Why should one retire from UPS?

The Milkman

Totally agree, I very briefly thought about staying longer until the job and things with family changed that. But when I was thinking about staying I noticed how many people in obituaries passed away months or a few years after retiring. With some jobs that wouldn't be a big deal I suppose if you really enjoyed it, loved going to work everyday, weren't wearing out your body, and had a normal work day instead of never being able to count on a personal life Mon-Fri.

To me STUFF is definately not worth it. Because of a divorce and family problems I had to sell my home, I now live in a park model trailer, just perfect for me and my cat, very affordable and I'm still not here that much, I travel and take care of grandkids. More room would be nice, I suppose, but then you just fill it with STUFF. I have my toys, ATVs, Trailers, mountain property etc but got rid of the stuff that takes up room. I love my simple life! So glad I'm not working to support stuff or a place to put stuff.

You did the right thing...Hopefully years from now you can look back and say "I did enjoy my retirement years!" :happy-very: Many never make it that far in life...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Forget everyone else, forget everything else, don't retire until you know you are ready too and want it just as bad as you wanted the job on your first day. Then you'll know you are ready and will have no regrets!
And the truth will set you free..........

If I retire, I will probably go work someplace else so "Why should I retire from UPS?"
Hoax, if you have to ask that question, then you are not ready to retire.

Its been almost 4 years now. Hell, how time flies. There have been some really great times, and times that have really sucked. But each case is different.

In my case, there was no negotiation. One day I was working, the next I was not. IT would have been much better to have been able to finish 3 more years, as it would have allowed my 401K to stay intact. But then again, it would have really been hammered over the last year.

When you leave, working for someone is just trading jobs. If you like what you are doing, dont leave for some unknown job somewhere else. Trading bosses is hardly ever a good idea, especially with a huge paycut.

At the same time, the age of children, plans for education, health of spouse, health of yourself, and a long list of other things need to be considered. If you are one of a large number of UPSers living paycheck to paycheck, retirement is not a good option.

And has been mentioned, the less debt you have when you leave, the better you will enjoy retirement.

Myself? I expanded something I was already doing part time. While the money is not all that good per hour spent, I do enjoy what I do (with the exception of watching body parts come off:wink2:). With some limitations, I can come and go as I please, and answer only to the tax man and my wife. Not a life for everyone, but I enjoy it tremendously.

BTW, dannyboys definition of

Boat, a hole in the water into which one pours money(not my saying, but still true). Usually, but not always, you can trailer a boat and pull it with your personal vehicle.

Yacht, a private boat that usually needs a crew to maneuver. You can trailer this craft if it is small enough, but need a large truck to pull it up the highway. But usually not small enough to be trailered once built.

Ship, a boat that can carry a yacht for profit. Or carries people or items for profit. In most cases, these are never trailer-able.

As for chics, its not the boat that they would object to, its the captain.......

Hoax. Like building a house. Each board. Measure several times, cut once. Saves a lot of problems later on.

As for me?, I am content.

d

hdkappler

:happy2:i had 30yrs.at brown.the retirement is good.you can always work some were else for a supplement income.you don't have rthe stress you had at brown.after 30 years your body wears out.:happy-very:the last year our c.m.(gv)had it in for older drivers.i was out with corpral tunnel missed 5mo.when i came back had one year left.that was my worse year at ups.because of the c.m.i didn't make waves.i'am glad i retired when i did.

Cezanne

Most do not retire from UPS willingly, alot of it has to do with medical or health considerations. Just what percentage will ever reach that typical "golden watch" retirement package, more than likely most of us will be booted to the curb once we are considered damaged or not producting like we should. If we be ever so lucky, we might be eligible for a reduced early retirement. It is all attrition, so stay healthy and work smart.:happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, I also had to make that same decision as you. I have over 37 FT years and the last 24 years in management. I did the math and the diff between my paycheck and my retirement check (net) is $550. I have enought credits that my medical is payed for. So for me it was a no brainer. I retired last week. No plans to get a another job. Good Luck

About the same difference for me after 401k, medical premiums, Taxes and FICA and let's not forget UPSPAC and maybe United Way*.
I guess my angst is more emotional/mental ... just not ready to quit working.
And if I work one more year, the difference in take home versus retirement is down to $100 a month.

Also, if UPS is penalizing me if I retire before 60, they must consider it wrong. Don't want to be accused of doing something wrong so I guess I plan to work until I'm 60 (with no penalty).

*United Way I'll have to think about ... maybe more volunteer time/work and less contributions.

tarbar66

Because you can if you want to!

I could have retired in September 2007 but I decided to finish out the year. It will be 2 years in a little over 3 weeks that I left Uncle Buster. I do not miss the BS but I do miss some of the people and customers with the daily interaction etc.

36 years was enough and with the things that have changed in the last 2 years my friends that are still working always tell me how lucky I was to retire when I did. I draw a little bit of money from my investments each month to do the fun things in life. Cruises, trips to Nascar races, vacations to OBX, Florida and where ever else we may want to go.

Everyday I have plans to do something but when the day is done some days the plan is met and others I guess something better got in the way. It sure is nice to be flexible.

I hope to live well for another 25-30 years and enjoy life with my wife, children and grandchildren so thats why I retired.

island1fox

:wink2:Hoaxter,
I retired after 36 years at Ups ---now starting my sixth year of retirement.
For me the freedom is the most important thing --go to bed when you are tired --get out of bed when your body tells you to --not the alarm clock.
I am now spending alot more time with my best friend --my wife --this is actually a good thing.
I keep very busy --we can socialize now -even during the week --fine dining, dancing, boating , concerts and plays etc
I now can keep a regular exercise schedule and have almost no stress in my life ---compared to my days and nights in UPS.
I sleep --the sleep of angels --no stress--eight + solid with pleasant dreams.
I miss the Ups people --but Brown cafe helps.
I lost my only brother right before I retired --I realize that life is short --I miss the Friday highs --but not the sunday blues.
I highly recommend retirement ---but do not go there if you are not ready.
I realize all my jabbering did not help --sorry !!:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years
Most do not retire from UPS willingly, alot of it has to do with medical or health considerations. Just what percentage will ever reach that typical "golden watch" retirement package, more than likely most of us will be booted to the curb once we are considered damaged or not producting like we should. If we be ever so lucky, we might be eligible for a reduced early retirement. It is all attrition, so stay healthy and work smart.:happy2:

Above all - Don't expect a Golden Watch. You will be really lucky if you even get a "good bye".

deleted9

I retired at 55 with 36 1/2 years, i keep busy every day, basically doing whatever i want. My pension pays all my bills, my cash dividends pay for vacations, cars, big boy toys, and spending cash, and anything else i need or want. Retired almost 2 years and even in this lousy economy i have never had to touch any savings or sell any stock to live the life i am accustomed to. I got out as soon as i could.

deleted9

Hoaxster to each their own, but if you analyze and plan like you say, if you stay till your 60 so as not to get as you say early retirement penalty. Look as it from this point you will be working for 5 years at between 34 to 36% of your salary, if you retire you will get 64 to 66% to stay home and enjoy life. It doesn't make sense to stay( my opinion).

Cezanne

From reading these posts and considering they are for the most part our management people (retired and active). Just what would it take to sweeten the pot in order for an ERO package worth taking, and do you truly believe from the decisions being made in Altanta currently that it is plausible. Another question is if the decision to downside is made, how will the company implement those changes? I imagine it would be a take it or else offer. Believing that the company will play hardball, and force those chosen for downsiding to leave or have their pension and medical benefits changed from age 55 to age 62.

island1fox

Hoaxter,
A serious thought came to mind that most do not speak about. When I retired we selected the pension option where my wife would continue to collect the full pension until she passes.
If you continue to work --even to gain a 3% per yr --check with HR --but if it is still the same --if you die "on the job" your wife and family only get 50% of your pension --puts that 3% in a different light .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxter,
A serious thought came to mind that most do not speak about. When I retired we selected the pension option where my wife would continue to collect the full pension until she passes.
If you continue to work --even to gain a 3% per yr --check with HR --but if it is still the same --if you die "on the job" your wife and family only get 50% of your pension --puts that 3% in a different light .
Correct, I thought of that.
But while employed, I will continue to pay for the extra $400 k of life insurance.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster to each their own, but if you analyze and plan like you say, if you stay till your 60 so as not to get as you say early retirement penalty. Look as it from this point you will be working for 5 years at between 34 to 36% of your salary, if you retire you will get 64 to 66% to stay home and enjoy life. It doesn't make sense to stay( my opinion).

It is a "principle of it" thing.
UPS counts on people to leave so they will not have to pay ... if enough of us continue to work, they may consider restoring our pension benefits taken away in one of those "enhancements" to the pension plan.