Working tomorrow????

rod

Retired 22 years
In the "old UPS" if they could get the packages to the center you would work. Most of the time you couldn't get much accomplished other than trudging through the snow but you did still have to go to work. I remember a couple of times working in 20-25 inches of snow but I would think 30 plus would be almost impossible to get around in. Most of the time the government jobs tell the "non-essential" people to stay home so I would say DC will be shut down for awhile as who is more "non-essential" than 95% of Washington DC.:dont_know:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Kinda wondering the same thing. I should be able to get in to work, but I doubt I'll be able to do much out where my route is. Volume should be down as well, I can't imagine all the the trailers will make it in.

Highwayman

I worked feeders Friday night. Harrisburg Pa was a mess. Got stuck on I 81 for 2 hours. I think feeders south of Pa will work Sunday (they were off Friday) so you should have work.:whiteflag:

tourists24

What were some of the final snowfall amounts for you guys? Here in Western NC, we got a few inches and a lot of slush, but nothing like we've had the last couple of storms. We should be able to do a lot of catching up tomorrow....

MD Dan

I believe our total in the DC metro area was in the 28-31" range. I expect to be at work tomorrow but not accomplishing a whole lot. Neighborhood roads will be only marginally passable at best and long driveways in rural areas will be out of the question altogether. I don't expect to see many shoveled walks to doors as most people will go in and out through their garages. YUUCK

Raw

Raw Member
Yup. Will be a great day in Florida. Now if the Super Bowl gets crazy......................Go Saints!!!:foamfinger:

Brownforall

With most of the govts, offices and businesses closed in DC, MD and VA, it seems ludicrous to deliver such a low volume of packages, not to mention the impossible parking downtown. What do you guys do --do you have to take all the packages into the buildings and then bring them back out with all the offices closed? What a waste of a day, and your time. Good luck on the roads...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
With most of the govts, offices and businesses closed in DC, MD and VA, it seems ludicrous to deliver such a low volume of packages, not to mention the impossible parking downtown. What do you guys do --do you have to take all the packages into the buildings and then bring them back out with all the offices closed? What a waste of a day, and your time. Good luck on the roads...
At least the pkgs will be attempted. Makes for good PR for UPS, don't ya think?

lazydriver

I just got home in time for the SuperBowl. Left Friday afternoon got stuck on I95 and I abandoned my doubles on I95 walked to hotel. Worked today for 8 hours of doubletime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

According to the Washington Post blog the Federal govt is closed tomorrow but DC Metro buses will be running a regular schedule. I would say you guys will be working tomorrow.

DS

Fenderbender
In places where snow is a way of life in the winter,most employers expect their employees to show up.You can usually tell from the street if the place is open.I do realize that this is unusual weather for you so here's some advice.Do not back into any dock etc...if there is a chance you wont get out.Customers are usually willing to go out of their way to get their pkgs,use this to your advantage.Watch out for other people going too fast for the conditions.Tell your sup as you leave the building,you will have late air, will be over9five,and will need help with 20 stops.Trust me.Have fun out there:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
In places where snow is a way of life in the winter,most employers expect their employees to show up.You can usually tell from the street if the place is open.I do realize that this is unusual weather for you so here's some advice.Do not back into any dock etc...if there is a chance you wont get out.Customers are usually willing to go out of their way to get their pkgs,use this to your advantage.Watch out for other people going too fast for the conditions.Tell your sup as you leave the building,you will have late air, will be over9five,and will need help with 20 stops.Trust me.Have fun out there:wink2:
Great advice, DS!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would regularly not care about the snow and just head into work, but I had surgery on Friday and think i may still take tomorrow off just to make sure I am ready to go back. I still have a little discomfort and don't want to push it too soon. Better safe than sorry.