When all you can do is shake your head

pretzel_man

More to it than just that. Sandy is a factor but there were issues there long before Sandy blew into town. Pretzel_man knows...

Actually, I don't........

I know the circumstance. I know the options looked at. I know what is being done now.....

The true cause, I do not know. It is likely a combination of many things. I think that after peak is over, analysis will be done as to what the real cause was.

tourists24

Actually, I don't........

I know the circumstance. I know the options looked at. I know what is being done now.....

The true cause, I do not know. It is likely a combination of many things. I think that after peak is over, analysis will be done as to what the real cause was.
but you ARE sure that its not because there isnt enough equipment/personnel available to get the tasks done correctly and efficiently?

tourists24

Why are management people going there to be package delivery drivers if they have enough personnel?
he's an IE guy Significant..... he has no true clue of how operations works except for what he's been trained to do... He buys the hype....he's not in realville....

Having said that... I do respect Pretzel.... he never loses his cool and offers a very good perspective for BC.... this is the IE that many hourly point to about where our problems come from... he comes here and is at least a voice for UPS that we would otherwise never hear from... In this case,,, IE has concluded that we have enough resources to get the job done... enough said... Much like the edict for my center says that 64 routes is plenty even though we probably need 68 or 70

Ms.PacMan

In this case,,, IE has concluded that we have enough resources to get the job done... enough said... Much like the edict for my center says that 64 routes is plenty even though we probably need 68 or 70

Made me think of this article published a few days ago Why Too Much Data Disables Your Decision Making | Psychology Today

This thread goes hand in hand with this thread http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/getting-time-distance-walked-347607/ and the article linked above.

If I scan the package(s) at the truck, then stop complete back at the truck - the stop will be over-allowed. However, if I scan the pkg(s) near the house or in the business and stop complete at the delivery point the stop is within the time allowance. Both events took the exact same time however the data is completely different.

Time studies are skewed e.g., using posted speed limits to establish time in transit, despite knowing that we hardly ever get up to the posted speed limit because of all the stopping.

And Pretzel_man's response is.... "The true cause, I do not know. It is likely a combination of many things. I think that after peak is over, analysis will be done as to what the real cause was"

....more data.

tourists24

Made me think of this article published a few days ago Why Too Much Data Disables Your Decision Making | Psychology Today

This thread goes hand in hand with this thread http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/getting-time-distance-walked-347607/ and the article linked above.

If I scan the package(s) at the truck, then stop complete back at the truck - the stop will be over-allowed. However, if I scan the pkg(s) near the house or in the business and stop complete at the delivery point the stop is within the time allowance. Both events took the exact same time however the data is completely different.

Time studies are skewed e.g., using posted speed limits to establish time in transit, despite knowing that we hardly ever get up to the posted speed limit because of all the stopping.

And Pretzel_man's response is.... "The true cause, I do not know. It is likely a combination of many things. I think that after peak is over, analysis will be done as to what the real cause was"

....more data.
totally agree with you... even more evident since Pretzel has been around a very long time, yet still has no clue what happens on the ground (he thinks he does)... but this is exactly what UPS likes.... if you havent been on the road for years, you dont see the real issues for operations.... IE has a real place in the company,,, it simply shouldnt be at the top where all knowledge flows

cino321

I've been on too many calls about this.....

Yes... I'm sure.

You guys can try rationalize everything. Fact of the matter is that none of you deliver here. Come down here. Look at all our hand-me-down package cars from other buildings and other states. We don't do any mileage around so we don't get any new equipment. Every new car we have is 700 with a billion miles from somewhere. They can't contain anything. The route gets dispatched at 60% because nothing else will fit. Forget servicing pick up accounts, no room for it. Now that peak is here and we missed service on 100's of thousands of packages you guys show up with new package cars. Give me a break. They know what happened here. Nothing but a result of a production push within the last few years; maximize everything, push the envelope, and lets not upgrade anything. Finally biting everyone in the ass.

How many years now have we been hearing about another building opening up somewhere in Queens? Let's wait another peak before we staff it. Save a few bucks.

pretzel_man

he's an IE guy Significant..... he has no true clue of how operations works except for what he's been trained to do... He buys the hype....he's not in realville....

Having said that... I do respect Pretzel.... he never loses his cool and offers a very good perspective for BC.... this is the IE that many hourly point to about where our problems come from... he comes here and is at least a voice for UPS that we would otherwise never hear from... In this case,,, IE has concluded that we have enough resources to get the job done... enough said... Much like the edict for my center says that 64 routes is plenty even though we probably need 68 or 70

Why are management people going there to be package delivery drivers if they have enough personnel?

You can dismiss what I say by downplaying my experience and knowledge. Neither of you know the work I've done over 30+ years nor the time spent in operations today.....

I did NOT say that there was enough equipment or personnel in New York. Obviously there is not.... I said the cause was NOT refusal to hire.

Think about it.... If that were the cause, why would a more expensive option be chosen to dig them out???

Many here ask questions but really don't want the answer. You have already decided on your own opinion, and will force all facts to meet that.

wayfair

swollen member
Look at all our hand-me-down package cars from other buildings and other states. We don't do any mileage around so we don't get any new equipment.

I've had 3 new vehicles in the past 5 years ,first was a p1000 no power steering CNG, then an auto p1000 diesel(great turning radius), then p1000 with the big block 8.1L chevy(man I miss that ride), now I gotta p1000 CNG....

Hang in there brother!!

cino321

You can dismiss what I say by downplaying my experience and knowledge. Neither of you know the work I've done over 30+ years nor the time spent in operations today.....

I did NOT say that there was enough equipment or personnel in New York. Obviously there is not.... I said the cause was NOT refusal to hire.

Think about it.... If that were the cause, why would a more expensive option be chosen to dig them out???

Many here ask questions but really don't want the answer. You have already decided on your own opinion, and will force all facts to meet that.

While I do respect your opinion, and I'm sure some of the things you have to say are relevant, this isn't the first time this is happening this year. Back to school/labor day gave us a taste of this already.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

My question was about the NY situation. I don't have an opinion in this matter except that NY is messed up.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
You guys can try rationalize everything. Fact of the matter is that none of you deliver here. Come down here. Look at all our hand-me-down package cars from other buildings and other states. We don't do any mileage around so we don't get any new equipment. Every new car we have is 700 with a billion miles from somewhere. They can't contain anything. The route gets dispatched at 60% because nothing else will fit. Forget servicing pick up accounts, no room for it. Now that peak is here and we missed service on 100's of thousands of packages you guys show up with new package cars. Give me a break. They know what happened here. Nothing but a result of a production push within the last few years; maximize everything, push the envelope, and lets not upgrade anything. Finally biting everyone in the ass.

How many years now have we been hearing about another building opening up somewhere in Queens? Let's wait another peak before we staff it. Save a few bucks.

We're all dealing with those issues. My advice (for what it's worth) is to do your best, stay within DOT hours of service rules, and try not to stress about it. It's not worth it. The people that have to spend now to Christmas away from their families and get nothing for it are the ones that I would think would be stressed out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They're rolling volume, missing service commitments, pulling in resources that are needed elsewhere, and so on. Messed up, but I don't know the cause.

The only thing we can be sure of is that the people/persons that made plans/decisions that resulted in this reality will not be the ones blamed.