why hate off the street hires ?

MAKAVELI

Driving a rig is not easy I will never forget my first blizzard in the middle of the night in Wyoming...driving in all types of weather for years not knowing if the unthinkable will happen rather than just sitting in a box truck dropping off packages in residential areas during the day. That is demanding and very stressful driving 5k miles every week risking your freedom and life if an accident was to happen all just to be able to support your family and yourself. Package delivery and handling is tough but what I've been through and many other drivers have been through on the road is a lot tougher but that's my opinion to each their own.
And that's exactly why the op deserves respect. He has the experience to do the job he applied for. Something these haters don't comprehend.

jaker

trolling
Driving a rig is not easy I will never forget my first blizzard in the middle of the night in Wyoming...driving in all types of weather for years not knowing if the unthinkable will happen rather than just sitting in a box truck dropping off packages in residential areas during the day. That is demanding and very stressful driving 5k miles every week risking your freedom and life if an accident was to happen all just to be able to support your family and yourself. Package delivery and handling is tough but what I've been through and many other drivers have been through on the road is a lot tougher but that's my opinion to each their own.
Every time you post you down play what package is and that's why most don't have respect for off the street

MAKAVELI

Every time you post you down play what package is and that's why most don't have respect for off the street
I could understand and agree with your argument if the op had no experience driving a big rig and didn't work his way up through the company. But if a position is posted to the public and follows the contract, you really have nothing to bitch about.

BusterBrown31

Ok but let's be honest you think package takes more skill and experience to do than driving a big rig ? I'm sorry to burst your bubble but anyone can be trained to become a package handler or delivery person it takes a certain person to put in his time OTR and rack up thousands maybe even millions miles under all types of stress. I'm not just a steering wheel holder I've put my time in on the road and that's what this job requires. It doesn't ask you how many packages have you lifted or delivered in the last 10 years.

jaker

trolling
I could understand and agree with your argument if the op had no experience driving a big rig and didn't work his way up through the company. But if a position is posted to the public and follows the contract, you really have nothing to bitch about.
I care more about how he doesn't have the respect of what the guys here had to do to get into feeder

And every time he post and brings up package it's clear what he thanks about it

jaker

trolling
Ok but let's be honest you think package takes more skill and experience to do than driving a big rig ? I'm sorry to burst your bubble but anyone can be trained to become a package handler or delivery person it takes a certain person to put in his time OTR and rack up thousands maybe even millions miles under all types of stress. I'm not just a steering wheel holder I've put my time in on the road and that's what this job requires. It doesn't ask you how many packages have you lifted or delivered in the last 10 years.
And here is exactly the problem

BusterBrown31

I care more about how he doesn't have the respect of what the guys here had to do to get into feeder

I do have respect but when you try to bring me down because I took a different route then I explain why i am qualified for the position

MAKAVELI

Package and Feeder are two different animals and both deserve respect for what they do. Maybe the op should be required to be a helper during peak to gain some perspective.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And that's exactly why the op deserves respect. He has the experience to do the job he applied for. Something these haters don't comprehend.
And I respect all my union brother and sisters who had to get fingerprinted and do a stupid handwriting analysis when they got hired... Not even in the door yet and felt like you're in jail... Then had to bust your ass at all hours for 20 hours a week making 11$ an hour...the same I made 25 years ago the same they make now... Have to work 1 or 2 other jobs to make ends meet and getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night being a hub rat then on top of all that WANT to go full time and watch someone come in off the street and now have more senority than you full time( even though you have been here longer...lmao) so call me a hater...I hAve total respect for the part time ranks...people who didn't have to go through it don't... Period, how could you, you never experienced it.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Package and Feeder are two different animals and both deserve respect for what they do. Maybe the op should be required to be a helper during peak to gain some perspective.
They had the pilots do that when they first got hired on, not sure if they do that anymore I'm sure our browncafe mr. Know it all fly boy could shed some light on that one...lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
LOL "KNOW IT ALL FLY BOY"
I'm referring to another management poster on here who is the resident know it all on anything aviation related, so that's why I said that ...he's not a bad guy.... Better than that other scrub mgt person on here....btw I know trucking in Wyoming with high winds and snow/ice is no joke.... You have my total respect, and I hope you get brought on here..... Although I did tell you that off the street hiring is a hot topic around these parts...lol

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

And I respect all my union brother and sisters who had to get fingerprinted and do a stupid handwriting analysis when they got hired... Not even in the door yet and felt like your in jail... Then had to bust your ass at all hours for 20 hours a week making 11$ an hour...the same I made 25 years ago the same they make now... Have to work 1 or 2 other jobs to make ends meet and getting 4-5 hours of sleep s night being s hub rat then on top of all that WANT to go full time and watch someone come in off the street and now have more senority than you full time( even though you have been here longer...lmao) so call me a hater...I hAve total respect for the part time ranks...people who didn't have to go through it don't... Period, how could you you never experienced it.
As you should. But you also are not realizing the seniority, vacation and pension you have built up over the years that an off the street hire has not. He may have lucked out getting the job but still has a long way to catch up to someone who has put in the time such as yourself.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As you should. But you also are not realizing the seniority, vacation and pension you have built up over the years that an off the street hire has not. He may have lucked out getting the job but still has a long way to catch up to someone who has put in the time such as yourself.
Very true...

MAKAVELI

I'm referring to another management poster on here who is the resident know it all on anything aviation related, so that's why I said that ...he's not a bad guy.... Better that that other scrub mgt person on here....btw I know trucking in Wyoming with high winds and snow is no joke.. You have my total respect, and I hope you get brought on... Although I did tell you that off the street hiring is a hot topic around these parts...lol
I'm not so sure a 24 year old has enough life experience to know everything.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm just curious but seems like upsers that worked their way up through box trucks and tossing packages around hate the feeder driver that got hired off the street what's the reason for that ?
Maybe because they say stupid crap like this:
rather than just sitting in a box truck dropping off packages in residential areas during the day.

Package delivery and handling is tough but what I've been through and many other drivers have been through on the road is a lot tougher
Ok but let's be honest you think package takes more skill and experience to do than driving a big rig ? I'm sorry to burst your bubble but anyone can be trained to become a package handler or delivery person

BusterBrown31

I'm referring to another management poster on here who is the resident know it all on anything aviation related, so that's why I said that ...he's not a bad guy.... Better than that other scrub mgt person on here....btw I know trucking in Wyoming with high winds and snow/ice is no joke.... You have my total respect, and I hope you get brought on here..... Although I did tell you that off the street hiring is a hot topic around these parts...lol
Thanks brother I appreciate it

Poop Head

Judge me.
Anyone can be trained to eat cheeseburgers and jib-jab on a CB as well.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Good luck to you. Please start another thread during your first layoff how it is below your pay grade to load/unload packages, since you won't be qualified for package car.