Working as directed?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Ask politely for a stack board.
image.jpg

HardknocksUPSer

You work safely and only safely. Never run. Sups will blow all sorts of smoke up your A trying to get you to work unsafely. But the moment you faceplant, misload or have terrible load quality it's on you. And working as directed never, ever applies if you think it can't be done safely. Don't believe anything else. Tell your sups you're working safely and they can make your day if they want to pursue a case over it.

1 large package usually won't ruin the party. But 1 large package in the middle of edge to edge simultaneous bulk stops for multiple routes very well can.

And the "guy before him" had a 50-75 pound weight limit (depending on how long ago) and lighter routes. It's not a fair try and compare loading in the good old days with the current "Shove it up everybody's A as hard as the company can because ORION and Wall Street" regime.
Best anwsers yet, thank you bud.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
No offense but, you should know then that everyday is different and it's not as easy as just saying "well if you work faster, you won't have stacks"
I was trying to explain the supervisors mindset on it. But if there is a large stack every single day, you do need to move a little bit faster while maintaining safety. I understand everyday is different. But if it is a habitual problem it becomes less about the day and more about the loader.

HBGPreloader

I was trying to explain the supervisors mindset on it. But if there is a large stack every single day, you do need to move a little bit faster while maintaining safety. I understand everyday is different. But if it is a habitual problem it becomes less about the day and more about the loader.
I was stacking out a new stop for nearly 3 months before the "supervisors" finally came to the realization that you simply can not squeeze 10# of "stuff" into a 5# bag.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Never heard the word stack board used. We had either 2X8 or 4X8 dock extenders behind the bulk package cars to stack bulk stops. A table placed between the dock and the package car. We called them a pallet but that was just the name we used.

Same thing.

Get me a steward

:censored2: that. I'd show up tomorrow and go slow as possible. He's trying to scare you. If he talks to you...ignore him. don't stack anything. Let it stack up on the pick off belt:)

Get me a steward

UPS motto, the harder you work the more work you get. Work safe work at a safe pace. The hard workers pick up the slack for all the slugs.
Exactly. Us slugs have the easiest routes in the building ...get to home whenever we want... and don't take the same tole on our body as the try hard guys. Save your self... let others do the bulk for you buddy

UPS Preloader

Does working as directed include not stacking out while loading and jogging to keep up with the pace of the flow? A sup has told me to work as directed in a area with 1200-1300 peices a day I told him "I'm not going to run you don't pay me to run" and I was told I need to work as directed? Is this considered over supervision? I care more about load quality and safety than I do keeping up with the flow. I have one job and that's to satisfy the driver and make his/her day as easy as possible. can I be written up for stacking out?

You need to work as directed unless it's unsafe, immoral, or illegal. If they say don't stack out, don't. Unfortunately you'll have to Stack In, stop the belt, or let the packages go by. I stack out all the time, but I refuse to create egress issues. About 5 minutes before running out of room I let management know that if I don't get help the belt will be going off. If I get to the point where the next package stacked out will cause an egress issue, the belt goes off until I feel it's safe to turn it back on.

UPS Preloader

Or there is a problem with the workload or the flow of packages. It's not always the preloaders fault. I follow the methods which includes load quality, therefore I cannot do the same amount of work others in our building do. I've been approached by management on numerous occasions. My standard response is "I know my limits and I am working at my safe work speed. The only way I can get any more done is to compromise the job methods. Which job method do you want me to stop following?" I have never received an answer and therefore I have not changed anything. If I ever get an answer I will be requesting it in writing.

HardknocksUPSer

Or there is a problem with the workload or the flow of packages. It's not always the preloaders fault. I follow the methods which includes load quality, therefore I cannot do the same amount of work others in our building do. I've been approached by management on numerous occasions. My standard response is "I know my limits and I am working at my safe work speed. The only way I can get any more done is to compromise the job methods. Which job method do you want me to stop following?" I have never received an answer and therefore I have not changed anything. If I ever get an answer I will be requesting it in writing.
writing all 4 numbers on EVERY single box for Orion is making it all the more difficult.

Box Ox

we used to have to look up sequence numbers on a load chart, then write them on the box to load.

writing PAL numbers is sooooo hard??? the work has already been done for you

What was the weight limit and how heavy were the routes back then relative to now? Most loaders would probably trade the weight, volume and flow conditions as they are now for what they were pre-PAL (even if it meant having to look up sequence numbers!) system implementation and ORION. ORION and the PAL system have both become excuses to shove the heaviest volume possible as fast as possible up everybody's bunghole. Loaders and drivers. It's just not a fair comparison. Ever.

wayfair

swollen member
What was the weight limit and how heavy were the routes back then relative to now? Most loaders would probably trade the weight, volume and flow conditions as they are now for what they were pre-PAL (even if it meant having to look up sequence numbers!) system implementation and ORION. ORION and the PAL system have both become excuses to shove the heaviest volume possible as fast as possible up everybody's bunghole. Loaders and drivers. It's just not a fair comparison. Ever.

I had 3 oilfield trucks to load, it was 70lbs but it had upped to 150 in 1994. We are in a boxline setup not belts...