When you live on top of a mountain.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Here is how it went down. Adult signature required wine shipment.
Sent a text to the number on the package requesting instructions for delivery as they live on the side of a mountain that I cannot get up in my truck. Pretty much a goat trail. NA1 as I got no response while in area.
4 1/2 hours later I get a response to my text asking why I had not called them. This after I had already left the area. Sent back that I had requested instructions for delivery. Filling in for regular driver and do not have his contact numbers for customer.
They called in concern that I had not left a delivery notice. No way to get to their door to do just that.
Gonna get an ear full tomorrow. GRRRRR!

FilingBluesFL

#1. IF the company (UPS) wants me to be in telephone contact with the customers, then they (the company) wil provide me with a cellular communication device to make contact with customers. The company (UPS) does NOT pay my phone bill, therefor my personal cellular communication device is not to be used for business purposes.

If you go out of your way to text someone on your personal cell phone, then that's on you. You might as well have called.

With that being said, on one of the rural routes I do, there is one house I remember that's way out of the way, and you cannot drive up their 3/4 mile driveway. There is a note in the board, that specifically states that you are to leave the package in a DR bag at the front gate. I had a Sig. Required one day, and left a DR notice where I usually leave the DR bags tied up.

Customer called and complained and yelled that there was no attempt made, etc. etc. After being text'ed about it on the DIAD, I texted back the situation, and that house is unreachable.

Customer met me on area, done.

Let the OMS handle it. That's part of their job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Here is how it went down. Adult signature required wine shipment.
Sent a text to the number on the package requesting instructions for delivery as they live on the side of a mountain that I cannot get up in my truck. Pretty much a goat trail. NA1 as I got no response while in area.
4 1/2 hours later I get a response to my text asking why I had not called them. This after I had already left the area. Sent back that I had requested instructions for delivery. Filling in for regular driver and do not have his contact numbers for customer.
They called in concern that I had not left a delivery notice. No way to get to their door to do just that.
Gonna get an ear full tomorrow. GRRRRR!

I would never text a customer. How do u know that phone number was a cell number and not a home number.

You falsified records also. You can't sheet as NA1 seeing as you never attempted the delivery.

FilingBluesFL

For the record, when I made my attempt, I sat at the gate and laid on the horn over and over again lol

A couple weeks ago, delivery to the same guy, he was flying out of his driveway and almost hit me head on.

Only the best...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would never text a customer. How do u know that phone number was a cell number and not a home number.

You falsified records also. You can't sheet as NA1 seeing as you never attempted the delivery.

He did attempt the delivery. He was at the gate, which was as close as he could physically get to the consignees house. He honked the horn and even tried to contact them with his personal cellphone, which he was under no obligation to do. No records were falsified. The consignee in this case has lots of options, including improving their driveway, installing a call box or buzzer at the gate, or making alternate delivery arrangements for signature required packages. What they dont have the right to do...is to get all butt-hurt because our driver texted instead of trying to call
them on his personal cell phone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He did attempt the delivery. He was at the gate, which was as close as he could physically get to the consignees house. He honked the horn and even tried to contact them with his personal cellphone, which he was under no obligation to do. No records were falsified. The consignee in this case has lots of options, including improving their driveway, installing a call box or buzzer at the gate, or making alternate delivery arrangements for signature required packages. What they dont have the right to do...is to get all butt-hurt because our driver texted instead of trying to call

I failed to read where the driver's legs were broken thus preventing him from walking up the driveway to make a valid delivery attempt.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
IMGP0816.jpg
Been waiting all day up here for my wine shipment. No point in rushing it up as it is a delightful 44 degrees at summit and 102 at the base.
IMGP0816.jpg

Big Babooba

I failed to read where the driver's legs were broken thus preventing him from walking up the driveway to make a valid delivery attempt.
How far would you walk to make a valid delivery attempt? I had a route where the house was up a mountain at the end of a 2 mile driveway. How long does it take you to walk 4 miles? If I can't drive it, it doesn't get delivered. I had another stop surrounded by an 8 foot high fence and gate. I don't have a ladder and don't have Superman powers. If the gate doesn't open, I don't go in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How far would you walk to make a valid delivery attempt? I had a route where the house was up a mountain at the end of a 2 mile driveway. How long does it take you to walk 4 miles? If I can't drive it, it doesn't get delivered. I had another stop surrounded by an 8 foot high fence and gate. I don't have a ladder and don't have Superman powers. If the gate doesn't open, I don't go in.

Back the pkg car up to the fence, bag the package, place it over the top of the fence and then walk it down until it is on the ground.

The most that I would walk for a delivery would be 1 mile each way and you can be damn sure that I would leave the package, signature required or not, if no one was home and I walked that far to make the attempt.

gman042

Island Park RV Park2[4].jpg

Here is a shot of the mountain. At the corner of the slide-out on the RV you can make out a patch of green roof. This house in question is above that on the mountain. At the far edge of the picture you can see the road up the mountain. The grades are steep. The road is one lane with no pull outs or places to turn around.
A few years ago while making my first attempt at finding the address I encountered the FEDEX driver backing down the mountain road. He had spun out in the shale rock of the customer's steep driveway. Consequently, we both ended up backing down the narrow road nearly a mile. UPS and neither FEDEX driver deliver to this address.
Island Park RV Park2[4].jpg

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would assume most of these signature required packages are preceded by an email notification to the consignee. Reading the email and being pro-active is another story.

gman042

Looks can be deceiving. The location of the address is waaaaaay up the mountain. And no.....I did not take these pictures.

There is no gate. So there is not a place to leave at bottom. These people have angered the RV park and the gas station at the bottom of the hill so there is no place to leave it for them. But today they will find a place. That is their responsibility....not mine.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

By his original post it didn't say he waited at a gate. It's still NI1 not NA1. NA1 implies that he made contact with someone just not an adult.

soberups

By his original post it didn't say he waited at a gate. It's still NI1 not NA1. NA1 implies that he made contact with someone just not an adult.

My bad, I got NA1 mixed up with NI1. It doesnt change the fact that a delivery attempt was in fact made and it is the impassability of the customers driveway that is the underlying issue. Our driver went above and beyond by trying to text them with his cellphone. NA1 vs. NI1 is not an honesty issue, at worst it is a data entry error/failure to correctly record the stop which is a big difference. The atttempt was made and there was no intention on the part of our driver to falsify records or defraud the company.

soberups

Back the pkg car up to the fence, bag the package, place it over the top of the fence and then walk it down until it is on the ground.

The most that I would walk for a delivery would be 1 mile each way and you can be damn sure that I would leave the package, signature required or not, if no one was home and I walked that far to make the attempt.

1. If the gate is locked, are you seriously going to climb over it with the customers package in hand?

2. Are you seriously going to hike off a one mile driveway? In the dark? During peak? In the snow? Dragging a hand cart with an irreg on it behind you?

3. If it is a signature required package, are you seriously going to jeapordize your job by signing for it yourself?

4. Are you seriously suggesting that a customer with a one mile long driveway that is either impassable or gated and locked off has the right to expect us to walk all the way up to their house?

I am more than willing to "go the extra mile" in order to provide good service, but not when it involves hiking that mile in the dark.

oldngray

nowhere special
If the gate is locked never climb the fence. Locked gate indicates no trespassing. I had got a complaint when I hopped over a fence trying to be a nice guy to deliver a package and never did it again.