who are you going to vote for and why

who are you going to vote for

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inthegame

DDB was joking Inthegame. He was making fun of Nancy P. Sen. From Cal.
Thanks steward71 you've reinstilled my faith in mankind! Hey I like your sign, it reminds me of one I saw in my state assemblymans office "All unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy". Thanks again for clearing me up.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Had Gegare and Pope come to my local union hall last spring. Hoffa and/or Hall never bothered to show up!
Both gave impressive speeches but Sandy has a nicer butt so she gets my vote!

hembone

If you are a Teamster, a dues paying member, you have the right to vote for and support whom you chose. I fully support that. If Fred should win I will support him 100%, the same for Sandy if she should win. I however think the Hoffa/Hall slate is the best slate to take us the next 5 years. Do I think they are perfect, no way, but I think that are the best they've got to offer. However no matter who wins, at the end of the day we are all still Teamsters. Let's never let politics get in the way of that fact.

MFR2010

What's Sandy Pope's educational background and experience to be president of the Teamsters? I talked to one of her crew today, and if shes voted in were in trouble. I asked him what about the full time jobs were losing because of FedEx taking volume. His answer was, were going to unionize them. Okay so your Pope is going wave her wand and Fedex is going to become union. Everything he had to say, and he couldnt back anything up. Idiot.

frank75

What's Sandy Pope's educational background and experience to be president of the Teamsters? I talked to one of her crew today, and if shes voted in were in trouble. I asked him what about the full time jobs were losing because of FedEx taking volume. His answer was, were going to unionize them. Okay so your Pope is going wave her wand and Fedex is going to become union. Everything he had to say, and he couldnt back anything up. Idiot.
So what's Hoffa'a answer to that question? Unionize FedEx. What's Gegare's answer...unionize FedEx. Do either of them have magic wands? Don't forget, they've been in charge while all that volume went away, and now they have the right answers! As far as experience/educational background, how much experience does any candidate possess when they're against an incumbent? With that criteria we'd never elect any new people when an incumbent is running. No reason to call the guy an idiot.

mamirk69

What volume loss? According to UPS the volume has done nothing but increased be it international or remained flat domestic. Surepost is a major concern that our current administration has allowed to go on. The full time jobs not being created or collapsed is due in part to greed and nothing else. Greed our current administration has permitted to continue with UPS but Hoffa can go to campaign rallies and shout to the President to create jobs. Really! 22.3 jobs Hoffa has in writing to control and make a better way of life for some part timers out there but has ignored grievances on the panel for years. Really!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Ok here goes. In 97 we went on strike to save the pensions and create a new full time job creation. We won both and gained thousands of new good paying jobs that people could raise families on. 10 years after the strike what happened?? UPS got out of the CS PEnsion plan. Fred is raising holy hell over it now, last week, today and next week. But were was he in 2007 when it happened??????

We have had grievances over the 22.3 issue on the national panel for over 2.5 years and every time at panel they are put on committee hold. That means the Union agrees to hold it with management until the next panel 3 months later. These cases cant get in front of an arbitrator untill the get deadlocked.

UPS profits are up, IBT Teamster salaries are up, ups Teamster members moral DOWN!!!!! Everyone wins as long as your not a UPS Teamster!!!

That my friends is enough reason to give someone else a shot at running this Union. The go along to get along way that business has been done has to STOP.

A vote for Hoffa is a vote to keep things headed down the same road that we have been going.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Got my ballot 20 minutes ago. I filled it out for Sandy Pope as our next General President of the Teamsters Union and the rest of the Hall slate. I took it to the Post Office already and my vote will be counted. As many of you know I was off for an injury and I paid my dues monthly for a year and a half even though I could have taken a withdrawl card but I couldnt have voted unless I was back to work. I wasnt going to gamble my future and hop I would be back, I took charge to make sure my vote would count.

If your sick of seeing nothing gettind done at the National panels, vote for Sandy!
If your sick of being harassed for production, vote for Sandy!!
If your sick of being displaced or laid off as a 22.3, vote for Sandy!!
If your sick of getting screwed because Hoffa is in bed with UPS, vote for Sandy!
If your sick of reading new articles on how happy UPS is with Hoffa, vote for Sandy!
If your sick of the lip service from Hoffa, show his ass the door and vote for Sandy!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Lets not forget how many jobs and pension contributions we are missing due to UPS Basic and now Surepost. How many less drivers doing more work because we are giving our work away to non Teamster, non UPS employees.

804brown

Lets not forget how many jobs and pension contributions we are missing due to UPS Basic and now Surepost. How many less drivers doing more work because we are giving our work away to non Teamster, non UPS employees.

You are absolutely right Red. This election is a referendum on whether Hoffa deserves another term. You add up everything: the cozy relationship with UPS, the concessionary contracts, the split raises, inaction on 9.5 issues, inaction on 22.3 jobs, inaction on subcontracting, inaction on production harassment, his huge salary of $300,000 (12 yrs ago Ron Carey's salary was $150,000), the Central States debacle, his close ties over the years to some unsavory local leaders, etc. Does this record of disaster deserve to be rewarded with another 5 years?? NO!!

I understand Sandy Pope never worked for UPS (OOPS neither did Junior) but she is very smart and she does know our issues. She is extremely passionate about making this a better, stronger, more active union. She is the type that gets her hands dirty unlike Hoffa who sends in stand-ins or parachutes into someone else's rally , gives a short speech and is back on his jet back to DC!! She has it in her to make this union what we all want it to be: a fighting force to go up against UPS and not back down!!

Like I said before, we all gambled in 1998 that the Hoffa name would intimidate UPS Corporate. Well, as we have seen over those 13 yrs or so , the Hoffa name didnt scare anyone. It was a failed experiment. It is time to move on to the next generation of leaders willing to fight on the front lines for the rank and file. It is time for new ideas and new leadership. Look what is happening in cities throughout this country as we speak: a new generation are not sitting silently anymore, they are taking on the status quo and the corruption of Wall St and their puppets in Washington. Now it is our turn to not sit silently anymore. It is our turn to overturn the go along, get alolng mentality status quo of our IBT and elect Sandy Pope for General President!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Got my ballot 20 minutes ago. I filled it out for Sandy Pope as our next General President of the Teamsters Union and the rest of the Hall slate. I took it to the Post Office already and my vote will be counted. As many of you know I was off for an injury and I paid my dues monthly for a year and a half even though I could have taken a withdrawl card but I couldnt have voted unless I was back to work. I wasnt going to gamble my future and hop I would be back, I took charge to make sure my vote would count.

If your sick of seeing nothing gettind done at the National panels, vote for Sandy!
If your sick of being harassed for production, vote for Sandy!!
If your sick of being displaced or laid off as a 22.3, vote for Sandy!!
If your sick of getting screwed because Hoffa is in bed with UPS, vote for Sandy!
If your sick of reading new articles on how happy UPS is with Hoffa, vote for Sandy!
If your sick of the lip service from Hoffa, show his ass the door and vote for Sandy!
I didn't vote for Sandy, but I understand your frustration. Unfortunately HOffa is impossible to unseat without more awareness.

705red

Browncafe Steward
How will Hoffa win on name recognition????? Hoffa has LOST his freight support which has carried him. He has lost UPS support with harassment, 22.3 lay offs, sure post.

The only way Hoffa will win is because people wont vote for another canidate. What do we have to lose by voting Sandy ??? We already know what we will get with Hoffa, so can anything be worse????

And if Sandy does win and doesnt live up to it, then we can vote for a Sean OBrien or someone like him in 5 years.

I spent the whole day yesterday calling everyone in my phone and explaining the importance of this election. Others can do the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I were to walk in tomorrow morning and mentioned the names Sandy Pope and Fred Gegare 99+% of the people wouldn't have a clue who I was talking about. Now, I work in a small center (100-125 employees), so our votes don't mean diddly squat, but if enough small centers have the same issue, then that is where Hoffa gets re-elected.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If I were to walk in tomorrow morning and mentioned the names Sandy Pope and Fred Gegare 99+% of the people wouldn't have a clue who I was talking about. Now, I work in a small center (100-125 employees), so our votes don't mean diddly squat, but if enough small centers have the same issue, then that is where Hoffa gets re-elected.

Dave print out some flyers from her site. What good is there in you and others getting educated from sites like this if you wont share what you have learned with others. Thats what im saying, if its important enough fpr you to vote against someone, isnt important enough to make sure others do the same???

Look you have been putting your raises towards your retirement, right? Now Surepost is eliminating jobs, right? All that money you have put away will mean squat if we keep losing ft driving jobs. EVery ft employee gets over $300 a week paid on their behalf. Lose 100 ft driving jobs and hows that pension going to look???

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our pension will end up in The Governments hands, I fear. It was so close to happening this last year, it is insane. I don't believe our pension administrators have a clue. My father ran the pension fund for his local(Carpenters). When he retired, he refused to hand the reigns over to Syracuse, as he believed they were not handling the members money wisely. He would council anyone who wanted to Transfer their funds and sign a release that they had been counciled. The Syracuse pension fund invested with Madoff. My dad was right. There are administrators who are clueless.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/madoff_scheme_affects_local_un.html?mobRedir=false

Had enough

Sandy hangs with Local 804, They destroyed everything the Union stood for. If they got their advice from her and TDU we will be ruined. Fred Gegare is the way to go.

804brown

Sandy hangs with Local 804, They destroyed everything the Union stood for. If they got their advice from her and TDU we will be ruined. Fred Gegare is the way to go.

For clarification, people like "had enough" are former Local 804 board members that got booted out 2 to 1 in our union elections in 2009 and are attempting to get back in again !! These guys were used to making over $150k a year plus they gave themselves matching 401ks that the membership didnt even get plus huge pensions. (Since then the new board cut officers salary to about $110k a yr and no 401k.) They stood by as our Health and Welfare Fund was depleted and never told the membership until after they lost their re election. Real old guard crap: expensive suits, driving cadillacs, playing golf and fishing with UPS management!! Anyway everyone in 804 knows what they are about and they have no credibility anymore. The only place they think they can be heard is here on Brown cafe where no one can boo them to their face!!

UPSSOCKS

Wow I can't believe I sat and read this thread, comedy at its finest. I can't believe any of you think the outcome would directly affect YOU. In the end the teamsters will still be corrupt, someone will still get rich as your pension funds dwindle away, money will be embezzled, and you will all continue to pay dues for up-standing representation.