Will I get fired for this? Please help

brob5111

I just received a phone call from a friend of mine who works in the same area/sort with me and he alerted me that a womens foot had been injured in small sort from a package out of the truck I was unloading tonight. I was in the truck with one other person, however, I remember the package my friend described which was a tote box loaded with a large amount of smalls and the tote box was very heavy. I took the tote box and I did not bring it to the bulk area, I put the heavy tote box onto the conveyor and let it go up. I realize now I should have taken some of the smalls out so the tote box wasnt so heavy. My friend noted that our full time supervisor said somebody is probably going to get written up for this. I understand that I can get written up, but is there any possibility I get fired for this incident?

brob5111

I am very regretful that the woman got hurt, I shouldnt of been rushing my work and my thought process was about meeting down time. Which was a mistake because safety should be first.

upschuck

How heavy was it? Officially, totes/bags can be 70lbs, but I've seen them heavier.

Don't worry about it. For one, they can't prove it was yours(how do you know that was the tote that did the injury, your co worker may have had a heavier one), and two, accidents happen even when everything is perfect.

Box Ox

I realize now I should have taken some of the smalls out so the tote box wasnt so heavy.

That's not on you. You sent a tote full of smalls on to small sort and anyone down the line could have handled it differently, stopped progress or not touched it at all if it wasn't safe to do so.

Wilson

Well sounds like they need a scale at the top of the belt so you can weight totes/package/irregulars that are not marked. That's what you tell them when they try to blame you for it.

J

jibbs

What are you talking about? I don't recall any such thing. Tote? What tote?

winner x1000

OP, so a chick got hit by a tote either falling off the conveyor belt or because she tried to lift something she wasn't able to carry, right? Hurt her foot?

Sounds to me like she needs a safety supe to run through the DOK with her every day for 7 months.

My opinion: you're in the clear.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I just received a phone call from a friend of mine who works in the same area/sort with me and he alerted me that a womens foot had been injured in small sort from a package out of the truck I was unloading tonight. I was in the truck with one other person, however, I remember the package my friend described which was a tote box loaded with a large amount of smalls and the tote box was very heavy. I took the tote box and I did not bring it to the bulk area, I put the heavy tote box onto the conveyor and let it go up. I realize now I should have taken some of the smalls out so the tote box wasnt so heavy. My friend noted that our full time supervisor said somebody is probably going to get written up for this. I understand that I can get written up, but is there any possibility I get fired for this incident?
Possibly written up....but fired? I sincerely doubt it . Next time you'll know better.

SCV good to go sir.

winner x1000

OP, so a chick got hit by a tote either falling off the conveyor belt or because she tried to lift something she wasn't able to carry, right? Hurt her foot?

Sounds to me like she needs a safety supe to run through the DOK with her every day for 7 months.

My opinion: you're in the clear.

QFT. I'd like to add to this though.

OP, do you know this lady? Is she of reputable character? Maybe she didn't actually injure her foot? She could be lying, trying to get worker's comp or time off. There's a part timer in my hub, an envelope fell on her head. She went on leave for over 6 months.

Let's give this succubus the benefit of the doubt though. This is where the fun part begins. You are going to act like UPS management. And start asking DOK related questions. Some good ones have already been presented here, I thought I would add a few more. Did she maintain firm footing? Was she grasping opposite corners? Why didn't she use existing equipment and facilities? Why didn't she make adjustments to changing conditions when a heavy box appeared in a volume of light content? If you really want to impress them ask, "Did she have 8-12 second eye lead time? How come she didn't see that box a lot sooner?" Just be careful not to get carried away during this stage and remember that no matter how much fun you have, you don't ever really want to go into management. I'm telling you buddy, one of the best parts of this job that never gets old is when you reply back to their bull:censored2: with the DOK :censored2:.

Now of course, they are going target you too. You might find some of the following useful.
If you haven't said :censored2: yet, Wally's advice is the best. Pretend you don't remember the tote. Start off being polite. Then they'll start to lay on the pressure. That's when you become indignant, "I move over 1000 boxes a day, do you really think I'm going to remember each and every one?" Try act real annoyed when you do this, not disrespectful, just annoyed.
Wilson's comment about the scale, is :censored2:ing gold. If you go that route you might want to support it with maybe you're a lot stronger than we all thought and that heavy box didn't feel that heavy to you? Maybe she's weaker and if that's the case, why wasn't she team lifting? If there's no objective or tangible evidence on this box's weight, how are you supposed to know if the box is too heavy?

You'll be fine. UPS has all the DOK :censored2:, not because they care about us, but just to cover their own asses. There's no reason you can't do the same. Ever see Thank You for Smoking? It's not about you proving yourself right here, it's about making the other party look incompetent.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
How are they going to fire you if you weren't alone in the trailer? They can't prove its you. Don't worry about the he said she said business. Most of it is bull.

iowa boy

Until they can prove you unloaded the said package in said truck, they have nothing to discipline you for. Now if you friend tries to roll over, be sure and ask if he witnessed said package that you supposedly unloaded actually hit and hurt her leg. Way too many variables for any discipline to stick.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

You would need to be grossly negligent in order to be (justifiably) terminated for causing an injury. If you had run her over with an irreg train while texting, then yes, you would be fired for that. If you cut on a belt that she had shut off and secured and she fell off and broke a leg, yes, you would be fired for that. If you pulled a trailer that she was loading and she fell out into the yard -- without checking to see if it was ready then pull, then yes, you would be fired for that. Get the idea?