Workplace violence tolerated by UPS?

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
I'm a 12 year PT employee. I had another hourly tell me as I was picking off that "he was going to friend* me up, ni***". I told him yea whatever.

He then ran up the belt and got within my face with a fist and pretended as he was going to hit me. I put my hands up and told him to calm down. He left.

It was witnessed by a PT supervisor and a shop steward. I also told a full time supervisor of the incident.

The following day I went to HR and they told me they would investigate the incident and to call the 1800 ethic hotline. I also reported it to the hotline.

This was 3.5 weeks ago. He's still employed with the company.

Saw a union rep last week and he was aware of the issue and was told he would bring it up in the meeting with the manager.

How is UPS tolerating this type of behavior and why does this employee still have a job?

If this were to happen to management the hourly would be walked of off the job on the same day.
When you work in UPS too long and the most trivial thing becomes surviving and trust none

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
4izo7s.jpg

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
In civil court...not criminal
Workplace violence, especially when redundant, is reportable to OSHA and warrants an investigation. Inaction on the part of a company's investigating and abating of valid and repetitive acts of violence may not go well for them.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
That guy will end up assaulting someone (possibly you) if he isn’t dealt with properly. What you need to be real careful of is ending up in the situation where you’ve had enough of his crap and end up being the first to strike. Then you’ll be walked out for sure.
Yep. What happened to "zero tolerance" of transgressing the company's anti-harrassment policy? Does that only apply to protecting some special groups... especially (and assuredly) including management?

D

Deleted member 77202

I'm a 12 year PT employee. I had another hourly tell me as I was picking off that "he was going to friend* me up, ni***". I told him yea whatever.

He then ran up the belt and got within my face with a fist and pretended as he was going to hit me. I put my hands up and told him to calm down. He left.

It was witnessed by a PT supervisor and a shop steward. I also told a full time supervisor of the incident.

The following day I went to HR and they told me they would investigate the incident and to call the 1800 ethic hotline. I also reported it to the hotline.

This was 3.5 weeks ago. He's still employed with the company.

Saw a union rep last week and he was aware of the issue and was told he would bring it up in the meeting with the manager.

How is UPS tolerating this type of behavior and why does this employee still have a job?

If this were to happen to management the hourly would be walked of off the job on the same day.
Unfortunately, yes, workplace violence & threats ARE tolerated at UPS -- of course, no one in power would ever admit that.

Management pretends nothing like that ever happens & won't do a thing about it, plus, you look like the troublemaker because you complained & "can't get along with your co-workers."

That's a fact.

I've witnessed it many times.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Unfortunately, yes, workplace violence & threats ARE tolerated at UPS -- of course, no one in power would ever admit that.

Management pretends nothing like that ever happens & won't do a thing about it, plus, you look like the troublemaker because you complained & "can't get along with your co-workers."

That's a fact.

I've witnessed it many times.
If you listen real close you can hear me rolling my eyes.

No violence is not tolerated.
If it was, the authorities would get involved, and UPS would get into a massively bad PR nightmare.

It's a cardinal offence, and you can get walked off the property on the spot.

Most of the time that leniency happens, it is because both employees would lose their jobs, and UPS gets to play babysitter to idiots who can't settle things with their words.

wilberforce15

If you listen real close you can hear me rolling my eyes.

No violence is not tolerated.
If it was, the authorities would get involved, and UPS would get into a massively bad PR nightmare.

It's a cardinal offence, and you can get walked off the property on the spot.

Most of the time that leniency happens, it is because both employees would lose their jobs, and UPS gets to play babysitter to idiots who can't settle things with their words.
No, most of the time that leniency happens, it's because the offender is the more violent, but politically favored demographics, while the victim is the less violent, but less favored, demographic.

Then management gets to pretend it was the fault of both, that they both need to grow up, and slow-walk the problem until the less favored demographic quits.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
The idea of "alpha male" and the whole panoply of other types, were all made up to make gym rat lunks feel better about themselves since the only thing they put any time or effort into is their own vanity.
I think this is my favorite post ever. Very well said. I’ve been going to the gym everyday lately and the people you encounter, especially the dudes......stop looking at yourself in the mirror man, Jesus Christ

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I think this is my favorite post ever. Very well said. I’ve been going to the gym everyday lately and the people you encounter, especially the dudes......stop looking at yourself in the mirror man, Jesus Christ
It’s great that you have really big calves and can lift a 300 pound piece of metal up and down 10 times. And yes, I get it, you have a type A personality and are aggressively outgoing and really want to chat with me about dumb sh**.....but I’m just here to run for an hour and do my physical therapy exercises, bro

D

Deleted member 77202

He was never fired after the first incident because of high turnover rate. He was one of the few that came to work everyday. No one ever told me that, but it's my opinion.

Shop Steward said his job is to defend both of us, and it's his job to make sure the other employee keeps his job.

I still don't know how you can defend him smacking my hand (I was using hand gestures talking, telling him "you're not supposed to talk to me") and he smacked my hand as I was talking. Belt went off as soon as he smacked my hand. And management came and walked him off.

So first incident he told me he was going to friend me up and got into my face. Second he actually does make physical contact. Tell me how its possible this low life keeps his job?
Someone in power is buddies with him -- that's why they don't get rid of him.