Why Don't UPS Drivers Turn Left?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Why Don't UPS Drivers Turn Left? - Mental Floss

United Parcel Service (UPS) celebrates its 110th anniversary this year, but it’s not likely any of their drivers are going to stop for cake. With 4.9 billion packages routed via UPS trucks every year, their priority is getting your goods to your front door while maximizing productivity.

In their pursuit of expediency, in the 1970s UPS began mandating that its fleet of brown-clothed drivers avoid turning left whenever possible. While that might seem like a curious policy, it turns out that it’s the most economical way to distribute packages.

10 Pt

They still spew this ridiculous BS? ORION has us turning left all day long. Where do we find these people that run our company?
We were told for decades:
Minimize and eliminate left turns;
Don't back into drives;
Go around the block vs backing at all;
Put your passenger side door at the delivery side of the street;
SAFETY IS FIRST! Remember what your most important stop of the day is.
ALL of that is out of the window thanks to the stock reports.
PROFIT is first.
We've lost our minds. Sold our soul for stock.
I wish they'd quit posting this garbage in the media. It's a lie.

Ghost in the Darkness

I wish customers would read the more current articles on orion so they could atleast be a little more up to date on why we do what we do. You start explaining sensors, rules of backing and the asshats with no experience who threaten you over a printout report about your day.... it all goes over their head and you just get a blank stare.
The lines like "you can pull in the driveway next time", or "fedex guy backs all the way down" get old real fast as we all know. I hate explaining telematics and micro-management to people.

Ghost in the Darkness

If the customer makes conversation or asks a question along those lines I'll tell them why. Many times the UPS way isn't the common sense way and I don't agree with it but do it because its how they want it done. I just like to make my point to the customer that I'm not stupid, just doing it the UPS way.