Wish me luck, I'm gonna go kill something

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will be leaving tomorrow morning with two other drivers from my center. After 7 years of applying, we finally drew bull elk tags for the Starkey unit in NE Oregon, up by LaGrande. There are trophy-sized elk up there and only 350 bull elk tags are issued for the area each year. We will be living in a tent for a week. Temperatures can get down close to zero up there this time of year. We will be camping at about 4500 feet up in the mountains. No cell phone, no Internet, no UPS. Imagine "Deliverance", only in cold weather without the raping toothless hillbillies. Wish us luck, I hope to have pics of me with a big elk when I get back next Sunday!

rod

Retired 22 years
Good luck---- if all else fails those dang squirrels make good targets also (and not bad tasting either) (much better than bald eagle):peaceful:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Good luck, I hope you get one with a big rack! I used to hunt white tail deer, no comparison in the size department. I have never eaten elk, I have heard it is tasty. I love to camp, its fine in cold weather if you have the right kind of gear. My brother went on one of these hunts, they went on horseback somewhere.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ya gotta bring along, "Escanaba in da Moonlight." Great flick for watching at deer camp doncha know.

TB
Our deer camp was pretty crude- basically a tarpaper shack with bunks and a barrel stove. The "younger generation" has turned it now into a large trailerhouse complete with Direct TV (all movie channels encluding the adult ones) and a out building with flush toilets ,water heater, shower washer and dryer and a sauna big enough for 10. Sometime people even go hunting:peaceful:

barnyard

KTM rider
Our deer camp was pretty crude- basically a tarpaper shack with bunks and a barrel stove. The "younger generation" has turned it now into a large trailerhouse complete with Direct TV (all movie channels encluding the adult ones) and a out building with flush toilets ,water heater, shower washer and dryer and a sauna big enough for 10. Sometime people even go hunting:peaceful:

An even better reason to bring it along.....

TB

over9five

Staff member
Imagine "Deliverance", only in cold weather without the raping toothless hillbillies.

Well that takes a lot of the fun out of it! Maybe the rest of us could hire some to come visit you. <insert banjo music here>

Good luck, I hope you get one with a big rack!

You knew I wasn't gonna let that slide by, Scratch.

Nothin' like a BIG RACK!!!!!!

Hey wait...no internet???

Good luck, Soberups!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Shhh--be very quiet---sober's hunting wabbit.

Seriously, enjoy your vacation, recharge your batteries and get ready for what may be one of the slowest peaks in quite some time.

trickpony1

I can't wait for the pictures of the majestic animal you blew away with a high powered rifle. This, of course, is assuming you are gracious enough to get a center mass "kill shot" on a defenseless animal.
But wait......it is probably more fun to wound such a beautiful creature. That way you can experience the zen of chasing it through the brush and thicket as it tries to escape you before the blood completely drains from its body.
After the last shred of life has left its body, you can mount it and proudly tell stories to your friends around the fireplace about what an adventure it was and how it aroused your primordial instincts.
You go big man!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I can't wait for the pictures of the majestic animal you blew away with a high powered rifle. This, of course, is assuming you are gracious enough to get a center mass "kill shot" on a defenseless animal.
But wait......it is probably more fun to wound such a beautiful creature. That way you can experience the zen of chasing it through the brush and thicket as it tries to escape you before the blood completely drains from its body.
After the last shred of life has left its body, you can mount it and proudly tell stories to your friends around the fireplace about what an adventure it was and how it aroused your primordial instincts.
You go big man!

Poor Bambi.:sick:

LiL"Comet"

Just remember if it gets really, really, cold at night body heat is the best way to keep warm... LOL

We won't tell anybody!! :wink2: Have Fun, Good Luck, Stay Safe

over9five

Staff member
C'mon, Trick! Buying a steak at the grocery store is just paying someone to do the dirty work for you. You think that steer who gets a bolt fired thru its skull is a nicer way to die?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My brothers and I raised beef cattle for ten years, I could post some pics of what your steak or hamburger used to look like when it was walking around. Thats where I used to go deer hunting too. I remembered those majestic looking creatures chewed up a couple thousand dollars worth of fruit tree saplings we planted one weekend.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Good luck,Sober.Ive elk hunted in CO a couple of times.My knees are shot now so I just chase whitetails in the hills.Let us know how you do and be careful.