With 250 drivers fired, who delivered the packages?

Overpaid Union Thug

The 250 never should have walked out. I still think there were probably better ways to handle the situation. But.....being that there were so many involved I don't see how UPS could handle the repercussions if they actually tried to fire more than just a hand full of them. Not to mention all 250.

Indecisi0n

The 250 never should have walked out. I still think there were probably better ways to handle the situation. But.....being that there were so many involved I don't see how UPS could handle the repercussions if they actually tried to fire more than just a hand full of them. Not to mention all 250.

I think I would be even more pissed off if the union allowed for a few to be fired and let the rest off the hook. We know the few fired would be the pro union drivers who do the job correctly while the kiss ass runners keep their jobs.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have yet to see the answer to that. 250 drivers cannot possibly be that easily and quickly replaced, right?

Right?
As of Friday afternoon, all drivers were working. So, unless they walked them one by one out the building friday evening...and I doubt that...management doesn't like to stay late, especially on Fridays...lol

fiddledee

However, the drivers have been terminated, aka "fired", but are serving a "working termination" under article 7 of the NMA. Personally, if I was one of those drivers, I'd feel somewhat at ease being an article 7, especially if I have had an otherwise clean record.

250 discharge hearings should keep the local busy and cost them a lot of money in litigation fee's. The intent was never to fire all 250 drivers The good drivers will be fine. The question will be what will happen to what the company views as the true troublemakers in this illegal strike. the local will have to make tough decisions. If they feel they cant save all 250 will they be forced to cut deals to save as many as possible? This illegal strike could end up being a gift for the company. An opportunity to get rid of a few bad apples.

fiddledee

I think I would be even more pissed off if the union allowed for a few to be fired and let the rest off the hook. We know the few fired would be the pro union drivers who do the job correctly while the kiss ass runners keep their jobs.

pro-union will have nothing to do with it.the driver who has already developed a long history of discipline is the one that will lose their job in this one. Of course they are pro-union since the union has saved their skin many times already. If there are drivers in this group who have already gotten second chances at discharge hearings those are the ones the company will then be more then happy to take to the panel again. The drivers with clean records will be ok.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
pro-union will have nothing to do with it.the driver who has already developed a long history of discipline is the one that will lose their job in this one. Of course they are pro-union since the union has saved their skin many times already. If there are drivers in this group who have already gotten second chances at discharge hearings those are the ones the company will then be more then happy to take to the panel again. The drivers with clean records will be ok.

Again, how do you fire one and not all? They all walked out. I can't see how anyone's record would have anything to do with this case unless it was for "walking out". This event has nothing to do with any other so-called infraction.

The way I see it, the union has to save all jobs with a deal. Compromise?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
There will be no winners here. The company can not let 250 drivers walkout with out repercussions. The union can not lose 250 members. They will agree on several sacrificial lambs that way the company can have some scalps and the union can say they saved almost all the jobs. The whole issue is now saving face and who loses least.

nystripe96

I'm in local 804 and a lot of the 250 drivers had know idea why they even walked out. There was mass confusion amongst those who walked. It's an unfortunate situation for those involved

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm in local 804 and a lot of the 250 drivers had know idea why they even walked out. There was mass confusion amongst those who walked. It's an unfortunate situation for those involved

Sent using BrownCafe App

I suspected that happened. If I was there and the BA said he was pulling the drivers I would follow him. A union should be about solidarity but it looks like the drivers were just used by Liam.

rod

Retired 22 years
There will be no winners here. The company can not let 250 drivers walkout with out repercussions. The union can not lose 250 members. They will agree on several sacrificial lambs that way the company can have some scalps and the union can say they saved almost all the jobs. The whole issue is now saving face and who loses least.

I agree with the "there will be no winners here" part but the Union wouldn't be losing 250 members. They would be replacing them with 250 new members who would have to cough up initiation fees. You also have to consider that the company could permanently fire maybe 5-10 drivers a month for a few months. They wouldn't even notice that speed bump in day to day operations. I do really hope things work out well for the 250 who are now on working suspension but I'm sure they must realize they have made that target on their backs really big----for the rest of their careers.

CharleyHustle

They will agree on several sacrificial lambs that way the company can have some scalps and the union can say they saved almost all the jobs.

If UPS fires me and the union agrees to uphold the termination for the exact same offence that many others did not get fired for, I would be getting a lawyer and suing the company and the union for wrongful termination.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
First of all, lets understand what is in our contract. The LOCAL is prohibited from calling a "wildcat" strike and so are the members. This was an action by the members that was improper and violated our national master agreement.

No matter what the situation, we can never "WILDCAT" the company. Its an automatic termination for any employee who engages in this process. We as members can NEVER interupt the business.

While the cause may have been good, and the rationale behind it honest, it can never be done.

Everyone will be restored once the smoke clears, the company CANNOT take some back and not "people they dont like" as suggested.

You take one back, you take them ALL back. There are no exceptions.

Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. The local will work it all out.

TOS.