Work Boots for UPS?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
With work boots, you get what you pay for. I started driving with a nice pair of Red Wings. Eventually I wore them out and started buying cheap boots just because it was an easier purchase. But with our job, you don't want to skimp on boots. Buy some cheapies until you can afford proper pair. I swear by these Thorogood boots I know wear. Yes, they're expensive, but they're tough, made in Wisconsin by union workers. The fancier Chinese boots aren't any cheaper, or any better. So why not keep a little money here in fatland? Your feet will thank you.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It's not always about the shoes. I use to purchase expensive brand name work shoes and yet still suffered from plantar fasciitis (in my 20s!) -- my podiatrist recommended a pair of off-the-self orthopedic insoles (about $20, only sold through your doctor) and now I no longer suffer from aches & pains. Orthopedic insoles are awkward at first, but your feet quickly become more durable & you don't endure aches & pains at the end of the day. I couple these with an inexpensive pair of work shoes; a major discount chain local to me offers "buy one, get one free" sales on Sketchers once or twice per year, making each pair $20-$30 -- and they seem to last forever.

Whitelightning1534

Alright, I have tried in vain to find the required boots for this type of work. They just don’t exist, and if they do, they’re not cheap and are impossible to find.

During the interview process, Management makes it a point to say that your work shoes should:

Be leather, water proof, oil and slip resistant, contact tested, comfortable and have treads suitable for metal grate contact and should be a “composite toe” (SHOULD NOT be “steel toe”) – and then of course there is the color requirements if they want you to also double as a Driver Helper during Peak (which they often do) and so that slims down the options even considerably more, because Brown and Black is it or they’ll send me home.

My question is… where in the world do I find a boot that meets all of these specifications, which won’t hinder my ability to run packages back and forth on the feeder trailers, aren’t going to kill me in weight or discomfort, and which don’t cost a fortune and are easy to find IN the stores?

And please don’t say Wal-Mart’s Brahma boots (they lasted me two WEEKS during Peak before falling apart mid-shift!)

Thanks for your help, advice and suggestions!

I understand this post is ild but I suggest getting a boot that is stitched not glued together I've had three pairs of boots since I started working at UPS a little over two years ago and the my stick steel toe square to boots have lasted the longest I made the mistake of buying my second pair of boots at Walmart the first pair I only had $25 and I had to get the cheapest boot they had which was a very terribly made Brahma boot that barely made it six months and the soles were completely smooth after a month or so

Observer

Dr. Scholl's Steel toed boots or Army Navy surplus. The Army ones lasted 8 years-bought at a yard sale for $10 from someone just getting out of the service. Put new foot pads in. Dr. Scholl's at Famous Footwear - wear great get about 2-3 years out of them-purchase leather shoe strings as they last longer. They look a little odd with black boots, however, they don't snap in three months like the ones furnished with the boots. Very comfortable. Due to living in the midwest - also purchase a can of the weatherizer or the paste one - put a couple of coats on after purchasing. Keeps them watertight. Dr. Scholls cost around $65. Walmart ones - what can I say - had to purchase some years ago - barely got 11 months out of them. Needed new boots but that was all I could find.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Alright, I have tried in vain to find the required boots for this type of work. They just don’t exist, and if they do, they’re not cheap and are impossible to find.

During the interview process, Management makes it a point to say that your work shoes should:

Be leather, water proof, oil and slip resistant, contact tested, comfortable and have treads suitable for metal grate contact and should be a “composite toe” (SHOULD NOT be “steel toe”) – and then of course there is the color requirements if they want you to also double as a Driver Helper during Peak (which they often do) and so that slims down the options even considerably more, because Brown and Black is it or they’ll send me home.

My question is… where in the world do I find a boot that meets all of these specifications, which won’t hinder my ability to run packages back and forth on the feeder trailers, aren’t going to kill me in weight or discomfort, and which don’t cost a fortune and are easy to find IN the stores?

And please don’t say Wal-Mart’s Brahma boots (they lasted me two WEEKS during Peak before falling apart mid-shift!)

Thanks for your help, advice and suggestions!
Look around, most wear sneakers.

davidix

You can wear whatever the hell you want.. I've never had anany issues outside of maybe a maroon trying to rock white nikes.. I mean get realistic with what they let slide.

Steel toe is a big no no.. what route is easy enough for a heavy boot like that?

Underarmor makes a nice lightweight boot. Comfort and support is everything.