When Will Fred Screw The Ground Contractors?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
After reading on here how little one of the HD contractors makes, how many Ground contractors are also on the ropes? Or are they all happy campers like Northbound and bbsam?

My thinking is that they think they have it made right now, and that Fred is going to help them all be millionaires. Maybe, but most of us know Mr. Smith better than they do. If Fred is making 17.5%, why not raise that figure to 20% through "greater efficiency". At Express, that means Fred is ready to pick our pockets again, and I expect the same to eventually happen at Ground too.

Someone remarked recently that Smith sought quality people at Express only long enough to build the brand and establish a solid reputation. That's beginning to sound very plausible, because it obvious that the "new" Express isn't about quality...it's about cutting costs. That same mindset will probably be brought to bear upon Ground once it is established enough for Fred to feel confident enough that he can take an even bigger share for himself and put the squeeze on the ISPs. This is the nature of the corporate weasel that Fred has become over the years. Take the chickens, the eggs, the henhouse, and screw the rooster in the backside on the way out under the fence. Beware the weasel, Ground contractors,

vantexan

After reading on here how little one of the HD contractors makes, how many Ground contractors are also on the ropes? Or are they all happy campers like Northbound and bbsam?

My thinking is that they think they have it made right now, and that Fred is going to help them all be millionaires. Maybe, but most of us know Mr. Smith better than they do. If Fred is making 17.5%, why not raise that figure to 20% through "greater efficiency". At Express, that means Fred is ready to pick our pockets again, and I expect the same to eventually happen at Ground too.

Someone remarked recently that Smith sought quality people at Express only long enough to build the brand and establish a solid reputation. That's beginning to sound very plausible, because it obvious that the "new" Express isn't about quality...it's about cutting costs. That same mindset will probably be brought to bear upon Ground once it is established enough for Fred to feel confident enough that he can take an even bigger share for himself and put the squeeze on the ISPs. This is the nature of the corporate weasel that Fred has become over the years. Take the chickens, the eggs, the henhouse, and screw the rooster in the backside on the way out under the fence. Beware the weasel, Ground contractors,

It's also the nature of Wall Street. Every year to keep the big investors happy a corporation has to show growth. If they don't, the big investors dump the stock and the price tanks. It's not enough to get a million dollar a year paycheck, the real wealth is in the stock. That's the reason everything is happening, and why we can expect continued takeaways until there's literally nothing to take away. It does show the nature of the people leading this corporation. It's not enough to get a very good paycheck, and they are willing to do this to us to get rich, or richer depending on the person. If Fred S just got his salary, and the other bosses their's, and concentrated on making this a good deal for every employee, there'd be no reason to post here. But it's about stock options, and big profits, and using people to their ends.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's also the nature of Wall Street. Every year to keep the big investors happy a corporation has to show growth. If they don't, the big investors dump the stock and the price tanks. It's not enough to get a million dollar a year paycheck, the real wealth is in the stock. That's the reason everything is happening, and why we can expect continued takeaways until there's literally nothing to take away. It does show the nature of the people leading this corporation. It's not enough to get a very good paycheck, and they are willing to do this to us to get rich, or richer depending on the person. If Fred S just got his salary, and the other bosses their's, and concentrated on making this a good deal for every employee, there'd be no reason to post here. But it's about stock options, and big profits, and using people to their ends.

That's why my message has always been to drag your feet and do everything possible to cost them profit. Screw these bastards. They deserve a special place in Hell.

HomeDelivery

some did say HD pays cheaper than Ground...

some contractors need to expand their fleet to service their areas due to real-estate developments but the company isn't approving those supplemental routes yet & they're either breaking even or losing $ to run them (that's what i'm hearing) ~ that's how Mr Smith is squeezing some profits off from the contractors w/ too much freight right now

as for me, looks like i'm better off a driver instead of an IC since it's only a $200 difference from my swing route position vs his 3-4 routes (after his weekly expenses). Good luck w/ selling those routes, Nick (PM me on why they have a target on your back)

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe so but you're certainly not.

Really? I gave detailed explanation of how I saw Fred eventually decreasing the number of contractors. The money is tight. All contractors should realize that they are always auditioning to keep their agreements with Fedex. We are always being evaluated against numbers and against each other. Anyone not down for that competition should find a way out now.

STFXG

some did say HD pays cheaper than Ground...

some contractors need to expand their fleet to service their areas due to real-estate developments but the company isn't approving those supplemental routes yet & they're either breaking even or losing $ to run them (that's what i'm hearing) ~ that's how Mr Smith is squeezing some profits off from the contractors w/ too much freight right now

as for me, looks like i'm better off a driver instead of an IC since it's only a $200 difference from my swing route position vs his 3-4 routes (after his weekly expenses). Good luck w/ selling those routes, Nick (PM me on why they have a target on your back)

They approved 1100 new PSAs last year and are looking to approve another 1500 this year. They have been a lot better about approving supplementals. But some just don't make enough to be approved as routes. And many of those contractors running supps aren't willing to buy area surrounding theirs in order to bring the numbers up to get the routes approved.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Really? I gave detailed explanation of how I saw Fred eventually decreasing the number of contractors. The money is tight. All contractors should realize that they are always auditioning to keep their agreements with Fedex. We are always being evaluated against numbers and against each other. Anyone not down for that competition should find a way out now.

Funny. I'm simply pointing-out who and what you are dealing with. And you're right that he will play you off against each other. Once he has his "select" group of contractors with numerous routes, he starts to squeeze you dry because now you're in too deep to bail-out easily. Watch your profit margins fall to the point you are making far less percentage-wise than you are now. It's hard to cut deals with the Devil.

purplesky

As I have said before on here its not only the money grab that threatens FRED THE DEVIL but the POWER of Contractors as they get big.

The devil wants to hold all the FDX cards and he isnt going to let his Dark Angels(contractors) get into a position of real power that could disrupt FRED THE DEVILS FDX.:wink2:

Fred is just too damn greedy to share with THE PEOPLE THAT DO THE ACTUAL WORK and that includes the contractors.

Fred S really is a POSTER BITCH FOR CORPORATE GREED.:greedy:

bbsam

Staff member
Well, now, I'm not looking to wage a war on Heaven or on Hell. I'll leave that to others here. Nor do I expect a 20% profit margin. But if I ca get 10% on $2million? Or 12% on $3 million? Hell, I'll take that and Fred's getting a hell of a deal.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well, now, I'm not looking to wage a war on Heaven or on Hell. I'll leave that to others here. Nor do I expect a 20% profit margin. But if I ca get 10% on $2million? Or 12% on $3 million? Hell, I'll take that and Fred's getting a hell of a deal.
He doesn't want you or any other contractor to have a "good deal." And he'll see to that.

HomeDelivery

They approved 1100 new PSAs last year and are looking to approve another 1500 this year. They have been a lot better about approving supplementals. But some just don't make enough to be approved as routes. And many of those contractors running supps aren't willing to buy area surrounding theirs in order to bring the numbers up to get the routes approved.

they should band together and push those supps into real routes... one or two have to come back for 2nd's because they can't fit it all in their stepvans (one is a P500 and another is driving a newer utilimaster P700)

more freight for everyone will "burn out" some drivers already & one had an accident due to runnin'-gunnin'; i'm already seeing others looking to get out of this scam already. I told them my max limits for the day & they'll either take it or find another dumb box monkey

bbsam

Staff member
Think so? I'll let time and experience show you the truth. If and when the Ground model goes away, who determines the value of your routes?

I'm going off history as well including a democratic party held congress and president that left Fred's special exemption in place for Express. You see, there is not a political party in the country that is not beholden to business and its interests.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm going off history as well including a democratic party held congress and president that left Fred's special exemption in place for Express. You see, there is not a political party in the country that is not beholden to business and its interests.

Who determines the value of your routes?