Working as directed?

PT Car Washer

we used to have to look up sequence numbers on a load chart, then write them on the box to load.

writing PAL numbers is sooooo hard??? the work has already been done for you
I never had to look up the sequence number on every package I loaded. I had most of them memorized after a week or so. Also the package flow was no where near what it is today or even 20 years ago. Or the number of oversize or over weights. And I was paid $.55/hr less then a top paid driver after a 30 day progression with full time benefits. Of course it is the PTers fault for not voting. Even when they were not even hired yet.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was told by my preload manager I was not allowed to drink water while working in Aug. because then I would have to go to the bathroom more often.
Say what?
200.gif

By The Book

I was told by my preload manager I was not allowed to drink water while working in Aug. because then I would have to go to the bathroom more often.
Then as a driver they tell you to be hydrated and drink plenty of water, and if your not going number1 something is wrong,.....idiots!

wayfair

swollen member
I never had to look up the sequence number on every package I loaded. I had most of them memorized after a week or so. Also the package flow was no where near what it is today or even 20 years ago. Or the number of oversize or over weights. And I was paid $.55/hr less then a top paid driver after a 30 day progression with full time benefits. Of course it is the PTers fault for not voting. Even when they were not even hired yet.

I floated different cages....did learn many loads....

HardknocksUPSer

we used to have to look up sequence numbers on a load chart, then write them on the box to load.

writing PAL numbers is sooooo hard??? the work has already been done for you
Dude it's not about it being "hard" it's the fact that your having so much volume pushed at you it's hard to give a good load and still keep up, you must keep in mind we also have more trucks and more peices than back in the golden days of charts.

wayfair

swollen member
Dude it's not about it being "hard" it's the fact that your having so much volume pushed at you it's hard to give a good load and still keep up, you must keep in mind we also have more trucks and more peices than back in the golden days of charts.

Golden days??? hardly, today's preload is totally dumbed down.

I loaded 3 p1000, we didn't have 1200's yet, and 2 of those PC's could have utilized them. We had to scan , lookup sequence number if not already memorized, then put up a good load(it did matter then). If someone brought me a package, I knew what truck and what section it went to.
try that today!

J

jibbs

Yeah, pretty much everyone that loaded before PAL that I've talked to about this has told me the same thing.

From what I've been told, you had to have a whole lot of foresight in order to correctly load your pull with those charts.

Idk, I don't feel it can get much easier when they tell you exactly where to put the package (with PAL, I mean). The only time I have issues is when they blow me out with a bunch of bulk that simply won't all fit on the truck without blocking the walkway, let alone being able to squeeze it all onto it's designated shelf or into it's floor spot.

...It really pisses me off when I get 130+ boxes shipped to Kmart that are all 4'x3'x2' and 35-50lbs each 5 minutes after the shift starts.

That's how I know it's gonna be a bad day.... and thanks to a Kmart in-state going out of business, I've been dealing with that scenario for like 3 weeks straight now. :(

PT Car Washer

I loaded 3 p1000, we didn't have 1200's yet, and 2 of those PC's could have utilized them. We had to scan , lookup sequence number if not already memorized, then put up a good load(it did matter then). If someone brought me a package, I knew what truck and what section it went to.
try that today!
We had mostly P 600 and P 800 with P 500 for extended areas. Could walk down the middle of the truck most days. Now days I have seen misloads for the wrong state loaded.

moldsporh

A 911 call when you were thirsty for an IV because you were in fear of losing your job would have halted that real quick.

If you didn't have a witness to his statement then it would be a tough one to fight.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I drank at least 72 oz of water and gatorade this morning during my shift and didnt need to use the bathroom till the end of my shift. If you're drinking and sweating....you dont need to go that often.

Box Ox

If you didn't have a witness to his statement then it would be a tough one to fight.

I dunno. He could try drinking water in August and see what happens. LOL

But really, any sup I've ever known would be laughed out of the building if he/she said that.

My experience has been that the water/pee thing is more of a problem in winter because I'm sweating less. Peak season for packages and making sure you don't drink out of the wrong bottle. Wink, wink.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)

try that today!

If you think that the kids today are not running more volume with less resources (i.e. people, time, and sheer square inches of room in the delivery vehicle), you are sorely mistaken.

Dumbed down to the max indeed. And like a volcano, it starts at the top.

Wilson

Does working as directed include not stacking out while loading and jogging to keep up with the pace of the flow? A sup has told me to work as directed in a area with 1200-1300 peices a day I told him "I'm not going to run you don't pay me to run" and I was told I need to work as directed? Is this considered over supervision? I care more about load quality and safety than I do keeping up with the flow. I have one job and that's to satisfy the driver and make his/her day as easy as possible. can I be written up for stacking out?

UPS never requires you to do more than your capable of doing safety. ARTICLE 37. MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS Section 1.

"The Employer shall not retaliate against employees for exercising rights under this Agreement. In considering any grievance alleging retaliation for exercising his rights under the Agreement, the severity and timing of the Employer’s actions that modify an employee’s work assignment or reprimand employees shall be relevant factors to a determination of motivation. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect."

Interpret liberally. :tank:

HardknocksUPSer

try that today!
Residentials I couldn't begin to tell you without a PAL but with almost any business I load I can place where it needs to be simply because I ask the driver where he wants them and I remember by the names and address of businesses. Out of curiosity how high was a average days volume in your center compared to now?

wayfair

swollen member
Residentials I couldn't begin to tell you without a PAL but with almost any business I load I can place where it needs to be simply because I ask the driver where he wants them and I remember by the names and address of businesses. Out of curiosity how high was a average days volume in your center compared to now?
I worked for a different center at the time and that one had a smaller one combined to it. We have 4 in our building.

It is growing and many routes are created because of it