Working "outbound", what should I expect?

JonL

Hey,

I've been in training for a couple of days now, but I really don't know what to expect working "outbound" as a package handler.

What is "outbound" all about?

Thanks!

:)

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hey,

I've been in training for a couple of days now, but I really don't know what to expect working "outbound" as a package handler.

What is "outbound" all about?

Thanks!

:)

4 of my 8 hours are outbound. Depends on your workload. You'll be scanning pkgs into trailers. If you get a busy load, then you're getting crushed. If not, you'll be helping with bulk and missorts. Pray you get something laid back like I have ;)

JonL

IDLWTM,

I'll be working the night sort/outbound, so because of the timing, do you think that this will be more laid back?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

IDLWTM,

I'll be working the night sort/outbound, so because of the timing, do you think that this will be more laid back?

I work on the midnight sort too. At least at this hub, I believe it's a fairly heavy one compared to all 4. Only been here 3 weeks thoug.

Suggestion; when they push you into the heaviest loads (which is inevitable, unless you already have), don't panic, take your time one foot in front of the other- and you'll be out it in no-time to something easier!

JonL

Guys,

I know that the work is going to be physically demanding, but what about the mental aspect of it? What are some things that are really important to know before I start to actually handle packages?

Thanks!

dillweed

You'll be fine. They'll get you started and probably put you in with another worker. Watch and learn, don't feel you have super fast at first, that speed will come. Be safe with your back straight and watch where you're going. Never set a pkg where you might trip over it later.

Don't expect many "atta boys" even when when you've busted your butt. It's not personal. UPS isn't much for compliments and always seem to want more and more work out of us. You'll get comfy with your own speed and style after awhile. And remember, never set a pkg down where you'll trip over it later! Can't say that one enough because I've done it and it feels foolish. :happy2:

helenofcalifornia

The most important thing to remember is that we all have felt like you are going to. And that in about 2-3 weeks your are going to be wondering why you even worried about it.
Its confusing to everybody when they start. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be fine. Good luck and report back.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Guys,

I know that the work is going to be physically demanding, but what about the mental aspect of it? What are some things that are really important to know before I start to actually handle packages?

Thanks!
"the mental aspect"
to keep others away........scream loudly and often.
practice on your singing voice
develop story lines for that future best seller
recall a happier place & time

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started out on the Midnight Sort as a Loader, so I guess I was "Outbound". The names of the jobs change but they are still the same thing. I used to load three trailers at once. Sometimes I stood by the belt as a "Pickoff", which means I pulled the packages off the belt and put them on a set of rollers for the Loader to load. I later worked "Irregulars", which are the odd shaped packages that couldn't be sent down the belts.

I expect that you will spend a lot of your time wondering "What in the world am I doing working a job like this".

JonL

Guys,

I should note that the UPS facility that I will be working at is an Air Hub. Does that change anything when it comes to working "outbound"?

Also, in training, we did a load of "hazmat" quizzes today. Man, that was frustrating! I hope that I wasn't the only one who thought it was difficult to absorb all of this information.

:dissapointed:

pretzel_man

Jon,

Good luck to you. I started more than 30 years ago doing the same thing.

- Come to the job with a positive attitude.
- Work safely.
- Work safely.
- Work safely.
- Do not load any missorts!!!

Keep the above things as your absolute top priorities.

Next:
- As you mentioned, check HazMats. Especially since you're in an air hub.
- Work on the proper methods. Make your loads tight.
- Think ahead. Know where you are going to put the next few packages before you touch them.
- Try to NOT rehandle packages. This plus the previous one will build speed.

Are you going to school? It was a great job for me while attending school.

Best of luck.

P-Man