Where to put the package.......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, guys, I disagree with the driver on this one. How much longer would it have taken him to bag the package before putting it behind the bushes? How many of you would have been upset to come home and see a package sitting in the snow? He was also wrong in cutting across the snow to get back to the PC. I know, I normally advocate direct path from front door to PC, but with a pissed off customer the last thing I would have done was walk across his snow-covered lawn.

I agree with Sober in that I would not have called the center--I would have written down the local phone number and my first name for the consignee. There was nothing to be gained by engaging the customer other than making a bad situation worse.

The driver did keep his cool but should have refrained from making the comments that he made as he walked across the snow-covered lawn. I also chuckled when he slipped getting back in to the PC.

All of this drama would/could have been avoided had the driver simply bagged the package. I think even a jerk like this consignee would have appreciated the extra effort and care.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sorry, guys, I disagree with the driver on this one. How much longer would it have taken him to bag the package before putting it behind the bushes? How many of you would have been upset to come home and see a package sitting in the snow? He was also wrong in cutting across the snow to get back to the PC. I know, I normally advocate direct path from front door to PC, but with a pissed off customer the last thing I would have done was walk across his snow-covered lawn.

I agree with Sober in that I would not have called the center--I would have written down the local phone number and my first name for the consignee. There was nothing to be gained by engaging the customer other than making a bad situation worse.

The driver did keep his cool but should have refrained from making the comments that he made as he walked across the snow-covered lawn. I also chuckled when he slipped getting back in to the PC.

All of this drama would/could have been avoided had the driver simply bagged the package. I think even a jerk like this consignee would have appreciated the extra effort and care.
UpstateNYUPSer,

I agree.

It appears to me that this whole situation was created by the driver violating driver release methods.

The procedures clearly state that packages are to be protected from the snow.

I can't see how anyone can view placing a package, any package, in the snow is protecting it from the snow.

This situation brings 2 questions to my mind:

1. Why did he choose to violate clear driver release methods?

2. Due to the response, its seems that many of our fellow drivers are quite comfortable violating this clear method.

Is this true?

Violating driver release method is not working with Integrity, it is working against him.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was also disturbed by the number of replies which backed up the poor choice the driver made.

You were right in that my calling the consignee a "jerk' was out of line.

Indecisi0n

OK i am sorry but your guy are ...NUTS ! To put a package in the snow IMO is downright retarded. I am not putting cardboard in the snow no matter how cold it is outside. What if the customer is away for a few days? I am a casual and i have more sense than this. Don't be lazy and put it in a damn DR bag.

bigbrownhen

This situation is a little of both. Yea, pkg should be in a DR bag.....during peak....we are all rushed. The customer was a jerk. I'd bet he was sittin there waiting with the camera rolling just so he could post on Youtube. That was his priority, not the contents of the package.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
If you don't know where to put the package, you are too young to be posting here.

Agreed, Lol, so many variables to that phrase.

On point though, it should be in a D.R. bag no matter what it is, just assume package can't be water damaged.

What if package sat for a day or longer and conditions changed and snow, at least were piece was, melted and saturated package.

Only question I have is; was the driver being careless, or was he being pushed for a higher sphor?

Still, practice enough and D.R. bags don't take much time especially with such small pieces as what he had.

I wouldn't of argued with him. I would of either played deaf or been slightly sympathetic.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The customer was being arrogent though and should of just suggested driver to be carefull though. His aproach was rude, thoughtless and he could of been more understanding towards driver.

It's not what was done but how we aproach the porblem that matters and the guy was being careless.

The silverspoon feed customers are the ones to watch your backs on.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Despite the advocated use of DR bags they do not keep moisture from condensing on the inside of the bag. If left unattended long enough the package will become soaked anyway. Case in point.....a pair of expensive cowboy boots were bagged and left at a customers location.......over the winter. The customer had moved back home from his summer home in the mountains. When UPS went to recover the boots in the spring the box was soaked, the boots ruined. Not a hole in the bag anywhere. Though the boots were left for a few months in this case, I have seen condensation form on the inside of bags soaking the package within the space of a day.

AKX

Package should have been bagged if he were gonna leave it behind the bush in the snow. If he was out of DR bags just leave it on the covered porch. Yes it may be visible but atleast it is protected from weather and out of the snow. Customer was a jerk no doubt. Best thing to do is explain to the customer his logic in leaving it behind the bush and tell him to call the 800 number if he has any other concerns, then leave. I bag packages every day no matter the weather if I cant find a covered area, shed or car to stick it in. You just never know when people are gone out of town or away for a few days.

Gman, at the time of that attempt the bagged boots were a correct attempt. We live in the land of is not ifs. I wouldn`t wonder what might happen IF someone is out of town. I`d deliver it correctly per methods and be on my way.

AKX, yep you`re right. The porch was another choice. Drag his mat over it and go.

Something tells me that customer is never pleased.

outta hours

Once the guy answered the door he should have picked it back up and handed it to him. And said oh I 'm glad your home. He could have had him sign for it and explained that for his convenience he was going to leave the pkg for him. And would it be OK to leave any future deliveries there, or would he prefer another location for the box to be left at next time if he is not home. That way he would not be without his pkg for an additional day. Could have all been done in maybe 15 seconds. Much faster than a you tube taping and call to the center.

The customer is obviously a rick with a P. So it's best to outsmart him and make him think you are on his side and leaving the pkg in that spot was helping HIM not You. Or embellish the story a bit and say that you set it there, and had to go back to the truck because you thought he had another box. But now realized that he didn't. Diffuse the situation by changing the conversation to another topic. The weather, the great thing you ordered from the same shipper (even if you didn't) , the good food smell coming from inside, sports, Etc. Anything that distracts him from his initial anger so you can get out of there and be on your way. You can't win an argument with an idiot, so don't try.

Many ways to deal with people like that. Most of the time its a power issue with them. It's the only time in their miserable life they can boss someone around. Turn it around on them and they will think you are the best driver ever.

AssistantSanta

I just help for the peak, but even then, I'm told

1.) Don't walk in people's yard
2.) 3 points of contact (as you can see why...)
3.) BAG things that can get water damaged. Its no rocket science that if I DR FD in the morning in light shower on a day rain is expected, it will be soaking wet by the time customer comes home.

trouble maker

How was the driver supposed to know the box had electronic equipment inside?
It doesn't matter what was in the box. You bag it, period. Another satisfied customer that will be using Fed-ex next time. Driver looked young. That's the new breed, WORRY ABOUT YOUR PAID OVER, instead of taking care of the customer. God I'm glad I don't have that many more years left.:sad-very: