ll listen with a least one ear. Unfortunately all Fred saw was dollar signs when those crappy sprinters were purchased and the way I see it, it’s unlikely to change.

McFeely

Huge Member
I'm curious if they're actually buying legit 700s like they mentioned in Frontline. Not those crappy Isuzu 650s anymore?

A guy can dream!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm curious if they're actually buying legit 700s like they mentioned in Frontline. Not those crappy Isuzu 650s anymore?

A guy can dream!
IMO the 700s are the best vehicle FedEx has ever bought for deliveries. While I love my Sprinter, I know it won’t last anywhere near as long as a 700. Nor is it as good in the snow as a 700.