Working through break

BrownBlue

New Jack
Contact local government agencies, like Osha, L&I, if the person is not getting the break added to time at the end of the day, then the company is breaking the law. Although, I think in some states, only a lunch is mandatory. But it is worth a shot.:peaceful:

SpicyItalian739

To be honest if this person wants to work through their break, I think that is their own stupidity.

My problem would be that they are taking money out of MY pocket by doing extra teamster work off the clock. If it's that busy than a Sup should send somebody else to help on the clock.

Imagine if half the sort worked through break and finished a trailer every night and you got paid 5 minutes less per night because of this... I think YOU should file the grievance.

LVD*4*LIFE

My problem would be that they are taking money out of MY pocket by doing extra teamster work off the clock. If it's that busy than a Sup should send somebody else to help on the clock.

Imagine if half the sort worked through break and finished a trailer every night and you got paid 5 minutes less per night because of this... I think YOU should file the grievance.

I could not have said it better myself! (Although I have tried).....

jennie

Do people do this at other companies? Lets say.....Target or a gas station, whatever. Are people working through breaks & not getting paid for it? Clocking out then stocking shelves or checking out customers because their friend is still on the clock & that friend is their ride?
Can you say WalMart?
I can say WalMart, and would so rather be working at UPS!!! and I love my break. When those belts stop, my scanner drops, and I am the FIRST one down the stairs to meet my friend:happy2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Is there actually contract language on that red? What article would u file under? We actually get paid for breaks unlike our lunch. I know the contract says the company shall not allow anyone to work without being compensated. But if your getting paid for breaks what's the grievance on? Just playing the :devil3: advocate here.

What drive's me crazy is the drivers who do come in early and go thru their entire load, making over allowed guys look bad.
I would file it under article 17, paid for time, and under seniority which here is article 44 but i do not see it in the link provided on the right of the cafe.
This employee is working through their breaks, and if you have more seniority you should file because your not being offered the work. Even though he/she is not getting it added on the end of their day, you will insist that they do it for you!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And round and round we go. I find it amazing that these are relevant issues. I routinely field questions like "do I have to take a lunch?", "why can't I go home, I have more seniority than him?", so on and so fourth.

Wake up people. The contract is designed to protect your right to work and insure that you get proper breaks. I'm not sure it works in reverse. It boggles my mind that it's an issue. You can lead a horse to water...

QKRSTKR

And round and round we go. I find it amazing that these are relevant issues. I routinely field questions like "do I have to take a lunch?", "why can't I go home, I have more seniority than him?", so on and so fourth.

Wake up people. The contract is designed to protect your right to work and insure that you get proper breaks. I'm not sure it works in reverse. It boggles my mind that it's an issue. You can lead a horse to water...

I hear ya. I can't believe these are issues either. We sometimes talk about how brainwashed we are as drivers. Go the extra mile to get it done.

But we work at a place where we have to put in a special request just to work 8 hrs. on a particular day. I tell people who don't work at UPS this and it blows their mind.

squirlygirly

https://web.archive.org/web/2013102...rslocal340.org/graphics/UPSsurviors-guide.pdf

The title is "UPS Survivors Guide". Unfortunately the web address is misspelled. Glad I caught that before I posted.

Anyways, to answer your question, PLEASE refer to page 3. It points out what you need to know and learn about just those measly few minutes they give you for a break.

And no, this isn't a contract of UPS. It's a little 7-page manual written by, I believe, a UPS shop Steward out of Local 340, in 2006. It's DEFINITELY worth a read. GOOD LUCK!!! ~:->>>

backinbrown

respect my authority
https://web.archive.org/web/2013102...rslocal340.org/graphics/UPSsurviors-guide.pdf

The title is "UPS Survivors Guide". Unfortunately the web address is misspelled. Glad I caught that before I posted.

Anyways, to answer your question, PLEASE refer to page 3. It points out what you need to know and learn about just those measly few minutes they give you for a break.

And no, this isn't a contract of UPS. It's a little 7-page manual written by, I believe, a UPS shop Steward out of Local 340, in 2006. It's DEFINITELY worth a read. GOOD LUCK!!! ~:->>>

This is my local

and let me tell you that bob picone has been in the teamsters 40 years and he knows what he is talking about.

This man has a lot to do with what we have today.

He takes the time to answer questions and is immediatly on any problem brought to his attention.

I have said many times posting here that i cant beleive what some of you say about your local or the union this man is why i say that, because i see none of these issues with this man defending us in local 340

I have much respect for him and hope i can learn half what he knows.