Who could use a smaller package car?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Have a p700 now. The mountain guys are all getting p630 in the next month. Mine will probably have a hitch included. So I can drop off a t60 for my soon to be last pick up. Do 100 stops 165 miles with 5 pick ups. As of now.

I used to have a sprinter van on my old area. I think it was called a p 450. Awesome ride there. The air drivers destroyed it

Btw. Anyone have a p630? Would like to know what they are like

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I drove a p400 from '77-'85. When UPS started in Texas in '71, they bought about every package car looking vehicle they could find, and convert it to a PC. Mine was actually a bread truck that was ordered by a bread company that had cancelled their order.

JL 0513

P32 was built on a e250 chassis. Ford stopped making the chassis. It was 320 cubic foot box, smaller than the 500.

I was questioning whether the pic you posted was actually a P32. Hard to tell exactly looking at the pic, but it looks like the bigger 500.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was questioning whether the pic you posted was actually a P32. Hard to tell exactly looking at the pic, but it looks like the bigger 500.

Thats a P-32, the P-500 was bigger and had a different hood. I liked driving a P-500 back in the day. Everything was manual steering anyways back then. They held less packages than a P-600. I had a country route one year where I drove a P-500 with 60-70 stops that had one shelf that was completely empty. I loved that route, I would drive about 200 miles a day on it.

PT Car Washer

Thats a P-32, the P-500 was bigger and had a different hood. I liked driving a P-500 back in the day. Everything was manual steering anyways back then. They held less packages than a P-600. I had a country route one year where I drove a P-500 with 60-70 stops that had one shelf that was completely empty. I loved that route, I would drive about 200 miles a day on it.
Weren't the old non power steering P-500's originally diesel and later converted to gas? We had a bunch for our rural routes. Can't remember how many times I would hit my head going in and out the back doors working the preload.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Weren't the old non power steering P-500's originally diesel and later converted to gas? We had a bunch for our rural routes. Can't remember how many times I would hit my head going in and out the back doors working the preload.

The first P-500s I saw were Fords with straight-six gas engines, they had a "high-neck" gas cap meaning you couldn't see the fuel level. The later ones were GMCs with straight six engines that were later converted with 4.3 V-6s. I bumped my head a few times going through the bulkhead door.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Saw an old P32 driving around recently. Who has a route that could use something that small? If so how many packages/miles do you do on average?

I wrapped one of those around a tree many many years ago. It was brand new. Had 2,500 miles on it. Didn't even have it's first oil change. The right wheels caught some slush on the side of the road when I was going around a turn. The road turned but the truck didn't. The ended up fixing it and sending it off to another center.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
The first P-500s I saw were Fords with straight-six gas engines, they had a "high-neck" gas cap meaning you couldn't see the fuel level. The later ones were GMCs with straight six engines that were later converted with 4.3 V-6s. I bumped my head a few times going through the bulkhead door.

If I get within 10 yards of a P 500, I'm ducking.

Think helicopter

rod

Retired 22 years

Someone must have been brain dead to waste a good Panel Truck like this with that color scheme.