Who will be left when so many leave?

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe, but Express depends a lot more on competent employees than Ground. Your parolees are tasked rather simply in comparison to the average Express courier. Fred's actions indicate that he thinks both are just about the same people doing the same job, so we'll see if customers dump Express in favor of UPS. I totally agree with fredly00's observation that the difference between a UPS "professional" and what FedEx is now offering, is pretty big. You absolutely DO get what you pay for, so Express customers can expect poor service most of the time from employees who deliver the level of customer care that reflects low pay, no respect, and crap benefits. Perhaps shippers paying a couple of hundred dollars (or more) for their shipment have a right to expect better. We've already seen the way Express blows-off FO, which is the highest-cost, earliest service that they offer. I have personally seen customers beet-red with anger over getting their 0800 "FO" along with the rest of their P1, usually because it was something crucial to their business. Fred doesn't care, and neither do most of his employees. Plus, that business won't go to Ground, it will go to UPS, because Ground cannot even come close to offering it. Wait and see.

In a relatively short time, Ground will handle all but the most time critical shipments. Just like R1a said, DRA doesn't have to work tomorrow. It has to work in the near future when Express is radically downsized. Really won't need career couriers then.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well if Ground is gonna do all that you say Scam, you guys are gonna have to polish up your act considerably. Otherwise talk is cheap.

bbsam

Staff member
Well, Cac, we just keep growing every year so we must be proving ourselves to the people who matter. I understand you may not be one of those people.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well, Cac, we just keep growing every year so we must be proving ourselves to the people who matter. I understand you may not be one of those people.
Yeah that really breaks my heart. You may be growing but not improving. 'Ya gotta do both.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe you should view the overall metrics instead of chatroom stories if you want to make substantive claims.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In a relatively short time, Ground will handle all but the most time critical shipments. Just like R1a said, DRA doesn't have to work tomorrow. It has to work in the near future when Express is radically downsized. Really won't need career couriers then.

Maybe....maybe not. Who is quitting now at Express? It isn't the old, senior people. They still make a decent hourly rate and probably can't afford to retire until they're 70, even under the old crap retirement plan. It's the mid-range and new people, along with the better, younger managers, all of whom see the writing on the wall and are getting out. I also see a radically downsized Express in the future, but one that is a profit drain rather than a profit generator. Smith is flushing the exact people he wants to keep, and the ones he wants gone are staying. Sorry, but when you charge huge money for a premium service, you need to back your product. Smith can't, at least for now. We are losing major accounts every week. "Come and get your PowerShip (or whatever version) equipment we have so it can be replaced with UPS equipment". Customers can count on UPS to get it there on-time. That is no longer the case with FedEx Express.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe Express is simply downsizing to be a coast to coast shipper in the US. Ground c.will be able to handle the majority of the rest. That might go well with the mega-stations that R1andescribed.

MAKAVELI

Maybe Express is simply downsizing to be a coast to coast shipper in the US. Ground c.will be able to handle the majority of the rest. That might go well with the mega-stations that R1andescribed.
more pipe dreams bro. I don't think they'd be buying more planes if that was the case.

bbsam

Staff member
For now, look at it as Express being in a managed restructuring where, for the time being, your greatest worth is as a huge tax writeoff for FDX.

DontThrowPackages

Maybe....maybe not. Who is quitting now at Express? It isn't the old, senior people. They still make a decent hourly rate and probably can't afford to retire until they're 70, even under the old crap retirement plan. It's the mid-range and new people, along with the better, younger managers, all of whom see the writing on the wall and are getting out. I also see a radically downsized Express in the future, but one that is a profit drain rather than a profit generator. Smith is flushing the exact people he wants to keep, and the ones he wants gone are staying. Sorry, but when you charge huge money for a premium service, you need to back your product. Smith can't, at least for now. We are losing major accounts every week. "Come and get your PowerShip (or whatever version) equipment we have so it can be replaced with UPS equipment". Customers can count on UPS to get it there on-time. That is no longer the case with FedEx Express.
I can see not to far down the road, express eliminating things like vacation, retirement and will put a cap on new hire pay. From that point, I believe they will move express under one roof with ground. Once things are running smoothly, the head of the company will hire away all ground drivers from the small business owners and the company will be one. As one, the company has the opportunity to be as well run as Brown, if not better. Without retirement plans and fair pay, the companies profitability will soar. Insurance premiums/deductibles will be so high, every employee will just opt to stay on their mom or dads insurance plan. They will, however, need to install a revolving door at every facility. I don't think they'll lose any sleep over that. In fact, that's part of the plan. The company is using its right hand to scratch its left ear but the ideal will work, so long as the right campaigns are funded.

MAKAVELI

I can see not to far down the road, express eliminating things like vacation, retirement and will put a cap on new hire pay. From that point, I believe they will move express under one roof with ground. Once things are running smoothly, the head of the company will hire away all ground drivers from the small business owners and the company will be one. As one, the company has the opportunity to be as well run as Brown, if not better. Without retirement plans and fair pay, the companies profitability will soar. Insurance premiums/deductibles will be so high, every employee will just opt to stay on their mom or dads insurance plan. They will, however, need to install a revolving door at every facility. I don't think they'll lose any sleep over that. In fact, that's part of the plan. The company is using its right hand to scratch its left ear but the ideal will work, so long as the right campaigns are funded.
This is far more plausible than contractors running Express in my opinion.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Under current "airline" regulations, Express cannot be run by contractors. This would also threaten Fred's RLA. Take a look back at R1a's posts for a comprehensive explanation. If Fred would, he could...but he can't. For now.

MAKAVELI

Under current "airline" regulations, Express cannot be run by contractors. This would also threaten Fred's RLA. Take a look back at R1a's posts for a comprehensive explanation. If Fred would, he could...but he can't. For now.
Everyone in Express knows this but some ground contractors on this forum think otherwise.

bbsam

Staff member

Under such regulations contractors can perform some. Duties now done by couriers.