Work Boots for UPS?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Another vote for Timberland's. I wear these year round, usually get a year to a year and a half out of them.

UPSGUY72

I'll be inside, loading and/or unloading. As I understand it, that requires some running to and from the end and front of the feeder trailers to reach the rollers or belt (if its one of those old jacked up sets that starts in the middle of the trailer rather than being adjustable as the volume depletes or whatever). I'm looking at 10,000+ packages a shift of 3-4 trailers by myself, and with Management expecting us to clear 1 package in 5 seconds, so I definitely need a good pair of work boots (as I already stated, management down here is VERY strict about footwear and WILL NOT allow us to work if we show up in anything that is not leather, slip and oil resistant, have treads suited for metal contact, stable on the ankles, provides some measure of toe protection (composite toe - but NOT steel toe for obvious reasons) and which are also "water proof" (if a leather shoe ever really could be that).

I have absolutely no idea if they are going to ask any of the PT Handlers to double up as Driver Helpers this Peak (they did this last year) and so I'm best to be preparing for doing this as well (though last year I wore my NB sneakers because my feet just couldn't handle the 300+ stops I was doing every day and night after the first week in cheap Bahma's).

But yeah, I can't run out and buy these mythical work boots until I'm 100% guaranteed the job though (should be early next week), because as I also stated I've got $160 to get me through with for the next four months until Peak if they decide not to hire me for this gig first (which better not happen for all I've done during Peak in '08 and '09 LOL). :hypnosis:

If your working inside color dosen't matter they just need to be boots with uppers to support your ankles. NO SNEAKERS

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I'll be inside, loading and/or unloading. As I understand it, that requires some running to and from the end and front of the feeder trailers to reach the rollers or belt (if its one of those old jacked up sets that starts in the middle of the trailer rather than being adjustable as the volume depletes or whatever). I'm looking at 10,000+ packages a shift of 3-4 trailers by myself, and with Management expecting us to clear 1 package in 5 seconds, so I definitely need a good pair of work boots (as I already stated, management down here is VERY strict about footwear and WILL NOT allow us to work if we show up in anything that is not leather, slip and oil resistant, have treads suited for metal contact, stable on the ankles, provides some measure of toe protection (composite toe - but NOT steel toe for obvious reasons) and which are also "water proof" (if a leather shoe ever really could be that).

I have absolutely no idea if they are going to ask any of the PT Handlers to double up as Driver Helpers this Peak (they did this last year) and so I'm best to be preparing for doing this as well (though last year I wore my NB sneakers because my feet just couldn't handle the 300+ stops I was doing every day and night after the first week in cheap Bahma's).

But yeah, I can't run out and buy these mythical work boots until I'm 100% guaranteed the job though (should be early next week), because as I also stated I've got $160 to get me through with for the next four months until Peak if they decide not to hire me for this gig first (which better not happen for all I've done during Peak in '08 and '09 LOL). :hypnosis:

Any Fleet Farm, or Farm & Fleet, or similar type store should have many choices in good, solid work boots. Key is ankle support and nice, thick soles to cushion your feet on those grates.

Sears outlets near you? Or Zappos.com is a great place to shop online....

over9five

Staff member
Bobs Stores have an awesome selection of shoes and boots. Bought a pair of black Skecher sneakers today. Make sure you check their website before you go, they had a printable 20% off coupon for this weekend. This plus a coupon my wife had for $10 off brought the $39 dollar shoes to $21.

bullfrog

be strict in letting manegement know that running in trailers poses a legitamate safety hazard. i would suggest starting out with a cheaper pair to get you by a couple months,untill u save enough for a good quality work boot

Magnus

Magnus, remember we have discounts at several shoe places thru upsers.com. That's how I get my Summer shoes (Skechers sneakers).

For Winter I wear Timberland Pro.
Thanks, I can't get on UPSers.com anymore since I was terminated Jan. 2010 and it's now June (they lock us out by June). I'll just have to bite the bullet and forgo the discount.

be strict in letting manegement know that running in trailers poses a legitamate safety hazard. i would suggest starting out with a cheaper pair to get you by a couple months,untill u save enough for a good quality work boot
I will surely do that if they try and make me. I was only planning on bending the no running rule if I had too and if so, just until I'm past probation.

Thanks so much again for all of your suggestions, they're on my list to check out. I think I'm just going to have to go down to Sears or wherever else I can find who sells decent work boots... I'm not even sure at this point exactly what my size and width are, and no two shoes are the same fit and feel so the best way is to try them before I buy them. I just hope I can find a pair in the store I can live with.

rocket man

Alright, I have tried in vain to find the required boots for this type of work. They just don’t exist, and if they do, they’re not cheap and are impossible to find.

During the interview process, Management makes it a point to say that your work shoes should: 80 thousand drivers go to work every day with boots on. Are you sure you want to be a driver?IF you cant find a pair of boots how are you gonna find your first stop?

Be leather, water proof, oil and slip resistant, contact tested, comfortable and have treads suitable for metal grate contact and should be a “composite toe” (SHOULD NOT be “steel toe”) – and then of course there is the color requirements if they want you to also double as a Driver Helper during Peak (which they often do) and so that slims down the options even considerably more, because Brown and Black is it or they’ll send me home.

My question is… where in the world do I find a boot that meets all of these specifications, which won’t hinder my ability to run packages back and forth on the feeder trailers, aren’t going to kill me in weight or discomfort, and which don’t cost a fortune and are easy to find IN the stores?

And please don’t say Wal-Mart’s Brahma boots (they lasted me two WEEKS during Peak before falling apart mid-shift!)

Thanks for your help, advice and suggestions!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wal-Mart boots LOL They are considering outsourcing OUT of India to get cheaper labor. :D There are people in the hub that wear them. None of that's going on my feet, however I haven't been in there to try them. To each their own!

Jigawatts

If they aren't Red Wings, they don't go on my feet before I go to work. A little more money, but well worth it.

Agreed, but watch out for "made in China." I bought mine assuming that they were still made in the USA, wore them, and then noticed the made in China tag. If I would have seen that, there's no way I would have paid $150 for a pair of Chinese made Red Wings. They are the most comfortable pair of work boots I've owned, but after 4 months of use, they're starting to fall apart.

kuff

We are not allowed to wear tennis shoes on the central coast of california. They must be work boots. I wear Durashock Wolverines. They only last me 6 months but I walk about 19 miles a day on them. Take care of your feet and knees and they will take care of you.

overallowed

Agreed, but watch out for "made in China." I bought mine assuming that they were still made in the USA, wore them, and then noticed the made in China tag. If I would have seen that, there's no way I would have paid $150 for a pair of Chinese made Red Wings. They are the most comfortable pair of work boots I've owned, but after 4 months of use, they're starting to fall apart.

The Chinese redwings are sold under the "Worx" brand. And I would not put that crap on my feet. It is bad enough we are forced to buy Chinese made sox with the ups logo from TwinHill (a division of Mens Swearhouse-pun intended). Our uniforms are a disgrace, due to poor quality.

L

Loufan

UPS might say you need the perfect boots, but I swear i've seen people just spray paint their tennis shoes black. Boots are expensive and you go through a pair a year or 2. Can't really blame them

I wear Skechers Rocker Sole Work Shoes, which are slip resistant. I waterproofed them myself with mink oil. They are fantastic and I'll never wear another pair of shoes without the rocker soles. And I wear ankle braces for support on my ankles.

Mapp

Choo Choo
Danner, but no the GTX series. Expensive, but you get what you pay for and they will last far longer than other boots.