When did you "hit the Wall"?

rod

Retired 22 years
Iv'e been on my area 15 years and I'm thinking about moving on. When I'm ahead of schedule I seem to slow down to get back to my normal time. I would like to get a country route with on-route pickups so I wouldn't be tied down to a metro. Several opening up later this year due to retirements.
Country routes are great except that everybody and their brother has a mean dog that isn't tied up.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
19 yrs. 10 months in package(not that I'm counting) and haven't hit the wall yet. Then again, I'm not on PAS/EDD; and was utility on again off again for 14 of those years. So, change does a mind and body good.

filthpig

I "hit the wall" abut 2 yrs ago but it passed after about 6 mos. I know what you mean. Now I consider myself lucky to have a good job with good pay and SECURITY.
I think that many people have this happen, with the exception being those fortunate folks like doctors, artists and a few other hight-skill occupations. That's why I'm emphasizing to my kids to make sure they get a degree associated with something they love. For example, if you loved to read could you imagine how great it would be to be a literary critic?
That said, it will get better. Just give it time and remember how having a good job allows you to do many of the things you love.

O

oldupsman

I 'hit the wall' about 9 months before I retired. Came back from a 3 week vacation after Labor Day. Was coming up on my 32nd year, all full time in package car. Was planning on staying another 2 or 3 years. Now I had done that 3 week vacation thing for years so it wasn't the reason. I can't even tell you the reason. I just came home that night, sat down on the porch with my wife, who had made us a couple of drinks, looked at her and said, "I don't want to do this anymore." And my lovely wife who had been a partner in this UPS adventure looked at me and said laughing, "Well then, friend* it, retire, we'll get by. And the next day I called the union hall and got the process started. But you know what? Just to show you how brainwashed I was I couldn't retire before peak. I felt like I'd be deserting a sinking ship.I always had a good relationship with my fellow workers, both management and union. And even now I won't badmouth UPS. I'm a great believer in a positive attitude. It was a tough place to work but it all paid off in the end.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have been at my present employer for over 17 years, and always try to improve the operating environment so I do not hit the wall. I am over 50 and still looking forward to every day...and retirement. But until then I will keep on keepin on.

Fnix

I 'hit the wall' about 9 months before I retired. Came back from a 3 week vacation after Labor Day. Was coming up on my 32nd year, all full time in package car. Was planning on staying another 2 or 3 years. Now I had done that 3 week vacation thing for years so it wasn't the reason. I can't even tell you the reason. I just came home that night, sat down on the porch with my wife, who had made us a couple of drinks, looked at her and said, "I don't want to do this anymore." And my lovely wife who had been a partner in this UPS adventure looked at me and said laughing, "Well then, friend* it, retire, we'll get by. And the next day I called the union hall and got the process started. But you know what? Just to show you how brainwashed I was I couldn't retire before peak. I felt like I'd be deserting a sinking ship.I always had a good relationship with my fellow workers, both management and union. And even now I won't badmouth UPS. I'm a great believer in a positive attitude. It was a tough place to work but it all paid off in the end.

Well I bet you made a few grand off that peak :D

O

oldupsman

Well Fnix I certainly can't deny that. But quite honestly at that stage of the game I didn't need the money. If after 32 years at UPS I didn't have myself in good financial shape I'd have no one to blame but myself.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im thinking at the end of yr 21.
And Im considering taxes, cost of gas etc. Now if Im dragging down 1 grand a week take home, for approx 50 hrs.
but its costing me 120 for gas and its going up (200 soon) or buy a small car= another payment:smart:....., and dems are going to get control of the white house, and raise my taxes by 20%.....
1000-20%more=800
800-200 for gas=600
Well I could move closer, yeah thats what they want...get us all in one little area and controlled....
And I wont have to worry about healthcare, coz it will be free...
Ill stay home and collect welfare!
I wont do this for 600 per week, unless I can make it in a straight 8 hr day.
I can make that on ebay.
Oh yeah I forgot, my pension, got started too late to matter, too many pt yrs and I cant work another 15. After this weeks weather, welfare is looking really good.

tieguy

Banned
I agree with changing what you are doing. Think about being a cover driver. It will give you a change of scene while still doing the basic job. Then after a year, bid back on a regular route again, or not. Change can be good for perspective on your current job.

d

Good point. think about changing or taking on a new hobby too. Many of the posters here have done the same thing as they get bored with the daily routines. I used to take on a new hobby or educate myself on something different every year just to stay fresh.

thebrownbox

I already got 6 months in with UPS, man time really flies.. did not hit the wall yet.. however I'm get a little tired now that they moved me from primary to loading two trucks and having to split at the same time.

satellitedriver

Im thinking at the end of yr 21.
And Im considering taxes, cost of gas etc. Now if Im dragging down 1 grand a week take home, for approx 50 hrs.
but its costing me 120 for gas and its going up (200 soon) or buy a small car= another payment:smart:....., and dems are going to get control of the white house, and raise my taxes by 20%.....
1000-20%more=800
800-200 for gas=600
Well I could move closer, yeah thats what they want...get us all in one little area and controlled....
And I wont have to worry about healthcare, coz it will be free...
Ill stay home and collect welfare!
I wont do this for 600 per week, unless I can make it in a straight 8 hr day.
I can make that on ebay.
Oh yeah I forgot, my pension, got started too late to matter, too many pt yrs and I cant work another 15. After this weeks weather, welfare is looking really good.
Well,
aren't we the "Little Miss Sunshine".
(You know I am joking)
PAX