When Did the Decline Start?

Overpaid Union Thug

Maybe, but not 85% to 29%

The final numbers are not out yet, but it appears pretty even.

Can't find it, can you? Hint....because it doesn't exist.

Typical response when someone knows they're wrong but refuses to admit it.... Move on.
You didn’t look. If you had you’d have found them. Damn you’re obsessed. You have to be in order to be butt hurt enough to actually debate this at all. LMFAO!

BrownStains

FedEx has an advantage over ups because they’re not unionized. Also their ground and air operations are separate. It is easier for them to absorb additional volume.

Re-Raise

The downfall began when David Reutimann took Dale Jarrett’s seat in the UPS car!

”Race the truck, people love the truck”

sigh..

M

MenInBrown

Question for the old timers. When did you notice the company culture start to shift to the mess it is now? One of the 30 year drivers on the route next to mine says it all started to go downhill once the company went public in '99. Another driver says he noticed a change once the holiday turkeys stopped. One guy says that once "computers" were introduced, it was all over. I am a 3rd generation UPSer, and my grandfather always used to say that back in the day, drivers were honored for safe driving. Leather jackets? Watches?? Hard to believe that was once a thing. Now it's a quick mention at the PCM and a patch. No one seems to care anymore. It used to be a pride thing. Uniform standards are only suggestions now. Some guys leave the building looking like TRASH. All the while upper management sings kumbaya and acts like widespread apathy toward the job, piss poor customer service, and crapping on the most vital people in their organization will be beneficial in the long run.
Things changed at our center after the 2008 crash.

Back From Break
During which time FedEx volume increase dwarfed UPSs. Somewhere around 58% to 36%.

Disputed claims — statements or assertions in which the accuracy, truthfulness, or credibility of the claim is contested or unknown.

There are numerous articles on the web that state FedEx volume was up 85% last year.

Disputed claims — statements or assertions in which the accuracy, truthfulness, or credibility of the claim is contested or unknown.

FedEx had a higher increase in volume than us in 2020 because of the pandemic.

Overpaid Union Thug

Not butt hurt at all. Just calling out someone for posting unfounded and baseless claims and then refusing to back them up. And when he realizes that he was called out and can't back up his claims, tries to divert and says to move on.

D0351ACB-9FD3-43B3-BB66-7A1909A4B851.jpeg

Back From Break

Not a Company man, but I don't care what you think. I want this Company to thrive to support my family and give me a good retirement. If that's not what you want, so be it.

Bottom line...you're being called out for posting incorrect, misinformation and then refuse to back up your post and ultimately try to misdirect the whole issue. I will shut up, apologize and go away if you post that article you refer to about FedEx volume up 85% for the year.

Your turn........

Overpaid Union Thug

Not a Company man, but I don't care what you think. I want this Company to thrive to support my family and give me a good retirement. If that's not what you want, so be it.

Bottom line...you're being called out for posting incorrect, misinformation and then refuse to back up your post and ultimately try to misdirect the whole issue. I will shut up, apologize and go away if you post that article you refer to about FedEx volume up 85% for the year.

Your turn........
Why don’t you just ask your manager after you come out from under his desk? And if you really think the 85% wasn’t a typo (I initially said 58) then you have an even bigger issue going on than being absolutely obsessed. And the dirty knees.

Look, psycho. I saw what I saw. Was it true or exaggerated by whoever wrote it? Who knows. But I’m not obsessed with UPS enough to waste my time appeasing the Smithers of UPS because you were triggered by the mere thought of FedEx outperforming us for even a short time. Move on before you get suicidal.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Your turn........
you cant really compare percentages anyway because ups is bigger. So it is going to take fewer packages to move the needle percentage wise for fedex

Overpaid Union Thug

you cant really compare percentages anyway because ups is bigger. So it is going to take fewer packages to move the needle percentage wise for fedex
It makes since that they’d had a better 2020 than us as far as volume increases goes. Many shippers were struggling so they did what companies normally do in that situation and cut costs. We’re usually more expensive so FedEx got the nod.

FedEx has been slowly catching up for years. When I went through driver training back in the early 2000s corporate had started pulling salaried non-sales employees out of their positions and moving them into sales temporarily because FedEx had undercut us on so much volume the year before. They’ve definitely took a huge bit out of the market share that used to be ours. And they did the smart thing by ditching Amazon (like all Americans should do) and went after profitable accounts. It’s almost like UPS corporate wants to lose business.

It makes since that they’d had a better 2020 than us as far as volume increases goes. Many shippers were struggling so they did what companies normally do in that situation and cut costs. We’re usually more expensive so FedEx got the nod.

FedEx has been slowly catching up for years. When I went through driver training back in the early 2000s corporate had started pulling salaried non-sales employees out of their positions and moving them into sales temporarily because FedEx had undercut us on so much volume the year before. They’ve definitely took a huge bit out of the market share that used to be ours. And they did the smart thing by ditching Amazon (like all Americans should do) and went after profitable accounts. It’s almost like UPS corporate wants to lose business.
The strike of 97 help FedEx get much bigger.
Another one of our biggest problems is we do not give a customers what we promise them

j13501

UPS offered to take over the pension then. In hindsight it would have been a good thing. But people trusted the company even less than the union which demonstrates the work environment at the time.
Great take on the entire issue of the strike, and subsequent event of UPS "going public" with it's stock. In 1994, Oz Nelson (formally the head of Business Development) was the CEO and started the "quality" movement at UPS.

Many of the older drivers may remember the reduced emphasis on production, self-directed work groups and the push to make everything at UPS customer focused. That new program went on for 3 years, and I believe it was generated to 1) focus on customers but also, 2) to build trust (which was lacking) between the teamster employees and UPS coming into the 1997 contract negotiations.

Then in 1997, UPS offers to take over the pension, which would have been good for UPS employees and the company (but not the best thing for the teamsters union). Imagine the surprise, when corporate discovered that, not only didn't the drivers believe that the offer was good for them, but also wanted to strike!

Oz Nelson retired right before negotiations for the 1997 contract. We got a new CEO, who was an operations guy - former center, division, district, and region manager and (I believe) was COO for Nelson. After the strike was over I think that he looked at Oz's program and believed that it didn't work, and immediately instituted a return to the prior way of running the company. Who knows, maybe after the first "national wide strike" at UPS, the management committee believed that best way to protect the value of everyone's stock holdings was to "go public", rather than wait and see what would happen should FedEx ground continue to take market share.

The key point that oldngray made was absolutely true - people trusted the company even less than the union.

oldngray

nowhere special
Great take on the entire issue of the strike, and subsequent event of UPS "going public" with it's stock. In 1994, Oz Nelson (formally the head of Business Development) was the CEO and started the "quality" movement at UPS.

Many of the older drivers may remember the reduced emphasis on production, self-directed work groups and the push to make everything at UPS customer focused. That new program went on for 3 years, and I believe it was generated to 1) focus on customers but also, 2) to build trust (which was lacking) between the teamster employees and UPS coming into the 1997 contract negotiations.

Then in 1997, UPS offers to take over the pension, which would have been good for UPS employees and the company (but not the best thing for the teamsters union). Imagine the surprise, when corporate discovered that, not only didn't the drivers believe that the offer was good for them, but also wanted to strike!

Oz Nelson retired right before negotiations for the 1997 contract. We got a new CEO, who was an operations guy - former center, division, district, and region manager and (I believe) was COO for Nelson. After the strike was over I think that he looked at Oz's program and believed that it didn't work, and immediately instituted a return to the prior way of running the company. Who knows, maybe after the first "national wide strike" at UPS, the management committee believed that best way to protect the value of everyone's stock holdings was to "go public", rather than wait and see what would happen should FedEx ground continue to take market share.

The key point that oldngray made was absolutely true - people trusted the company even less than the union.
The self directed work groups were little more than a tool to try to weaken the union. Most of us gave it a try despite doubts. What we found out was that our supposed power was a joke and we were unable to change anything, Everything also had to be approved by management who could veto anything they didn't like. Instead of developing trust it backfired and increased distrust.

Question for the old timers. When did you notice the company culture start to shift to the mess it is now? One of the 30 year drivers on the route next to mine says it all started to go downhill once the company went public in '99. Another driver says he noticed a change once the holiday turkeys stopped. One guy says that once "computers" were introduced, it was all over. I am a 3rd generation UPSer, and my grandfather always used to say that back in the day, drivers were honored for safe driving. Leather jackets? Watches?? Hard to believe that was once a thing. Now it's a quick mention at the PCM and a patch. No one seems to care anymore. It used to be a pride thing. Uniform standards are only suggestions now. Some guys leave the building looking like TRASH. All the while upper management sings kumbaya and acts like widespread apathy toward the job, piss poor customer service, and crapping on the most vital people in their organization will be beneficial in the long run.
October 2009, hired on no interview, just a "walkabout". 1 week of class, in the seat. After Peak, came on pt. Ft drivers were still being drug through the month of hell qualifying and being tossed out by the droves....then...224's.....drive around and qualify after 30 days, scratch? Prob not...then the relaxed hair..the leveling of the playing field, now, drivers that show up in any number of uniform combos, smoking in the trucks, need I say more. Trucks have been poorly taken care of and often found trash ridden and management does not care about the trash, mud, or general disrepair of the fleet. I see the erosion of what was a solid working group of respected members. I suppose money is the bottom line. Thx.

quad decade guy

October 2009, hired on no interview, just a "walkabout". 1 week of class, in the seat. After Peak, came on pt. Ft drivers were still being drug through the month of hell qualifying and being tossed out by the droves....then...224's.....drive around and qualify after 30 days, scratch? Prob not...then the relaxed hair..the leveling of the playing field, now, drivers that show up in any number of uniform combos, smoking in the trucks, need I say more. Trucks have been poorly taken care of and often found trash ridden and management does not care about the trash, mud, or general disrepair of the fleet. I see the erosion of what was a solid working group of respected members. I suppose money is the bottom line. Thx.
Trashy pkg cars have been around since I started in 1981....nothing new. Smoking in trucks....still do. Until really very recently smoking everywhere in the building. I could see maybe t-shirts only(you provide the pants) in the near future.