Working Past Retirement Date to Pay for Kid's College

Would you be willing to work past your projected retirement date to put your kids through college?

• Maybe-----it would depend upon the circumstances at the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There has been a lot of discussion as to whether or not you would be willing to work past your projected retirement date to help your children pay for their college expenses. The thought process for those who would is that they don't want their children to start their professional careers with the burden of student loan debt while the thought process for those who would not is that student loans will ensure that the children have some skin in the game and will apply themselves if it is on their dime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have two children and when it came time for college my ex and I agreed to split their first year evenly between the two of us and to split their remaining years evenly between the three of us. Anything beyond their first four years would be completely on their dime. Both kids followed the plan to a T and both graduated with their four year degrees with about $20K of student loan debt. My son tacked on $55K when he got his MBA.

I had all of my 401k education related loans paid off before my son, who is the youngest, received his 4 year diploma and will have no education related debt as I go in to retirement.

The timing worked out well for us as I was still working when they were in school; however, if they were either just getting ready to start or in the early stages of their college careers as I was getting ready to retire, I would not work past that date just to make sure that they had as little debt as possible.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I have two children and when it came time for college my ex and I agreed to split their first year evenly between the two of us and to split their remaining years evenly between the three of us. Anything beyond their first four years would be completely on their dime. Both kids followed the plan to a T and both graduated with their four year degrees with about $20K of student loan debt. My son tacked on $55K when he got his MBA.

I had all of my 401k education related loans paid off before my son, who is the youngest, received his 4 year diploma and will have no education related debt as I go in to retirement.
How many times are you gonna keep repeating the same dribble over and over.

NO ONE CARES !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many times are you gonna keep repeating the same dribble over and over.

NO ONE CARES !

Dribble is something you do with a ball-----"Shut up and dribble!"

Drivel is something that you spew on this forum on a daily basis.

I added "this does not apply to me" for idiots such as yourself who feel compelled to post on every thread whether the content applies to you or not.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My kids each owed about 30k at graduation. 2 are paying there's off and the third is in graduate school and is now her husbands problem. Poll answer. NO.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Dribble is something you do with a ball-----"Shut up and dribble!"

Drivel is something that you spew on this forum on a daily basis.

I added "this does not apply to me" for idiots such as yourself who feel compelled to post on every thread whether the content applies to you or not.
Damn!
That sounds like something Ron would post to others!
Regardless, that was quite a rip.
Is Ron out in the corner?

brown bomber

brown bomber
I paid half,..my daughters paid the other half. They both worked about 30 hrs./ a week, even when they were going to school full-time. They both graduated on time, and under budget. The 1st year was supplemented by scholarships they achieved. They have no college debt