Why do you stay?

Cementups

Box Monkey
After reading a bunch of negativity towards UPS in other threads it would make any person just stopping in to check things out wonder what makes someone stick around and work for UPS. I know for most, the money is a big incentive, but in the end happiness is what should reallymatter in your job choice. Now while I don't really like working till 7 p.m. some nights, i appreciate my job and the opportunities that UPS has brought to me that I might possibly might not have been given otherwise.

So why do YOU stay?

sealbasher

After reading a bunch of negativity towards UPS in other threads it would make any person just stopping in to check things out wonder what makes someone stick around and work for UPS. I know for most, the money is a big incentive, but in the end happiness is what should reallymatter in your job choice. Now while I don't really like working till 7 p.m. some nights, i appreciate my job and the opportunities that UPS has brought to me that I might possibly might not have been given otherwise.

So why do YOU stay?

its a good job once you leave the building ,the days go fast ,lots of women,its just a nightmare dealing with sups who know nothing

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The physical aspect - it keeps me in good strength and shape without paying for some overpriced trendy gym membership. The ONLY reason.

The money is average (55k) and the work is mindless.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Unlike most jobs time doesn't drag on. You have something that really fills your work day and somedays I'm surprised how quickly Friday comes around.

I also love the fact you only see your supes in the morning and hardly when you get back.

brownrodster

The money is average (55k) and the work is mindless.

I don't know any drivers who only make 55k. 70+ seems to be the norm. We had a couple drivers make over 90k the last couple years.

Money is definately the reason I stay. But the day I'm elligible for retirement I'm gone. I shall simply ninja vanish.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't know any drivers who only make 55k. 70+ seems to be the norm. We had a couple drivers make over 90k the last couple years.

Money is definately the reason I stay. But the day I'm elligible for retirement I'm gone. I shall simply ninja vanish.

That is still average. You (or the majority of drivers) work 2x as hard as I do, so you should technically be making 100k as far as I'm concerned.

Overpaid Union Thug

I stay because I actually like my job. It's the only job I've ever had that I didn't dread coming to each morning. Even the ridiculous way the company has been run since peak (route cutting, excessive hours, etc.) hasn't gotten me down. Sure, I, as well as plenty of other drivers in our center, are sick of the long days but it's still a piece of cake if we just do the job by the methods and let management worry about wether or not we will be over 9.5 or over 10.5. We all vent like people do in just about any job there has ever been on the planet but to complain doesn't mean you should quit.

bluehdmc

The money is good, the benefits are good. Like previous posters have said, once you leave the bldg you're kinda on your own. I'm in feeders off the street. I tell people it's the best job I ever had for the worst company I ever worked for. I could do without some of the bs, the tattoo notices. The constant reminders about idle time, and some of the bs like, "Why was your turnaround time so long."
A lot of this is just recent bs, because volume is down. When I started 3+ yrs ago we were real busy, 10hr days in feeders was sorta the norm. Now they've been trying to keep everyone to 40hrs.

broncobros1

The money is good, the benefits are good. Like previous posters have said, once you leave the bldg you're kinda on your own. I'm in feeders off the street. I tell people it's the best job I ever had for the worst company I ever worked for. I could do without some of the bs, the tattoo notices. The constant reminders about idle time, and some of the bs like, "Why was your turnaround time so long."
A lot of this is just recent bs, because volume is down. When I started 3+ yrs ago we were real busy, 10hr days in feeders was sorta the norm. Now they've been trying to keep everyone to 40hrs.

For being off the street and only 3 years your pretty bitter. As you said the volume is down...UPS is trying to save money. I'm sure that your center has a goal for idle time and the run you BID has an allotted time for TA. I would be willing to bet if you accomplished these two items they would leave you alone. If something else is holding you up on your TA, let someone know. If you say nothing they will just think that your stealing time. Just my 2 cents.

yeldarb

I like my job. I have never made less than 65k since being top rate. I get 5 weeks vacation, 4 option days, 6 sick days, 6 paid holidays, a good retirement, great medical coverage, perks from customers on my route, and I live on my route. There are occasional days which are hell, but UPS is a good career, which allows me to spend time with my family, and not have to worry about many of the economical stresses which much of the country is dealing with. Also, I have made many friends who are friends outside of work also.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I stay for the money. The first day I can crunch the numbers and feel confident about my finances is the day I leave, and that day is getting closer :). I don't mind the job, but I won't stay one second longer than I absolutely have to.

upsman29

I have always felt blessed working for UPS, I started working at UPS 20 years ago, 2 weeks after I graduated from high school and been one of the few jobs I've ever worked, its help provide my family and myself with a good living... With that said there have been days I wished I was some where else enjoying a drink with some kind of umbrella in it listening to the waves crash against the shoreline but overall its not a bad job... The benefits and salary make the bad days easily bearable... If you take everything personal UPS isn't the place for you, you have to let things just roll off your back because it will drive you absolutely crazy if you're unable to do so...

M

Mike23

It's likely the best paying job with the lowest education demand to it. Who else can claim they can rival a police officers salary just for driving around and delivering packages?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The only reason i have stayed this long is UPS has allowed me to drink better brands of booze.
No more cheap domestic rot gut, now I can try the imported rot gut.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I actually happen to like my job. Sure I could deal without the usual game playing but "it is what it is." The job keeps me in shape (I haven't had to do an intense workout in years other than crunches and sit-ups and things like that). It also pays quite well which often outweighs the foolishness that we deal with from management and some customers.

Tony31yrs

I always told people that UPS was like working for the Gestapo. They followed you around, intimidated you and tried to catch you doing something wrong. I got out of college and couldn't find a job teaching when they gave me a chance to go full-time. I was about to get married and start a family, so I took it. Once you get used to the money and benefits, it's hard to leave. You have to pretty much give up any kind of a normal life Monday-Friday, so you work for the weekend. The job wasn't bad-it was the people you had to work for. In the long run it was worth putting up with the B.S. since I was able to retire at 50 with a full pension. Do I miss it? Hell no! I was just a mercenary.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

So why do YOU stay?

You have not met my wife!