Where do you draw the line?

CBUK

That was the point of my argument. The customer is given a daily pickup time to suit them and to suit UPS.

When they don't keep to their side of the bargain it is me and my other customers that suffer.

Its all sorted now. center manager has told me I can't afford to stay any later than 1830 to make the air feed.

Its interesting what you say about driver seniority. It counts for nothing in the U.K

I don't get to choose what round I drive. I get told what to do. I'm only on my current round because the management decided they wanted to cross train drivers for holiday cover. I've been full time for 11 years and I am the 4th longest serving driver at my centre. I might go to work and be moved onto another round overnight.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Your lack of experience really shows.

What good does it do if waiting for those packages causes your air to miss the trailer pull? Or waiting causes your ground trailer to get held up.

We have to have air back at our center by 1900, 1910 at the absolute latest if it's only a couple pieces.

2030 is the latest time I've been allowed to return with ground.

It's very simple - you miss my point completely. My point is this;

It Is Not My Call

rod

Retired 22 years
It's very simple - you miss my point completely. My point is this;

It Is Not My Call

It kind of goes along with what our Local always told us------Management has the right to run their business into the ground if they want to. If they say to babysit one customer and piss off all the rest --then so be it. Work as directed (but it don't hurt to tell your other customers what is happening so they can voice their opinions to UPS also). No one can make you drive 90 mph back to the center to get your air in on time or to make feeder pulling time. (it's the same old "talk saftey out of one side of their mouth while screaming faster-faster-faster out of the other side):peaceful:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It kind of goes along with what our Local always told us------Management has the right to run their business into the ground if they want to. If they say to babysit one customer and piss off all the rest --then so be it. Work as directed (but it don't hurt to tell your other customers what is happening so they can voice their opinions to UPS also). No one can make you drive 90 mph back to the center to get your air in on time or to make feeder pulling time. (it's the same old "talk saftey out of one side of their mouth while screaming faster-faster-faster out of the other side):peaceful:

EXACTLY! When management has made it very clear that thinking is not appreciated - following directions is. I know darn well I'll be late for the pull, but heck, my SUP told me to stay at the pickup till 8PM? I stay at the pickup till 8pm, knowing it is the wrong decision, comfortable knowing it was not mine.

poozer2000

Hmmmmm....Does "round" mean "loop" in UK?
Or "route"?

yes it does, we generally use round rather than the others. We pronounce route "root" and not int he doug heffernan style .

I am very concerned with your use of the word
FANNY and the fact you have fanny packs !! HEHEHE

CBUK

Round = Route.

Loop. In the U.K a loop is a collection of routes that border and intersect each other for mutual benefit*:wink2:

Our centre has about 15 loops.

MuppetUK

Unfortunatley they have a phrase in the UK "The customer is always right". The reality is somewhat different. Not only package drivers have this problem, feeder drivers have the same. At the minute I'm blessed with having 3 great customers that bend over backwards to help me out but in the past it's been a lot different. At one point I was regularly asked to do a feeder collection at a customer that had air packages as it was on the way back from another collection. I turned up the 1st day expecting to collect at least 4 or 5 pallets. The pick up was 4pm. I was made to wait till 6pm meaning i'd never make it back to the hub before the air trailer left. What did they put on? A Sack that weighed about 15 ounces that i could have carried back on a bicycle! despite explaining the situation to my sup several times, I had to go to management before they changed it! I also went to a customer once with a 7.5 tonne truck to pick up a "few cages of mail". I got there to find about 16 cages of mail weighing about 0.5 ton each waiting for me! When i tried to explain that i could only take half of them as the trucks payload was 4 ton I got verbally abused and swore at. Thankfully my boss said to pull out and hed sort it. I've also been on 3 hour round trips to pick up a trailer collection to find out the customer was shut for stocktaking and didnt bother to let us know! The joys of being a UPS driver lol