Why is it the drivers fault if someone hits you while parked?

aspenleaf

This happened to one of our new guys. I was just curious as to why it is his fault. The woman that ran into him said she didn’t look behind her so she didn’t see the large brown truck.

I knew you all had a lot to do during day but I didn’t know you also had to contend with things you can’t control (that don’t relate to packages).

diesel96

I've been trained that when you park and need to block cars or driveways,that you block obstacles completey not half way.Don't give occupants even a remote chance of trying to squeeze past you.Also,driver should'nt be no than 12 inches from curve.I'm afraid w/o pictures and more details its hard to determine who's at fault.If driver wants to grieve he should request a shop steward who's a driver himself and knows his methods,not a part time steward or a mechanics steward.

aspenleaf

Well he is a seasonal hire. He was a very good worker according to the other drivers. I am not sure about the forms or what he did but he was parked when hit (but I don't know where he was parked). He seemed like a good guy and it is sad that he is not there. Last I heard from him (he was not allowed to drive yesterday) as we walked out was that he had to wait for a phone call.

Thanks for the replies.

local804

Everything usually tumbles down hill on the drivers. We leave the building 930, have 3 late air(our fault). Twist our ankle in an ice storm delivering a body by Jake( our fault) Cant bring the pick up pieces back to the building in time because we leave the building so late and are overdispatched(our fault) I could go on and on but I think we get the point. I think UPS should start using some of the phrases they like to use best "accountability" and "it is what it is" open your eyes!

reydluap

As soon as he put the Brown Uniform on in the morning.........HE'S GUILTY AS CHARGED of anything that happens in his work day.

L

Load Stand

You are confusing Fault with Avoidability....Professional Defensive Drivers know how to select parking positions to avoid being hit, witha degree of reasonability.....it is clearly the other drivers fault, but according to our Defensive Driving methods, it very well could be also be deemed Avoidable as following our Defensive Driving program.

You are confusing Fault with Avoidability....Professional Defensive Drivers know how to select parking positions to avoid being hit, witha degree of reasonability.....it is clearly the other drivers fault, but according to our Defensive Driving methods, it very well could be also be deemed Avoidable as following our Defensive Driving program.

Exactly. So if you have enough "Avoidable" accidents, you'll be fired without ever being at "Fault". Only at UPS.... :thumbup1:

705red

Browncafe Steward
So in your opinion mr load we should park half a block away if its the safest parking spot. I will be more than happy to do that but you will need to take about 50 stops off of me. I also would like 2 orange safety cones so when i do park i can put 1 in front and 1 in back of my truck like the phone company does!

hdkappler

it's true the last year before i retired a package car driver gets blamed for everything.drivers a worth every penny they get.the drivers are the one's who get the customers,etc.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
it's true the last year before i retired a package car driver gets blamed for everything.drivers a worth every penny they get.the drivers are the one's who get the customers,etc.

You can say that again, cuz it sure as hell isn't business development that's getting all t he customers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When you are delivering on city streets, somebody is going to be blocked in. The driveways only have a small pice of real estate in between, usually not enough to position a truck, and if you can you will be directlly parked across from another driveway. Ive been hit while parked 4 times and never deemed avoidable. When the only way you could have avoided it was to have stayed home that day its unavoidable.
Of course thats just my opinion, and what I say when asked how I could have avoided it, as of yet, Im not psychic. So you do the best you can and hope one of the village idiots are not going for a ride.

L

Load Stand

As I mentioned, there is and should be a "reasonable" factor when deciding avoidability....in the city, there may not be many options, and that is probably why most are deemed avoidable.....keep in mind, it is standard practice now to tuck in your mirrors in the city and those types may be deemed Avoidable if mirrors should have been tucked....at least in our district.

In a residential situation, when you can park a few feet further from say the end of someone's driveway, you should (a half block sounds exaggerated).....we must allow for the dummies.... we are the ones that drive for a living and that is what the Defensive Driving methods are all about....

Lastly, these methods may save your life, especially when coming around bends and on the crest of hills.....too often our most serious accidents occur when the other driver crosses center and we fail to be prepared, and yes, slow down a little to allow for increased eye lead time...remember, we are all in this together and these are proven methods for your benefit...Use them!

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
I have been hit while parked twice. First time this dude who worked for our province's equivalent of the Department of Motor Vehicles backed into me while I was inside doing a delivery. How's that for irony?

The second time I was pulled over to the curb in a clearly marked loading zone and some jackass clipped my truck, ripping his passenger side mirror off in the process.

Both times I called my sup immediately and told him what happened. Both times I was cleared of any wrongdoing and never heard another word about it again.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I've been hit twice while being parked but was not charged with either. First time an 80 year old lady raked down the whole side of my truck while I was parked in the downtown area. I was in the back of the truck getting my packages and the truck started shaking and moving. I thought an earthquake was going on!

Second time I was parked on the same street and a guy pulling a trailer left his west coast mirror in my cab. I was walking back to the truck and saw it happen. He never even stopped. Just kept right on going.