work moving from building woes

boxsniffer

ugh i dont want to quit ups but i feel i might have to

ive been with the company for basically 2 years and love it

i started in one building and then after a month or so work transfers from there to a neighboring town
the union steward came and told me hey this work is moving you can go with it and keep your seniority or stay and risk being layed off
i decided to follow the work to the bigger building with more opportunity
well its been nice and ive made it up to cover driver and what not
now work is moving from this building to another town and i happen to be moving to that town because my wifes job transfered there
well now i hear that no part timers are going to be able to follow this work unless they get a bid on full time driver positions that the current drivers dont follow. this is very troublesome because the center the work is moving to is hiring package handlers off the street but the steward i talked to in my building said basically yeah well your only chance to get with the center in the new town is to quit and hire on at the other center. is there anyone else i should try talking to? id love to stay with the company but the current center will be a 100 mile round trip once i move and my part time wages will basically just cover the gas for that

im really bummed because i have the feeling 2 years of service is about to go down the ****ter

dillweed

Hi sniffer,
Is the reason they won't let you transfer because the new center is in another region? Don't understand why they let you follow work the first time and not the second.

The only transfers I've seen were for educational purposes.

I've never been in a builidng where work moved in or out so don't have first-hand experience with it. Hope you can get the move worked out. dw

boxsniffer

it could be because its in a different region i dont if it is in one or not or if thats a reason not to allow someone to transfer
i know before i transfered from one union local to another so that cant be it i wouldnt think

dillweed

Hope someone comes along who knows more than I do about this stuff. There is language in the contract about work moving and who can follow so maybe you need to press the union for more answers. dw

boxsniffer

hrmm i might be able to file a grievance under article 48 section 9
im listed as a cover driver under the supervisor group whose full time routes are moving

ImpactedTSG

ugh i dont want to quit ups but i feel i might have to

ive been with the company for basically 2 years and love it

i started in one building and then after a month or so work transfers from there to a neighboring town
the union steward came and told me hey this work is moving you can go with it and keep your seniority or stay and risk being layed off
i decided to follow the work to the bigger building with more opportunity
well its been nice and ive made it up to cover driver and what not
now work is moving from this building to another town and i happen to be moving to that town because my wifes job transfered there
well now i hear that no part timers are going to be able to follow this work unless they get a bid on full time driver positions that the current drivers dont follow. this is very troublesome because the center the work is moving to is hiring package handlers off the street but the steward i talked to in my building said basically yeah well your only chance to get with the center in the new town is to quit and hire on at the other center. is there anyone else i should try talking to? id love to stay with the company but the current center will be a 100 mile round trip once i move and my part time wages will basically just cover the gas for that

im really bummed because i have the feeling 2 years of service is about to go down the ****ter
Hay man, 2 years is nothing. If the situation isn't right for you move on to something better.

boxsniffer

yeah i will if i have to
ive started job hunting and already sent out one resume
surely the company will prove to be accommodating though

705red

Browncafe Steward
Start asking the other drivers if they plan on following the work. Any idea how many routes are moving?

Last edited:

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Will be interesting to hear what happens with you, keep us updated.

I'm currently in a similar position. Out here, they are building a second Narrows Bridge. Problem with this is, they will be putting a toll on this new bridge. UPS doesn't want to pay it, so may shuttle all of our routes over to that side (into a building over there). Rumors are spreading, but nothing in stone. Different local over there. Have quite a few guys who want to head over to that center if we do split. Alot don't. So not sure who they will allow to transfer or not (we already know the bid drivers can follow their routes). But not sure about coverdrivers and ls/pl.

krash

Go big orange
well now i hear that no part timers are going to be able to follow this work unless they get a bid on full time driver positions that the current drivers dont follow.
We've had several moves here in the past year. UPS posted all the routes(that the bib driver's didn't want to follow) for bid as change of operation. Anyone could bid on these routes and if you were PT you went FT automatically if you won the bid. There has been 3 occurrences of this and most routes were taking by PTers. This was in the GA district where routes were moved from FPAGA to ATLGA. From FPAGA to PLEGA. From ATHGA to FPAGA.

boxsniffer

wellp it turns out that the center the work is moving to is not accepting any part timers from our center. i heard this from our local business agent and also my building was able to find enough full timers to move with the work.

just though id give an update