With 250 drivers fired, who delivered the packages?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
When the company introduced the 150 lb limit, we (L177) gave the company the requisite time beforehand to fix the language before we went on a wildcat strike. We walked and nobody was terminated for walking. It is the sole reason the language is in the national agreement today.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

First of all, lets understand what is in our contract. The LOCAL is prohibited from calling a "wildcat" strike and so are the members. This was an action by the members that was improper and violated our national master agreement.

No matter what the situation, we can never "WILDCAT" the company. Its an automatic termination for any employee who engages in this process. We as members can NEVER interupt the business.

While the cause may have been good, and the rationale behind it honest, it can never be done.

Everyone will be restored once the smoke clears, the company CANNOT take some back and not "people they dont like" as suggested.

You take one back, you take them ALL back. There are no exceptions.

Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. The local will work it all out.

TOS.

I can see this. I think the company's message has already been sent. The will to do something like that probably has been weakened in many drivers, and they may be more hesitant the next time.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Here is a solution.....If UPS fires even one driver, everyone in the Local and the Nation should strike. friend UPS, the harassment has to stop.
Part timers that have been thrown under the bus by drivers in every single contract would never honor a strike. Many certainly wouldn't pass up a chance to take those drivers' jobs. Personally I would love a strike... I could use a vacation.

In reality the drivers will keep their jobs and the machine will keep running business as usual. Firing these drivers is bad for both sides.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Part timers that have been thrown under the bus by drivers in every single contract would never honor a strike. Many certainly wouldn't pass up a chance to take those drivers' jobs. Personally I would love a strike... I could use a vacation.

In reality the drivers will keep their jobs and the machine will keep running business as usual. Firing these drivers is bad for both sides.

I wonder who has more voters? Part-timers or drivers/feeders?

My guess (I know it) is part-timers have more voters.
They could throw us under the bus if they bothered to just vote, and mail it in.

The part-timers are jumping under the bus all by themselves.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

They could throw us under the bus if they bothered to just vote, and mail it in.

Ya, because the geniuses that get an $8.50 an hour back breaking job are smart enough to stand up for their rights(self fulfilling prophecy).... this is a line of conversation that has enough threads already to have it's own forum, I have no interest in hijacking this thread in that direction.

My point was in reply to a person who talked about the delusion of a national strike over 250 drivers in one local.... it's just never going to happen.

realbrown1

Ya, because the geniuses that get an $8.50 an hour back breaking job are smart enough to stand up for their rights(self fulfilling prophecy).... this is a line of conversation that has enough threads already to have it's own forum, I have no interest in hijacking this thread in that direction.

My point was in reply to a person who talked about the delusion of a national strike over 250 drivers in one local.... it's just never going to happen.

When I started at UPS over 25 years ago, loading package cars, I voted. It wasn't tough to do either.

And by the way, we wouldn't need the part-timers to back us. They can't deliver the packages with us drivers, and that is a fact.

realbrown1

I also find it very interesting that driveindriveout rated my post "derail" when I was just responding to his post.

Marne Vet

Yes. According to the stories on the front page of BC, they struck for 90 minutes.

So in other words they were all an hour and a half late for work. Not something to get fired for, unless they clocked in first, then walked out. If your start time is 8:30 AM, and you "walk out", get sick, got stuck in traffic, then end result is they all went to work that day late. I think that's a strong argument for keeping their jobs.

oldngray

nowhere special
So in other words they were all an hour and a half late for work. Not something to get fired for, unless they clocked in first, then walked out. If your start time is 8:30 AM, and you "walk out", get sick, got stuck in traffic, then end result is they all went to work that day late. I think that's a strong argument for keeping their jobs.

I think about 100 of them did clock in then walk out. They would be in a much more precarious situation than those who just stayed outside.

pretender

I have not read every last post on the subject, so maybe I am asking the obvious: Is it possible that there is internal
union politics going on behind the scenes?

Sent using BrownCafe App

The strike of 1997, in my building not a single PT crossed. Not even pre seniority PT. Had a hand full of package car drivers cross.

The PTers in Local 89 did vote and turned down the contract and supplement. Now the complaint from other Union members is that they are holding up every ones raises.

Rainman

Its all good.
Never underestimate the willingness of the company to screw themselves just to make a point or an example. I hope for the beat for the 250, but nobody is home free yet by any means.

Sent using BrownCafe App

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Won't be a strike, but I'd be willing to bet that there would be a significant increase in sick calls.
I like that option. "Sick-outs" are a popular show of force for teachers, who have had their rights slowly chiseled down to nothing over the years. I remember a while back a district in Michigan actually had to cancel classes because of a sick-out.