Why don't people want to drive?

scisector9

Howdy. I was curious if any of you had issues at your center getting package car driver positions filled. I'm fairly new to this, but for the past several weeks we have had different colored neon signs posted throughout our building saying "Package car drivers need, see HR or manager for details." Being a new off the street driver I thought that people waited years to get the chance to drive. I was talking to an on car supe the other day and she wasn't sure why. "It's a hard job...." I asked my management if it was seasonal or perm. and they said both. Seems crazy to me that we would need to post signs everywhere to get these positions filled. Being new to big brown, I had a few theories I wanted to propose:

1. Is it a generational thing? I managed a restaurant for a few years and the kids now a days are totally entitled. It's an instant gratification world now a days due to technology and pop culture. Do people not want to work 55 hours a week, through snow heat and rain? Is it just easier to be content working part time?
2. Driving records....too many duis and speeding tickets.
3. Us bitching? Are people freaked out when they see drivers miserable? I personally am not to that point, I see UPS as a great opportunity for me and my family, but a lot of guys around my center are rather disgruntle. Super disgruntle. I have my ****ty days where I need bailed out, or loads are garbage, etc. etc. but I've done worse work. It sucks, but I made my seniority and try my best to get the job done. I figure they need me pretty bad.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have been with UPS for about two months now, and we have had three people retire, and four more retiring before peak. I've had a lot of people, mngmt included, say this was going to be a rough peak season.

Any one else?

Cheers

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Howdy. I was curious if any of you had issues at your center getting package car driver positions filled. I'm fairly new to this, but for the past several weeks we have had different colored neon signs posted throughout our building saying "Package car drivers need, see HR or manager for details." Being a new off the street driver I thought that people waited years to get the chance to drive. I was talking to an on car supe the other day and she wasn't sure why. "It's a hard job...." I asked my management if it was seasonal or perm. and they said both. Seems crazy to me that we would need to post signs everywhere to get these positions filled. Being new to big brown, I had a few theories I wanted to propose:

1. Is it a generational thing? I managed a restaurant for a few years and the kids now a days are totally entitled. It's an instant gratification world now a days due to technology and pop culture. Do people not want to work 55 hours a week, through snow heat and rain? Is it just easier to be content working part time?
2. Driving records....too many duis and speeding tickets.
3. Us bitching? Are people freaked out when they see drivers miserable? I personally am not to that point, I see UPS as a great opportunity for me and my family, but a lot of guys around my center are rather disgruntle. Super disgruntle. I have my ****ty days where I need bailed out, or loads are garbage, etc. etc. but I've done worse work. It sucks, but I made my seniority and try my best to get the job done. I figure they need me pretty bad.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have been with UPS for about two months now, and we have had three people retire, and four more retiring before peak. I've had a lot of people, mngmt included, say this was going to be a rough peak season.

Any one else?

Cheers

Smelling major troll.

UPS would never have these messages on neon signs inside one of their buildings.

The last place UPS wants or looks for drivers is from within. If they can hire from outside without the 7 to 1 ratio coming into play, UPS would be hiring drivers aggressively.
​UPS has identified one of their biggest problems is the hiring of 18 year olds into part-time positions and then having to hire them into driver positions. All you have to do is read this board and see the kind of entitlement and lack of appreciation that employees that have never worked anywhere else have.
UPS would rather hire 25 year olds that have worked elsewhere into driver positions.

For the reasons above, I call total BS on this post.

nystripe96

I he is doubt a troll. Same goes for my center. Drivers are always needed in my building because either the PT's are set in their ways, aren't licensed, or have points and restrictions on their license. Also, there are quite a number of employees that I know of that have 2 or fewer years inside going driving at my hub. Myself included!! I could understand centers outside of the big cities not hiring drivers, but at least where I work new drivers are a necessity for reasons just mentioned.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He is not a troll. Same goes for my center. Drivers are always needed. There are many employees that I know of that have 2 or fewer years inside going driving at my hub. Myself included. I could understand centers outside of the big cities not hiring drivers, but at least where I work in Maspeth new drivers are a necessity

What you are saying makes sense and is believable.

However, back to the previous posts:
Do you have neon signs in the Maspeth Hub begging part-timers to go driving?

UPS puts up the bid/signup sheet and if no part-timers signup, it is glee club time ... go hire some drivers quick.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What you are saying makes sense and is believable.

However, back to the previous posts:
Do you have neon signs in the Maspeth Hub begging part-timers to go driving?

UPS puts up the bid/signup sheet and if no part-timers signup, it is glee club time ... go hire some drivers quick.
We actually do have neon signs in our hub, but they usually run safety jargon.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Smelling major troll.

UPS would never have these messages on neon signs inside one of their buildings.

The last place UPS wants or looks for drivers is from within. If they can hire from outside without the 7 to 1 ratio coming into play, UPS would be hiring drivers aggressively.
​UPS has identified one of their biggest problems is the hiring of 18 year olds into part-time positions and then having to hire them into driver positions. All you have to do is read this board and see the kind of entitlement and lack of appreciation that employees that have never worked anywhere else have.
UPS would rather hire 25 year olds that have worked elsewhere into driver positions.

Dont be so sure. Our HR makes any potential off the street drivers work a seasonal period first. I have only seen one guy want to stick around after the seasonal period. Problem is most quality workers already have a decent job and can't afford to quit just for a seasonal period.

ikoi62

i don't think he means neon sign in the old school term...i think he means the scrolling signs you see at stores...

Let's post names of centers needing drivers. This may increase ones chances to transfer. Transfer list comes out October 1.

Whargoul

Smelling major troll.

Sounds like my hub. It's a pretty small hub and both our doghouses are just trailers connected to the building. It's like the ghetto of UPS's. We cover a lot of area though. Anyway, I noticed for the past year they don't even put bid sheet's up anymore. Really pissed me off because I wanted to drive for awhile. I've seen them use the PT sups working the preload for driving and hiring people off the street without asking any PTers in the building if they are interested. The people they do ask are usually "favorites" that don't want to drive anyway - they don't go by seniority either. I've always had to hunt down our HR rep to get on the list.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Post a photo, why don't ya'! signbot.gif
signbot.gif

Last edited:

OptimusPrime

You must work inside "the bubble".

For the reasons above, I call total BS on this post

Our best drivers come from within. It's the slack jawed yokels who come in off the streets that don't get the mindset that fail. Or you probably come from one of those easy street centers where they send you off with 75 stops a day.

scisector9

Yes to clarify it is on neon paper...we have had three different neon colored papers posted everywhere over the past month or so. Guard shacks, restroom doors, offices, break room, etc. etc. I would imagine we are just trying to bump up cover for peak maybe? I just assumed there was a waiting list with people waiting their turn and they would know who was up and ready for said positions. Maybe not?

Being one of the off the street hires I considered myself rather fortunate to have landed a full time driving job at UPS. UPS driving positions are the "crem de le crem" in the industry so to speak, at least in my area. Being new to Big Brown I was just curious if this was a common issue other places, or just at my particular local.

Hope that helps clarify, although some fancy neon signs posted everywhere would be swell. Wonder what the safety committee would think of them distractions.

Cheers

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sounds like my hub. It's a pretty small hub and both our doghouses are just trailers connected to the building. It's like the ghetto of UPS's. We cover a lot of area though. Anyway, I noticed for the past year they don't even put bid sheet's up anymore. Really pissed me off because I wanted to drive for awhile. I've seen them use the PT sups working the preload for driving and hiring people off the street without asking any PTers in the building if they are interested. The people they do ask are usually "favorites" that don't want to drive anyway - they don't go by seniority either. I've always had to hunt down our HR rep to get on the list.

Sounds made up.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
New contract gives us the option to break up two weeks vacation into single vacation days. Would be great to have a few three or four day weekends throughout the year.
​However, my center cannot get a single part timer to sign the bid sheet to cover these days off and the requested vacation days are always denied due to staffing.