Word of Caution for Rookie Drivers

Browntown2014

Everything's been taken care of properly, yeah. Management team's not really happy with me but I haven't been branded a pariah.... yet. That shoe might drop when I return, though. The phone calls with managers and directors I'd never known existed prior to this incident was definitely not a fun experience.

Got a couple of those in my building, too, and they're all huge guys. I'm not. I'm one of the shortest drivers in my center. Some of my coworkers literally weigh twice as much as I do, and I think that alone is a huge problem when it comes to staying properly hydrated and having a decent reserve of minerals and water in your body. I think smaller people-- without a significant change in diet-- can run out of those damn electrolytes much more quickly because we inherently don't eat as much.

That's not really an educated opinion, though, just something I suspect.
Um it’s easier for smaller people to control their body temperature.

PPH_over_9000

Um it’s easier for smaller people to control their body temperature.

Yeah but the taller you are, the closer to the sun you are.

lol no, I honestly didn't know. I feel like larger people would have larger reserves of essential minerals and vitamins to help them endure longer periods of intense heat and physical stress and need less frequent replenishment, but at the same time they could have twice the need and go through it twice as fast as a person half their size.

idk man, biology gets weird once you make it out of 6th grade.

Last edited:

Dumbo

Good post. My advice is to be prepared with hydration. I have a rtic (cheaper than yeti by far) 1 gallon stainless steel jug that I refrigerate at night and then add a tray of ice to in the morning. Even on the hottest days it will keep ice all day. Then I have a bunch of propel packets. I drink out of a stainless steel RTIC tumbler so it keeps it could while in the cup as opposed to plastic. Liquid temperature is way overlooked. Ice cold water cools you down much more than a plastic bottle that's getting warm fast.

Mst3k

I carry a few salt packets with me for an emergency. Always drink water but on really sweaty days if I don’t have an electrolyte drink handy, the salt can really help out.

PPH_over_9000

Or you could put your letter in. Never work another day in your life. AC all day!!

It's tempting but I'm not sure I'd like where that road leads to. I'd much rather rise to the occasion than call it quits and regret it the rest of my life, and I'd also like to do whatever I can to help prevent a single other UPSer from finding themselves in my current position.

PPH_over_9000

Typically, people dont rise to the occasion. They fall to the level of their training.

That sounds like it should be on a damn poster in my center, how beautiful that observation is.

It is possible to educate yourself, though, and I've been putting myself through a crash course for the past two weeks. The Cool Solutions training doesn't give you but a fraction of the vital information regarding proper hydration and proper dieting to help maintain proper hydration. It has good information, it's just woefully incomplete.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I can't understand all the problems you guys have.

Before I worked UPS was a truck driver 11 western states and was not unusual to work 16-20 hours a day. Loaded my trailers by hand , unloaded by hand and drove all the rest of time. 7 days a week. This was before HOS crack downs.

Only hands that have done this would know what I'm talking about.

This job is easy compared to many. You guys just make it difficult or let bosses push you around.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I can't understand all the problems you guys have.

Before I worked UPS was a truck driver 11 western states and was not unusual to work 16-20 hours a day. Loaded my trailers by hand , unloaded by hand and drove all the rest of time. 7 days a week. This was before HOS crack downs.

Only hands that have done this would know what I'm talking about.

This job is easy compared to many. You guys just make it difficult or let bosses push you around.
Oh STFU