When Will Fred Screw The Ground Contractors?

vantexan

Did you ever see the movie "Seabiscuit"? There's a scene where Jeff Bridges' character is standing in front of his bicycle shop when he sees a car go by. That was the era when cars were still a novelty, but he grasps the concept and opportunity and soon is one of California's biggest car dealers. Kind of indicative of times constantly changing, evolving. Truth is as long as they aren't breaking laws they can run the company as they see fit. And guys like bbsam see the opportunity and get in early on what appears to have explosive potential. A car dealer doesn't make the cars, he just facilitates the sell and maintenance in exchange for being part of a huge industry that can make him wealthy. Somehow, some way, we have to convince the powers that be that we aren't here to just be exploited in their quest to exploit every opportunity to enrich themselves. But the marketplace is where we all make a living, and those who adapt best to an ever changing marketplace are those who'll benefit the most. That means getting an education in a field that's needed, or keeping our eyes and ears open to good opportunities when they are still affordable enough to get in on the ground floor(no pun intended). Otherwise we are going to have to accept alot less, and I don't see the rich and powerful ever truly changing. The fact that our very own company was at the forefront of lobbying to get the % of signed union cards needed to force a vote upped from 35% to 50% should tell you they'll never become more generous with the pay. And don't count on Democrats coming through for us either. They are never going to force the marketplace to change to where everyone has economic parity. They need the wealthy. Telling the electorate what they want to hear to get the votes needed to get into power just insures that while in power the wealthy will contribute millions to get their way. The leadership feeds off those contributions. It's all a show for the rest of us, in the end no matter what party we swear allegiance to it's all a farce because the political elite, like the business elite, have learned how to exploit the masses to their own ends. If someone reading this has never considered this before, think about it and maybe, knowing it's all a game, it'll save you alot of disappointment in our leaders. Effem.

Grounded

Well crap, I guess we all better go work for Walmart if FedEx is so terrible. Things can't be worse, after all they are always greener on the other side, and that's a fact.

vantexan

Well crap, I guess we all better go work for Walmart if FedEx is so terrible. Things can't be worse, after all they are always greener on the other side, and that's a fact.

I may have missed it, but have you always been at Ground? Ever at Express?

Grounded

I may have missed it, but have you always been at Ground? Ever at Express?

Purely ground, but I'm in contact with other OpCos fairly often. It's not an easy job, or a get rich quick job. But I feel a heck of a lot better about it then other jobs I've had. Even when I was a package handler making $100 a week.

vantexan

Purely ground, but I'm in contact with other OpCos fairly often. It's not an easy job, or a get rich quick job. But I feel a heck of a lot better about it then other jobs I've had. Even when I was a package handler making $100 a week.

I've been at Express 26+ years. Have experienced some pretty crazy situations with truly bad mgrs. But the back breaker for me is watching the company who has told me how much they care about us lie to us while building up Ground, using our raises and terminating our pension to do so. Yeah, it still pays better than Walmart, but they took away my most productive years and left me struggling to make ends meet and a chance at a better retirement. The grass will truly be greener the day that I only have to think about FedEx is when my reduced pension check is deposited.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've been at Express 26+ years. Have experienced some pretty crazy situations with truly bad mgrs. But the back breaker for me is watching the company who has told me how much they care about us lie to us while building up Ground, using our raises and terminating our pension to do so. Yeah, it still pays better than Walmart, but they took away my most productive years and left me struggling to make ends meet and a chance at a better retirement. The grass will truly be greener the day that I only have to think about FedEx is when my reduced pension check is deposited.

All of that.