Working after retirement.

Quigley

With all due respect to the local, they are not the ones to ask about your retirement. You need to go to the people who run the pension plan and issue the check. In the northwest that would be Northwest Administrators.

Quigley

ups79

With all due respect to the local, they are not the ones to ask about your retirement. You need to go to the people who run the pension plan and issue the check. In the northwest that would be Northwest Administrators.
Quigley

Your locals are the ones that have the book.

kenco80233

In the Central States they have a re-employment number to call and ask if you can do a certain job.
Reemployment/QDRO
Monday - Friday
7:00am to 4:30pm CST

1-800-323-2152

Reemployment ext. 3500
QDRO ext. 3876

Calls answered or returned within one business day.

filthpig

I'm in Central States and we have a list at the back of our benefits explanation book (the roadmap thing) that tells us what jobs we can and cannot do after retirement and still collect our pension. It's really aggravating because the list includes: any type of delivery, warehouse work of any kind and any kind of truck driving.

kenco80233

I agree.From talking to retired members in different pension plans,I believe that the Central States Plan has some of the most resticted re-employment rules of any,or at least the most confusing.I have called several times,to ask about part-time work,that I ended up not doing.I was left with the impression from there answers,that I should feel guilty,about even considering a part-time job and still want to recieve the retirement benefits.I was always interested in talking to Central States Retirees from different areas that were working,to see if they were getting the same information.I am making it on the pension and money from my IRA,but sometimes it would be nice to be able to pick up a little extra money working once in awhile.When I retired 5 years ago,the cost of health insurance,food,gas etc. were a a reasonable level,but with all the increases in the essentials,it gets harder every year.However I feel lucky to be able to recieve good pension benefits,as many people don't have anything compaired to what we recieve.

Quigley

Personally I wouldn't take anybodies word on what is and isn't allowed. Too many times the person working at the pension plan company knows very little about it. Depending on who you talk to you can get a different answer every time you call. Better to get the book and then you know for sure what is allowed.
Quigley

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree.From talking to retired members in different pension plans,I believe that the Central States Plan has some of the most resticted re-employment rules of any,or at least the most confusing.I have called several times,to ask about part-time work,that I ended up not doing.I was left with the impression from there answers,that I should feel guilty,about even considering a part-time job and still want to recieve the retirement benefits.I was always interested in talking to Central States Retirees from different areas that were working,to see if they were getting the same information.I am making it on the pension and money from my IRA,but sometimes it would be nice to be able to pick up a little extra money working once in awhile.When I retired 5 years ago,the cost of health insurance,food,gas etc. were a a reasonable level,but with all the increases in the essentials,it gets harder every year.However I feel lucky to be able to recieve good pension benefits,as many people don't have anything compaired to what we recieve.
Central States has been very fair with me when it comes to giving the ok to play at a different job. As long as it isn't in the transportation or warehouse industry you should be able to get the ok from them.

Channahon

What if you signed up with a "temp agency" after retirement. You know a lot of warehouses use temps instead of the cost of an employee. If that is the type of work you would be interested in doing.

And if you don't need health benefits, but want the flexibility of hours and when you work, this may be the way to go.

kenco80233

What if you signed up with a "temp agency" after retirement. You know a lot of warehouses use temps instead of the cost of an employee. If that is the type of work you would be interested in doing.

And if you don't need health benefits, but want the flexibility of hours and when you work, this may be the way to go.
I was told that I could not do anything that had anything to do with a warehouse. Several years ago,I asked about working part-time at a new Home Depot.They said absolutely no way could I work there,as it is considered a warehouse store.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was told that I could not do anything that had anything to do with a warehouse. Several years ago,I asked about working part-time at a new Home Depot.They said absolutely no way could I work there,as it is considered a warehouse store.
So what are they afraid your going to do- unionize it?:wink2:

ups79

So what are they afraid your going to do- unionize it?:wink2:

I think the teamsters would want you working with these workers who have no pensions, thus you could explain your pension to them and they would then like to form a union or become participants in a union.

1timepu

A friend of mine retired with a teamster pension and he could not work for any company in the transportation business, not even in a warehouse. Once he turned 72 though he could work anywhere and do anything he wanted so he is driving again. That was in Missouri.

First it is NOT a Teamster Pension, the money comes from UPS, the Teamsters contibute absolutetly no money. Second you can work after retiring anywhere you want, you never signed anything with UPS nor Teamsters saying you cant drive again.

Quigley

In the western states you can work in a warehouse as long as you dont drive a truck. Or you can drive a truck as long as you dont work for a package delivery company. Or you can drive a truck for a delivery company as long as you leave the western states. And 1timepu, its not true that you can do anything you want. Just try it and see fast you lose that pension check
Quigley

Channahon

I understand what you are saying, my point is, if you work for a "temp agency' you are their employee, not the company where you would be working.

Was just wondering what the union's stance would be, as I don't think "temp agencies" are union.

1timepu

In the western states you can work in a warehouse as long as you dont drive a truck. Or you can drive a truck as long as you dont work for a package delivery company. Or you can drive a truck for a delivery company as long as you leave the western states. And 1timepu, its not true that you can do anything you want. Just try it and see fast you lose that pension check
Quigley

Again the Teamsters contribute nothing to my pension or anybody elses for that matter, it is all UPS money, so lets see if the Teamsters try that one, I will be using my CDL again when I retire.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I hear all the time that companies have a shortage of qualified drivers............Then why this rule....... I`m have yet to retire and would like to drive a little after I do.....

kenco80233

The Central States re-employment guidelines that they have on there website are vague. They want you to call them about the jobs that you are considering.I have talked to several of my former driver friends that have called and been given different answers.I moved out of the geographical area of the Central States. I mentioned this the last time I spoke with Central States.They didn't seem to have an answer.My former co-workers that I have kept in contact with in Colo.Neb.and Kansas, all have different ideas about what the re-employment rules mean,by the way that they were explained to them. As I just recieved bill for are health insurance that is being raised $72.per month to $722.per month for my wife and myself,I am going to have to get a little more serious about looking for part-time work.I have cosidered giving up the pension to go back to driving,however,I am told that I could never get health Ins.from the pension again.Is anyone else have these kinds of concerns,or am I the only one that is noticing the cost of living rising so much in the last year?Sorry about rambling on,I just had to vent a little.

959Nanook

First it is NOT a Teamster Pension, the money comes from UPS, the Teamsters contibute absolutetly no money. Second you can work after retiring anywhere you want, you never signed anything with UPS nor Teamsters saying you cant drive again.

I don't understand your logic about it NOT being a Teamster Pension. I'm assuming you are a Teamster employed full-time (i.e. not a part-timer) by UPS. In my mind, it is similar to Social Security for the sake of this argument. UPS contributes to the Social Security Administration on your behalf; however, UPS does not manage that money. The Teamsters negotiated that contribution from UPS and anyone in the Teamster Pension is a benefactor of that negotiation (i.e. employers are contributing what would otherwise have to be contributed by Teamsters).

Again the Teamsters contribute nothing to my pension or anybody elses for that matter, it is all UPS money, so lets see if the Teamsters try that one, I will be using my CDL again when I retire.

If you are enrolled in a Teamster Pension plan, not only will the Teamsters try but they will succeed in mandating restrictions on your employment while you are drawing your pension. It is very simple, they stop cutting your check. You are more than welcome to use your CDL when you retire; however, I would determine the ramifications of that decision (it may or may not mean forgoing your pension while employed as a driver). This was raised last night at our monthly local meeting because the retirees felt that the rules are too restrictive in our local and some rulings on what was deemed to be unacceptable employment had seemed arbitrary.

1timepu

I am a feeder driver now, will retire 25 and out, will get a part-time shifting job near home outside my local, let them try and stop me!