Why does grieving scare management?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Does a grievance against a supervisor get placed in their personnel file?

No; not at all. The Sup's "Personnel File" lists Training, Career stuff, etc.
I can assure you that if a particular Sup has an abundance of Grievances, the Company will investigate. No worries!

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
First: Mr. 1989, if you have had "hundreds" of grievances filed against you, you probably need to go back to mgmt school!!!!! And to say you have never lost one seems to improbable.

Second: Most Mgmt dont care about art 37 unless they perceive they are the ones being treated unfairly!!!

Third: If you file legitimate grievance for Sup working, or any number of things that can result in a monetary award, it gets the attention of their labor bosses whom in turn discuss things with a division mgr to get them corrected. When the same mgmt person gets numerous judgements against them their name gets bandied about even more, and eventually the upper bosses will make a decision on someones future in either their position or the career. That is why some mgmt get nervous or angry.

Fourth: If you have a bad boss, and he is not contractually correct, MAKE HIM FAMOUS !!!!!!

KingofBrown

that's a good comment bubble, but is there a way you can griev for money for article 37? or what type of grievance should we make so that the sups really comply with article 37 with "respect and dignity." because i've seen employees filing grievance after grievance for article 37, and the union does nothing to the sup. they just keep filing grievances and i've never seen a punishment or something. as you said they're just spinning their wheels. please advise. thanks.

SkiWarning

CACH Ski Warning
Grievance's don't really scare most management people. I've had grievances treaten on me and even filed, but those didn't make me hide in a closet. We talk about the grievance, and if I'm wrong, it's corrected. If there's no merit to the grievance, and the employee still wants to file it; so be it. We still have to make sure the packages get to where they are suppose to. That's what keeps all of our jobs alive. We want to come in, do our jobs, and get out of there just as quick as anyone else. But we all know that everyone isn't going to be happy all of the time.

Just_another_day_at_work

that's a good comment bubble, but is there a way you can griev for money for article 37? or what type of grievance should we make so that the sups really comply with article 37 with "respect and dignity." because i've seen employees filing grievance after grievance for article 37, and the union does nothing to the sup. they just keep filing grievances and i've never seen a punishment or something. as you said they're just spinning their wheels. please advise. thanks.
For me the art. 37 worked out on the sup who intimidated and harassed me and got a nerve to tell me that I am stealing time:angry: when I covered a route, but never wanted to ride with me to prove me wrong about coming in late. Anyway from that day he didn't say a single word to me.:happy-very: I did my job and he did whatever.

First: Mr. 1989, if you have had "hundreds" of grievances filed against you, you probably need to go back to mgmt school!!!!! And to say you have never lost one seems to improbable.

By following procedure, never had a paid griev. for sup working....

Preloader calls in sick...
Note to self (put in a rec for a new hire) but new hires don't last if they only work one to three days a week.

1. document on pittsburg (u6135)
2. Call other centers/unload for a loaner.
3. Call drivers on THE LIST.
4. Look for a new sup to load.
5. Load myself.
6. At the end of the sort keep one or two loaders to follow me around to get rid of late pkgs or if I have to move it myself. (what is left behind I must deliver)
7. Show a record of times that I called everyone to the ba if needed and file.
8. Submit a timecard for myself.

Second: Most Mgmt dont care about art 37 unless they perceive they are the ones being treated unfairly!!!

Third: If you file legitimate grievance for Sup working, or any number of things that can result in a monetary award, it gets the attention of their labor bosses whom in turn discuss things with a division mgr to get them corrected. When the same mgmt person gets numerous judgements against them their name gets bandied about even more, and eventually the upper bosses will make a decision on someones future in either their position or the career. That is why some mgmt get nervous or angry.

Fourth: If you have a bad boss, and he is not contractually correct, MAKE HIM FAMOUS !!!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Grievance's don't really scare most management people. I've had grievances treaten on me and even filed, but those didn't make me hide in a closet. We talk about the grievance, and if I'm wrong, it's corrected. If there's no merit to the grievance, and the employee still wants to file it; so be it. We still have to make sure the packages get to where they are suppose to. That's what keeps all of our jobs alive. We want to come in, do our jobs, and get out of there just as quick as anyone else. But we all know that everyone isn't going to be happy all of the time.

I see your a cup at Cach, let me ask you if you are not scared than why do you lie and write statements saying I was not doing union owrk? The sups in Chicago for the most part have no stones. Tell your boss the truth, I was working to make your BS numbers that are impossible without me working. You only create more of a problem by not telling the truth.

tieguy

Banned
I've never felt threatened by them. I don't know many management people that are really bothered by them. I think its just another communication channel for those that need a union to engage in basic dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Let me explain this sentence in truck driver terms for everyone that didnt understand Tie. When people get sick of being walked over and decide to stand up for themselves against contract violating management a grievance is the perfect way to go. How many times as a steward have we heard the argument for not discussing the problem first? Too many!

Its simple if a driver does not want lets say 9.5 either get him off the road under 9.5 or pay him triple time, why must we file a grievance in order to get whats spelled out in the contract?

Red I missed this question because I try to stay away from the labor threads for peace of mind reasons.:funny:
I think some people are great at communicating their concerns or problems and they usually file very few grievances.
I agree with your overall point but I also see the other side to your point where people try to define contractual language to a definition beyond its intent.

For some the grievance process is a means to get some dialogue going. I'm not sure they would have the guts to say anything if not for the grievance process.

tieguy

Banned
I see your a cup at Cach, let me ask you if you are not scared than why do you lie and write statements saying I was not doing union owrk? The sups in Chicago for the most part have no stones. Tell your boss the truth, I was working to make your BS numbers that are impossible without me working. You only create more of a problem by not telling the truth.

phew. Cach is a big place with lots of sups. How do you know you know you didnt roast one of the good ones?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red I missed this question because I try to stay away from the labor threads for peace of mind reasons.:funny:
I think some people are great at communicating their concerns or problems and they usually file very few grievances.
I agree with your overall point but I also see the other side to your point where people try to define contractual language to a definition beyond its intent.

For some the grievance process is a means to get some dialogue going. I'm not sure they would have the guts to say anything if not for the grievance process.

I agree that sometimes we need the grievance to get the proper interpertation of the meaning of the langauge. I have a manager on the twilight now were I am and the grievance have gone down way down. Because he wants to be involved and holds his people accountable. He has been here since Sept and already I have a great deal of respect for him. the last two clowns encouraged the sups to work which created a hostile work place, because we would walk around and watch them working and ask them to stop. Only to have them write a statement saying they werenot working.

705red

Browncafe Steward

phew. Cach is a big place with lots of sups. How do you know you know you didnt roast one of the good ones?

Tie is right, and if you are a sup that does teh right thing, which is still possible I quess i do apologize. but if your not my post still stands, I guess your reply will tell us.

Scooter1

The best way to turn an Article 37 (harassment) into a money issue and get their attention is to get as many people involved as possible. Have the union arrange a meeting with the shop stewards, PT supervisor, the FT supervisor and manager. Then call in anybody you can get as a witness. When you start adding up the time is takes to hold a grievance meeting with all these people involved, it starts adding up quickly. If the issue is not resolved and the harassment continues, file again and again. Eventually, management will be forced to address the problem or continue to waste time (which for them is money) in the meetings. You would think it's easier to treat employees with dignity and respect that to have to go through all this.