Winter Clothes

Deion68

deion68
Does anyone where other outerwear over there browns in the north. It was -10 with a -30 windchill. I know some are use to it. The other day a couple of guys where wearing full Carhart bibs and Ski pants. Just wondering if anyone else does this

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone where other outerwear over there browns in the north. It was -10 with a -30 windchill. I know some are use to it. The other day a couple of guys where wearing full Carhart bibs and Ski pants. Just wondering if anyone else does this

We are not supposed to wear non-UPS outerwear over our uniforms but our center manager looks the other way when the guys wear their brown hoodies. He would never allow Carhartt bibs and ski pants.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When it's that cold out, I'm going to wear whatever the hell I need to stay warm. If they don't like it, they can send me home.

This.

I would think that as long as you don't wear fluorescent orange hunting gear or a lime green snowmobile suit that management would be happy you just showed up.

(Don't put the Carhartt bibs on until you are on route.)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Those carhartt bibs are right comfy. You can get'em in a dark brown that will pass for UPS brown at a distance.

On the coldest days management looks the other way as long as we wear our uniform jacket over the heavier gear. Naturally the outlandish colors are not approved.

rod

Retired 22 years
I wore a bright blue snowmobile suit many times at work. Some of the guys wore their blaze orange hunting coveralls. When it was 25 or 35 below zero(or more) management would very seldom even come out of their warm office to see if the sort was wrapped up-----and the trucks ran ALL day---even during lunch break.

center manager has to tell you that only UPS supplied clothing is authorized to wear. Once you are out on route anything goes. Avoid the camouflage and blaze orange. How would they know. On extreme cold days they are doing reports in the center. Just don't wear it to the PCM.

UPSGUY72

I have't wore a jacket yet this winter and it been below zero a couple of days this year so far I still wear a baseball cap. ( well once when I was broken down on the side of the road at 7:30 at night when it was below zero and the engine wasn't running I put one on a jacket and a knit hat ).

I wear 4 layer plus my vest ( 1 long johns, 1 turtle neck, 1 brown shirt, 1 long sleeve UPS uniform). for my lower half I wear a pair of long johns and UPS pants. I always bring a jacket liner just in case something happens and I need it...

center manager has to tell you that only UPS supplied clothing is authorized to wear. Once you are out on route anything goes. Avoid the camouflage and blaze orange. How would they know. On extreme cold days they are doing reports in the center. Just don't wear it to the PCM.

I said Hi to my Div Mgr last Mon when it was -20/-47 wind chill while wearing my bibs. he thanked me for coming in.
Smart mgmt doesn't care in this kind of weather as long as the job gets done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I said Hi to my Div Mgr last Mon when it was -20/-47 wind chill while wearing my bibs. he thanked me for coming in.
Smart mgmt doesn't care in this kind of weather as long as the job gets done.

The difference here is that your customer contact is limited mainly to guys on a loading dock who could give a blank less what you are wearing.

In these extreme temps my business agent and labor have an agreement that you wear anything you need to stay safe and warm. This is within reason using common sense.

reydluap

Just purchase these two products. You won't ever put on a Carhartt coat again. I think a person could walk across the North Pole with these on and still be warm. With a couple of pair of warm socks, gloves, a hat, and the UPS bomber jacket will keep you warm. The key to staying warm is to keep your body heat contained close to your body. All of these coats people wear just keep the inclement weather from reaching the body. It's worked for me for to many years to count. Just the other evening the wind chill was -50 degrees here. I was comfortable.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-MTP-Polar-Weight-Bottoms-150-Regular/731101.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search/?N=&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=long+underwear&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&form_state=searchForm&recordsPerPage=80&search=long+underwear&searchTypeByFilter=AllProducts&Ntt=long underwear&WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-MTP-Polar-Weight-Crew-150-Regular/731099.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search/?N=&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=long+underwear&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&form_state=searchForm&recordsPerPage=80&search=long+underwear&searchTypeByFilter=AllProducts&Ntt=long underwear&WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

south philly

I got under armor it works great just layer up the only thing is you're face and hands but its bearable as long as the damn wind isnt blowing 25 mph then nothing helps

Sent using BrownCafe App

I got under armor it works great just layer up the only thing is you're face and hands but its bearable as long as the damn wind isnt blowing 25 mph then nothing helps

Sent using BrownCafe App

An inexpensive wind breaker under the first layer helps. Or, lots of guys wear their rain coats.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We are not supposed to wear non-UPS outerwear over our uniforms but our center manager looks the other way when the guys wear their brown hoodies. He would never allow Carhartt bibs and ski pants.
We have a few that wear full coveralls if its cold and snowy. Personally never understood it.

We have guys and gals that wear full coveralls also. Mostly rural routes. Not so much anymore as the new trucks have much better heaters and more importantly door seals.