Why not hire from within

Ihatebrown

I have been working for UPS for 20 years as a clerk in the building. I had decided that I wanted to be an OMS (office manager supervisor) because I'm tired of the cold and tired of standing. So I talked to the Manger of the center and District Manager and sent him an email with my "letter of interest". Now I'm hearing that they are going to get someone from "off the street" or basically someone they know that needs a job and probably for less money. I know the politics and I know how UPS works so I can't be mad. It's all about who you know, what you know.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I have been working for UPS for 20 years as a clerk in the building. I had decided that I wanted to be an OMS (office manager supervisor) because I'm tired of the cold and tired of standing. So I talked to the Manger of the center and District Manager and sent him an email with my "letter of interest". Now I'm hearing that they are going to get someone from "off the street" or basically someone they know that needs a job and probably for less money. I know the politics and I know how UPS works so I can't be mad. It's all about who you know, what you know.
You should have been a driver

Unfortunately you were scared of the big boy position at UPS

FROM DAY ONE I KNEW IT WAS DRIVER OR NOTHING

YOU WILL NEVER BE A RPCD!!!
🧔‍♂️✊

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
After 20 years you should know the drill.

Go to the boss and tell him/her the last thing you would ever want is be an OMS.

BTW , is that an hourly union job or management? If management are you brain damaged?

UPSER1987

That’s not true. You wouldn’t bring your hourly wage into a management position. Your starting wage would be as a new employee (which you would be as an OMS). Apples and oranges.

PS…being cold and tired of standing probably doesn’t make you the best candidate anyway lol.

tadpole

That’s not true. You wouldn’t bring your hourly wage into a management position. Your starting wage would be as a new employee (which you would be as an OMS). Apples and oranges.

PS…being cold and tired of standing probably doesn’t make you the best candidate anyway lol.
You're right. You don't bring your hourly wage. But who would accept an offer of the new position with an hourly rate of way below what you're currently making? For them to offer that would be pointless and potentially insulting.

I knew someone who had this same issue 10 years ago, and this is what they were told.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you the right sex, gender, or race for the job?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Grammartarianist here...

Technically...

And just being technical for Mrs Carson the hot English teacher who opened my eyes to the world...

But technically...

You meant "I couldn't care less".

By your original usage you are in fact boasting about all the care you have built up inside your interwebs crying little body...

And not the opposite.

Hopefully I was of assistance.

On topic.

Academically helping.

Ihatebrown

You're right. You don't bring your hourly wage. But who would accept an offer of the new position with an hourly rate of way below what you're currently making? For them to offer that would be pointless and potentially insulting.

I knew someone who had this same issue 10 years ago, and this is what they were told.
Exactly, I'm almost at -- an hour, I definitely wouldn't take a pay cut.

UPSER1987

You’re right as well. But the OP said they were cold and tired of standing. Maybe the drop in pay is worth not being cold and tired of standing?