working alone

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Interesting thread. I see our mechanic working with the feeders early..or late, as hell.
Sometimes package trucks are lifted up on one side or another and I work around him at times delivering the irregular packages.
I have wondered how dangerous it can be working on those beasts in our fleet. If I was mechanically inclined I would go for that job.
Sounds pretty dangerous though. I have never seen our mechanic alone in the building but who is to say we wouldn't notice something happen.
It's not really very dangerous. Follow proper safety procedures and you'll be fine.

Sure there's that 1 in a million chance that you have a jack stand failure but you could also get struck by lightning.

UPSmechanicinblue

I was going to add that. Another person present would not have been much help after the fact.
I added that link for an example that things do happen, no different than a driver pulling out in front of a car and getting hit. Easy to say if he would have looked twice it would have been prevented. now in the supervisors eyes this was just a dumb preventable accident. Not to long ago a feeder mechanic was tightening u-bolts on a tractor and the axle slipped off the jack stands pinning his hand between the impact gun and the floor. Luckily others where avail to jack it back up. this turned out to be a long term injury. If he where alone like me I may have had to wait 3 or 4 hours for someone to help. i'm just looking for info that may aid me in fighting the new start time that I feel is unsafe. If the new hours where beneficial or need be like a feeder driver or package car drivers route to meet commit times is totally understandable. I have cars available to work on all day long and did have repairs done in time for cars to be available the next day. There are also a lot of repairs that I could use another hand with but don't have when alone. This post isn't for me to use a jack stand and all will be fine.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
I took a trailer to a small center every night around 10-10:30 pm. swapped out with an outbound load and left. All PT people would usually be leaving there about the time I arrived. The mechanic would be there alone when I left. Several times I would see strange cars come into the yard while I was there, which was unusual. I'd always call the mechanic. (I had his cell #. He would sometimes call me before I left the hub to bring him parts) And I would always make it a point to check on him when I was there to at least to say hi or bye. I would encourage him to close the gate when I left, since he would be alone till preload came in. That building was at the end of a dead end road. It gave me the creeps. Can't be too careful these days and time.
You are truly a good and caring person. I do wish there were more like you. No I'm not being sarcastic.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It seems to me that the man has some valid concerns, but I would be surprised if UPS sees it that way.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It seems to me that the man has some valid concerns, but I would be surprised if UPS sees it that way.
I disagree. Like I said all of the drivers feeder and package basically all work alone all day.

Lots and lots of jobs are like this. Keep a phone close. There's no gross negligence here.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Anyone help with this? My work hours where changed last summer from 4pm to 6pm. I'm a mechanic in a small center so from 10pm or 11 pm I work alone until 2 a.m. Some one from region changed these work hours and may have to use the grievance procedure. Another center tried to fight it but lost. I don't know what all he filed under, or what was discussed etc. I want to be sure to use every thing I can when and if I have to. Numerous people have slipped on ice and fell, I'm under package cars on jack stands, torching, welding etc wife also fears of maybe a heart attach(4 people when know had one in last 3 months) could occur or anything could happen being alone. Friday nights I would be alone until 3 or 4 a.m before someone returns. I would understand new hours if they had a reason to support the center, cars are available 24 7 to be worked on. Please give me contract things such as Articles like safety is the up most importance.Thanks

Just to let you know. I presented your above concerns for our mechanic. Management was very receptive to the hours alone. I said it would be a great idea to get him life alert. Just in case of an emergency. I do believe they will. I will follow up with you again when they really do. Also, speaking with my mechanic he brought up how our exterior doors should have a small side window. So he can see who is at the door. As they are now. He has to open the door to see who is there. Which can be a nasty outcome also. Go thru your safety committee. It can just be another write off for UPS. Safety 1st:-)

UPSmechanicinblue

Just to let you know. I presented your above concerns for our mechanic. Management was very receptive to the hours alone. I said it would be a great idea to get him life alert. Just in case of an emergency. I do believe they will. I will follow up with you again when they really do. Also, speaking with my mechanic he brought up how our exterior doors should have a small side window. So he can see who is at the door. As they are now. He has to open the door to see who is there. Which can be a nasty outcome also. Go thru your safety committee. It can just be another write off for UPS. Safety 1st:-)

Please let me know outcome, Thanks

browner89

I took a trailer to a small center every night around 10-10:30 pm. swapped out with an outbound load and left. All PT people would usually be leaving there about the time I arrived. The mechanic would be there alone when I left. Several times I would see strange cars come into the yard while I was there, which was unusual. I'd always call the mechanic. (I had his cell #. He would sometimes call me before I left the hub to bring him parts) And I would always make it a point to check on him when I was there to at least to say hi or bye. I would encourage him to close the gate when I left, since he would be alone till preload came in. That building was at the end of a dead end road. It gave me the creeps. Can't be too careful these days and time.
Was that outbound load headed for NewPA? Just curious.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Anyone help with this? My work hours where changed last summer from 4pm to 6pm. I'm a mechanic in a small center so from 10pm or 11 pm I work alone until 2 a.m. Some one from region changed these work hours and may have to use the grievance procedure. Another center tried to fight it but lost. I don't know what all he filed under, or what was discussed etc. I want to be sure to use every thing I can when and if I have to. Numerous people have slipped on ice and fell, I'm under package cars on jack stands, torching, welding etc wife also fears of maybe a heart attach(4 people when know had one in last 3 months) could occur or anything could happen being alone. Friday nights I would be alone until 3 or 4 a.m before someone returns. I would understand new hours if they had a reason to support the center, cars are available 24 7 to be worked on. Please give me contract things such as Articles like safety is the up most importance.Thanks
one_way_signs.jpg
money_14_preview