Why Amazon Needs An Union

rickyb

I believe he is a cutthroat capitalist, which would make him more of a conservative (especially when it comes to workers and unions). But workers forming into a union is the cure for all greedy corporations.
its definitely not the cure.

ive done a few unionized jobs and we still have injustice, etc.

F

Frankie's Friend

I could fill a small pond every day in the summer. I slam Gatorade and water constantly so naturally I have to piss more. I bet these farmers are grateful I'm "watering" their crops.
Except that sodium or potassium chloride will kill vegetation.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
how many employees does amazon have? 566,000.

every time i get the teamster newsletter they are bragging about getting a company into the union with 15 employees. they don't have the cajones to go after amazon......not with hoffa at the helm.

gesus, his dad must be rolling over in his grave......wherever that is.

Heavy Package

Man-Peeing-Shark-Looking-Frm-Back-Funny-Picture.jpg

dudebro

capitalism leads to dehumanizing situations (peeing in bottles, etc) which wouldnt otherwise occur when a majority of workers have no voting power at their jobs.

capitalism is tyranny and has minority decision making which leads to minority benefits.

you know who needs a union: america.

when the unionization rate is 6% or whatever, we should seriously question our collective decision making about economics. a majority of people may all be very wrong about capitalism and economics.

These are fringe examples. You know, like the ones where Stalin sent people to the gulag and shot them in the head, as an example of communism and worker ownership, comrade.

I've worked in capitalist companies for 35 years, most of those at UPS, and have always just used the bathroom.

That said, I think FDX and AMZN should be Union organized. Workers by themselves don't have enough power to effectively negotiate with corporations, especially in an era where corporations themselves are segregating into a few successful cash flush mega-entities dominating the landscape and sitting on each other's boards to, if not collude, "share best practices".

This is why corporations can't think of much to invest in other than $650 billion in share buybacks in 2018.

rickyb

These are fringe examples. You know, like the ones where Stalin sent people to the gulag and shot them in the head, as an example of communism and worker ownership, comrade.

I've worked in capitalist companies for 35 years, most of those at UPS, and have always just used the bathroom.

That said, I think FDX and AMZN should be Union organized. Workers by themselves don't have enough power to effectively negotiate with corporations, especially in an era where corporations themselves are segregating into a few successful cash flush mega-entities dominating the landscape and sitting on each other's boards to, if not collude, "share best practices".

This is why corporations can't think of much to invest in other than $650 billion in share buybacks in 2018.
they didnt have worker decision making / ownership under stalin.

lets see governments killing people...o you mean that thing america does around the world in the name of corporate power? bombs, drones, etc. what about for profit healthcare in america? 44000 dead unnecessarily every year. what about for profit prisons industry which the government is in on? 2.2 million or whatever. how many locked up for no good reason. alot of people sell drugs just to get by because capitalist wages are so low.

im with you on the share buy backs and massive corporations.

joining a union is a start...

dudebro

they didnt have worker decision making / ownership under stalin.

lets see governments killing people...o you mean that thing america does around the world in the name of corporate power? bombs, drones, etc. what about for profit healthcare in america? 44000 dead unnecessarily every year. what about for profit prisons industry which the government is in on? 2.2 million or whatever. how many locked up for no good reason. alot of people sell drugs just to get by because capitalist wages are so low.

im with you on the share buy backs and massive corporations.

joining a union is a start...

No kidding they didn't. But show me a worker owned society that didn't end up that way. How safe are people from the government in North Korea? Why is China only becoming a superpower since it turned to capitalism?

As for the US, we're not angels, but, you mean killing people with drones who mostly would be flying airplanes into buildings or driving into crowds with rental vans because (insert deity here)? Those aren't political dissidents. Those are people who think they should be killing "others". Some people won't listen to reason, and need to be decimated by force to be defeated.

And your basic drug dealer lives with his or her mom because he makes 20-30k a year. He just doesn't want to have to wake up early or be where he's supposed to on time every day because he's a loser, not because he's oppressed. Great thing about dealing is you sling when you feel like it.

Prisons - idk. I don't think people should be locked up for a joint, and Netflix has found a few people who shouldn't be locked up in their documentaries, but when HBO interviewed the "toss my salad" guy, well, I'm glad that guy is (was?) in jail. I don't think he ever becomes a reformed, productive member of society.

rickyb

No kidding they didn't. But show me a worker owned society that didn't end up that way. How safe are people from the government in North Korea? Why is China only becoming a superpower since it turned to capitalism?

As for the US, we're not angels, but, you mean killing people with drones who mostly would be flying airplanes into buildings or driving into crowds with rental vans because (insert deity here)? Those aren't political dissidents. Those are people who think they should be killing "others". Some people won't listen to reason, and need to be decimated by force to be defeated.

And your basic drug dealer lives with his or her mom because he makes 20-30k a year. He just doesn't want to have to wake up early or be where he's supposed to on time every day because he's a loser, not because he's oppressed. Great thing about dealing is you sling when you feel like it.

Prisons - idk. I don't think people should be locked up for a joint, and Netflix has found a few people who shouldn't be locked up in their documentaries, but when HBO interviewed the "toss my salad" guy, well, I'm glad that guy is (was?) in jail. I don't think he ever becomes a reformed, productive member of society.
no no no the majority of drone killings are not for the intended targets.

when you earn min wage working 40 hours a week, you have to sell drugs to get by. there might not even be a job for you.

people are locked up in america not even for doing anything. theyre locked up because they earn a private prison company $50,000 a year. the charges are often bogus.

if you want to see worker ownership check out italy's emilia romagna coops. 2/3rds of the GDP there is coops. part of the problem of finding a better system than capitalism is that people ate up the government and private industry propaganda about capitalism. people dont believe, and so they fail. im pretty sure spain had a war about worker coops during WWII when the allies and fascists joined to destroy it. UK and the america destroyed alot of italian worker coops right after WWII ended. but italy still has the most worker coops of any country in the world.

governments are likely always the biggest terrorists with their wars and governments and corporations likely always kill the most people with their reckless behavior for profits and wars.

Gimme Danger

its definitely not the cure.

ive done a few unionized jobs and we still have injustice, etc.

It's not a cure-all, but it allows workers to address concerns in a more equitable situation.

how many employees does amazon have? 566,000.

every time i get the teamster newsletter they are bragging about getting a company into the union with 15 employees. they don't have the cajones to go after amazon......not with hoffa at the helm.

gesus, his dad must be rolling over in his grave......wherever that is.
Amazon and its subsidiaries are enormous. There should've been organizing in a coordinated way a long time ago. But we still need to get going on that. Amazon is going to fight all attempts, hard. A sub decided to move operations out of RI recently because there was an organizing drive by my local. They'll risk breaking the law because labor law is relatively weak.

rickyb

It's not a cure-all, but it allows workers to address concerns in a more equitable situation.

Amazon and its subsidiaries are enormous. There should've been organizing in a coordinated way a long time ago. But we still need to get going on that. Amazon is going to fight all attempts, hard. A sub decided to move operations out of RI recently because there was an organizing drive by my local. They'll risk breaking the law because labor law is relatively weak.
you killed it man.

yep, unions are a step in the right direction.

ralph nader radio hour has covered amazon monopoly many times.