Word of Caution for Rookie Drivers

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I can't understand all the problems you guys have.

Before I worked UPS was a truck driver 11 western states and was not unusual to work 16-20 hours a day. Loaded my trailers by hand , unloaded by hand and drove all the rest of time. 7 days a week. This was before HOS crack downs.

Only hands that have done this would know what I'm talking about.

This job is easy compared to many. You guys just make it difficult or let bosses push you around.
Oh S* not this again

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
we've had temps in the low 90's with high humidity for the last couple of weeks. it's knocking unprepared drivers out left and right.
i don't start my lunch until 3 because my pickups start at 4. my lunch box every day has a bag of salted peanuts, apricots and raisins for snacking throughout the day. apricots and raisins are two of the foods highest in potassium and salted peanuts are, well, salted.

i also lived in s.e. asia for 15 years and had a 7-11 on every street corner that sold refrigerated cold towels and i keep that habit going here. take a washcloth and soak it in water, put it in a ziploc bag and throw it in the freezer overnight. keep the ziploc in your lunch box and put it on the back of your neck to cool off. as the day wears on and you need a bit more, take the cold washcloth out of the ziploc and use it to clean your face and hands.

rod

Retired 22 years
Old school drivers smoked, drank, ate badly, lived without a/c, and never collapsed.
That's the story of my life the first 15 years of my career. Nothing but fans. My wife finally had central air put in our house against my wishes. Now I couldn't live without it.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here’s my daily beverage and food intake to avoid heat exhaustion.

OOPS! I just remembered I’m a “slug” on a rural route where my only concern is remembering to download my podcasts when there’s adequate cell phone service. Ha!

BrownStains

Buy one of those big insulated water jugs, mine is under armor brand, and fill with ice to the top and water. The ice solidifies into a large chunk and stays most of the day just keep refilling with bottles. I also drink Atleast one Gatorade and 2 small Red Bull’s ( I don’t recommend the Red Bull though). Also in the past I’ve put bottles of water in the freezer until they’re mostly frozen . I take my old white tshirt undershirts and cut the sleeves off and wear that under my brown shirt. That’s if you wear undershirts. For my diet I eat a tleast one banana everyday for breakfast in addition to somthing else . For lunch I take around 12-1 and eat a sandwich and crackers or pringles or somthing . Not the healthiest but it is high sodium. If your truck doesn’t have a fan you can buy a rechargeable clip on fan but I’m not sure how they work I’ve only seen them, might help.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That's the story of my life the first 15 years of my career. Nothing but fans. My wife finally had central air put in our house against my wishes. Now I couldn't live without it.
My thinking is the widespread use of residential conditioning has made us less tolerant of working in the heat. The body never acclimates as it would if you lived without a/c.

oldngray

nowhere special
My thinking is the widespread use of residential conditioning has made us less tolerant of working in the heat. The body never acclimates as it would if you lived without a/c.
There never would have as much growth in southern states without air conditioning.

oldngray

nowhere special
Newer houses are designed for A/C without old ways of passive cooling and better ventilation.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Bless you for adding a tldr because I damn sure wasn’t going through all that