Why do you stay?

deathracer

1. dont have to deal with customers(im not a driver) hate customer service jobs.
2. i can eat whatever i want and loose the weight working.
3. im an insomniac so my body is tired and i can sleep after work.
4.only a part time job.
yes i can make more money, well i do make money off my side jobs(computers) but hate dealing with slow ppl so you get the idea why
i put .1 up there.

bluehdmc

For being off the street and only 3 years your pretty bitter. As you said the volume is down...UPS is trying to save money. I'm sure that your center has a goal for idle time and the run you BID has an allotted time for TA. I would be willing to bet if you accomplished these two items they would leave you alone. If something else is holding you up on your TA, let someone know. If you say nothing they will just think that your stealing time. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a feeder driver, it's not just me they're giving a hard time too. I was covering a route got delayed in the office getting directions and stuff then had to find cpu trailer. Was just surprised been here 3+ yrs and was first time ANYONE questioned my TA time. I usually make the extra effort for the dispatchers and it is appreciated at least by the dispatcher.
I've worked a few other union (not teamsters) and non union jobs, whenever business gets slow they start looking at the little things.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I think you might get different flavors of answers depending on who you are asking.

Asking someone who has made it to have a driving route after a few years, it seems to be the money.

Someone like me, who is a cover driver & "may" get a route "someday", I ask myself on a daily basis why I stay. Benefits, certainly, but the best benefits on the planet don't pay the mortgage.

If something presented itself that offered a steady 40 hour week with decent pay, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

UPSGUY72

After reading a bunch of negativity towards UPS in other threads it would make any person just stopping in to check things out wonder what makes someone stick around and work for UPS. I know for most, the money is a big incentive, but in the end happiness is what should reallymatter in your job choice. Now while I don't really like working till 7 p.m. some nights, i appreciate my job and the opportunities that UPS has brought to me that I might possibly might not have been given otherwise.

So why do YOU stay?

Every job has both good and bad points. The job isn't really that bad unless you let it get to you. Sure we bust are a-- all day for 8, 9, 10 hrs a day and management always finds some reason to tell you you messed something up.

But look we get weekends off, great health benifits, pension, 401k, paid vacations, sick days, personal days and a free workout everyday. I don't mind the hard work and my day flies by. Its also a hell of a lost better than sitting in a office looking at four walls. When I clock out I leave my job at the door and go home and have fun with my family.

Most people come to work at UPS for the pay and benifits. They where warned when they started that they would be busting there a-- most of the time and expect to work over time.

The whole problem with people these days is they want there cake and be able to eat it too. I hear alot of people bitch but you don't see to many leave because they aren't going to find a job out there that pays any where close to what UPS pays them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Every job has both good and bad points. The job isn't really that bad unless you let it get to you. Sure we bust are a-- all day for 8, 9, 10 hrs a day and management always finds some reason to tell you you messed something up.

But look we get weekends off, great health benifits, pension, 401k, paid vacations, sick days, personal days and a free workout everyday. I don't mind the hard work and my day flies by. Its also a hell of a lost better than sitting in a office looking at four walls. When I clock out I leave my job at the door and go home and have fun with my family.

Most people come to work at UPS for the pay and benifits. They where warned when they started that they would be busting there a-- most of the time and expect to work over time.

The whole problem with people these days is they want there cake and be able to eat it too. I hear alot of people bitch but you don't see to many leave because they aren't going to find a job out there that pays any where close to what UPS pays them.

Great point, most companies pay at least slightly more, if not far more than $8.50/9.50. :peaceful:

bigbrownhen

I stay to provide for my family. There are no other jobs around here that comes close to comparing what UPS provides, especially with the limited education I have (GED). I don't have a back up career choice. That being said, I actually like my job. The customer contact and being outdoors all day are better than a cubicle. IMO.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I stay because I've grown to love my career as a mechanic HERE at UPS. The pay and benefits where never an issue when I got hired, I just wanted a steady pay all year round and wanted off the flat rate pay scale I was getting from the dealers. When I made top rate then I was like " OK, think I like it a lot more now " 65k per year average, not to shabby. I would say that I stay just for my family but that would be lying! I really do like my job. the bennys and pay is just a plus.:happy-very:

thessalonian13

After reading a bunch of negativity towards UPS in other threads it would make any person just stopping in to check things out wonder what makes someone stick around and work for UPS. I know for most, the money is a big incentive, but in the end happiness is what should reallymatter in your job choice. Now while I don't really like working till 7 p.m. some nights, i appreciate my job and the opportunities that UPS has brought to me that I might possibly might not have been given otherwise.

So why do YOU stay?
3 things keep me here at ups.... 1.PENSION 2.PENSION 3.PENSION... otherwise I'd be outta here faster than you can say "bye"... Job takes a terrible toll on my body and I'm tired of dealing with clueless managers who don't care.... My customers are great.....

Cementups

Box Monkey
I stay to provide for my family. There are no other jobs around here that comes close to comparing what UPS provides, especially with the limited education I have (GED). I don't have a back up career choice. That being said, I actually like my job. The customer contact and being outdoors all day are better than a cubicle. IMO.

Your limited education doesn't/shouldn't hold you back, your'e desire for more does. I can't really point fingers at anybody, especially on this forum, since we are all technically oarsmen on the same boat.

My SIL's was telling me there are guys at his job that make anywhere from $25-$75 per hour and up to 10 weeks vacation (paid) per year and sick and personal days along with benefits and only work M-friend normal work hours. I asked him if he coould get me a job and he asked me what I could do. My response, "I can learn to do anything." My point being, all the opportunities in the world are out there for you as long as you want it bad enough to go for it. My 3 year old asked me the other week if she could do something (career) when she was older and with tears in my eyes I told her, "Honey, you can do anything you want."

The only thing that limits you is you.

Last edited:

wadep

The only reason I stay is to see how it all turns out in the end!!!! Wages are average (Alberta avg wage is 23.90/hr) Benefits are just below avg. Vacation time is avg. Pension is avg at best. But hey I have seniority in my building, work with some fantastic people.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I stay because at this point there aren't any viable options. The companies that are looking for drivers are the companies that are always looking for drivers. Reason being, poor wages and driver treatment. I'm also past the living in the truck thing. When it comes down to the actual job, this is the best trucking job there is. It's just all the peripheral nonsense that goes along with it that is frustrating. It would be ALOT easier to take if volume was up and work was plentiful.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The point has been made here on numerous occasions that PTers at UPS are not fairly compensated for the work that they do and can earn comparable wages flipping burgers. The carrot that they dangle of future potential continues to diminish and will diminish further when the dust in 2013 settles and we have a tiered wage system in place. The next 10 years cannot pass quickly enough!

rod

Retired 22 years
The point has been made here on numerous occasions that PTers at UPS are not fairly compensated for the work that they do and can earn comparable wages flipping burgers. The carrot that they dangle of future potential continues to diminish and will diminish further when the dust in 2013 settles and we have a tiered wage system in place. The next 10 years cannot pass quickly enough![/QUOTE]

Be careful what you wish for. You ought to experience how quickly time flys once you have retired