Work Comp blues..

raceanoncr

Well, then, sorry, Maria and Fred. And sorry for your misfortune. But, afraid most of what was written here is true. You have to exhaust all scenarios before you go lawyering up. It's too bad we only get part of our weekly pay but that's the system.

After you've been through it all and the company still balks, then it's time, sad to say, to go after the giant.

A

Anon

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with the union when dealing with work comp issue's,find a compatent(sp) attorney and go from there. I know from experiance this is the best way to go.

abes

abes
Maria or fred,were you hurt on the truck?if you were get a hold of liberty mutual and file a no fault claim.I had no idea of this until other drivers told me,as long as you were in or on the truck or trailer and were injured you will be intitled to about 100.00 bucks a week,give or take depending.Hope this helps.And yes NY is 400.00 a week,but we have the best welfare system in the country.Go figure.

fred

thanks everyone for their advice. I'm having some nerve blocks over the next few weeks. I just want to get back to work. I like my job. It just gets scary when you're looking at permanent lifelong injuries. Wish me luck on a speedy recovery. I hope all of you injured men and woman are better as well.
thanks
Fred

raceanoncr

wish us luck... looking at fusion surgery this summer.
thanks for all the advice.
maria & fred

Fred and Maria,
Had cervical fushion about 10 yrs ago. Best thing I coulda done! Didn't know what was wrong and limped along with pain for almost a yr til I went in for MRI and problem showed up.

Was laid up for 3 months and after that was pretty lame but these many yrs later I don't even know it. Would do it agin in a heartbeat.

Also had 3 knee surgerys and about to go thru double hip replacement (alright...everybody go OOOOOHHHHHH!!!). Am looking forward to it so I can figure skate competitively. Well, I never did before but the commercials say I can!

Good luck!

Dark Angel

Sorry
I've been laid up. I have two badly ruptured disks from an injury at work. I was hurt from company negligence. (I was on their vehicle at the time of the incident). (I am a feeder driver).
I was just told I will only receive part of my pay. Nothing for pain and suffering. I'll probably end up having disk fusion and a trip to bankruptsy court. Has this ever happended to anyone before? I'm a lifer at UPS. Does anyone have advice? I have an attorney. He said I can't sue my employer.
What about their negligence and my neck. Union? Any ideas.
thanks
Maria

Maria,
My Local refers ALL of the reported Comp. cases to an attorney that used to work @ UPS and has made it his life's goal to "repay" Brownie for all the love he received while under their employ. Can't hurt to check. Call the Local Business Agent and inquire. Out of my 27 years @ UPS , I've never seen a genuine injury @ work case, unresolved without smiles on the faces of the injured.
Regards,
Dark Angel ;o)

Kmarion

wish us luck... looking at fusion surgery this summer.
thanks for all the advice.
maria & fred
Fred have you looked into Disc Replacement? I ruptured my L-4 also and was told by the doctor that given the nature of my work, replacement would be a better option. With fusion you will lose some mobility (so I've been told). After the second discogram the doctor told me that no matter how the surgery went they would not be releasing me to full duty (13 year employee/driver). Liberty mutual is trying hard to settle my workers comp claim now. If anyone would like to see how frequently they settle in just Florida they can check here http://www.jcc.state.fl.us/JCC/searchJCC/ Just put United Parcel Service in the employer search field. Also be aware the most attorneys will take around 10 percent of any settlement agreement plus expenses.

Good Luck, hopefully it won't get that far with you.

F

Fred/Maria

Maria,
My Local refers ALL of the reported Comp. cases to an attorney that used to work @ UPS and has made it his life's goal to "repay" Brownie for all the love he received while under their employ. Can't hurt to check. Call the Local Business Agent and inquire. Out of my 27 years @ UPS , I've never seen a genuine injury @ work case, unresolved without smiles on the faces of the injured.
Regards,
Dark Angel ;o)
Hi haven't been on in awhile.
We are getting depressed here trying to make ends meet. Surgery is coming up.
Which state are you from?? Do you have this guys name???
Are you on UPS payroll???

B

brown girl

I had anterior cervical neck fusion a couple of years ago and have been working steadily since. Just make sure you have a good surgeon. Good luck. And how the hell do you you live on $400 a week on workers comp? In California it goes up to $800 a week. But the cost of living here is crazy too.

JustTired

free at last.......
Wow....a steel beam????

I can't believe you wouldn't be able to sue them for at least lost wages and medical expenses. After all... it was out of your control. If you had slipped on the step or injured yourself while you were actually doing something to cause it, then I could possibly see it. They could argue your methods. But a steel beam falling from the ceiling? What could they argue? You weren't getting the big picture?

Well, if your not allowed to sue the company.....maybe your wife can. For lost companionship (or whatever they call it)!!! Just a thought!

Anyway....good luck to you and I hope thing work out.

JT