Workplacee violence the answers!

drewed

Shankman
UPS cant have it both ways. They cant on the one hand say "you will be fired for defending yourself" and then on the other hand expect to be free from any liability when an employee follows their rules and gets his ass kicked as a result.

There is no law, rule or statute that requires a person to get punched a certain number of times before he is allowed to defend himeself.

YAY sober! those teens didnt give you too much trouble ehh? you need to come by chat again sometime.
If you get your ass kicked, thats on you if you didnt take measures to avoid it. Ill have to get a copy of the zero tolerance policy tomorrow, if memory serves it says extraodinary efforts will be made to avoid conflict.

where is a statue or law saying a company will be liable for workplace violence? If someone walked into a work place and blew away everyone, and there had been no past indication of hostility, should that company be liable?

Last edited:

Johney

yes you could sue, and win. problem is reality. unless there are mitigating issues, the size you want and will get are far appart. the lawyers will get a larger chunk than you.

d
I think the going rate is around 30%. Maybe less? Even if it was 50/50 Better than nothing.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
UPS Code of Business Conduct

Crisis Management and Workplace Violence Prevention​
UPS is committed to a safe working environment, free of threats, intimidation,
and physical harm. Everyone has a right to work in a safe environment
and shares the responsibility for assuring each other’s safety. UPS
has adopted a zero tolerance workplace violence policy. This means
we will investigate and take appropriate action against any threat to a
safe workplace.
UPS prohibits violent behavior including, but not limited to, physical
assaults, fighting, threatening comments, intimidation, and the intentional
or reckless destruction of company, employee, or customer property. Any
comments or behavior that reasonably could be interpreted as an intent to
do harm to people or property will be considered a threat. We also prohibit
the unauthorized possession and/or use of weapons by any employee while
at work, on company property, or while on company business.
Any employee who believes that he or she may be the target of violence
or threats of violence, or is aware of violent or threatening conduct by,
or directed at, a UPS employee that could result in injury to a person or
the destruction of property, has a responsibility to immediately report the
situation to his or her immediate supervisor or manager. If an employee is
unable to or prefers not to contact an immediate supervisor or manager, the
employee can call the UPS Help Line (see “Asking Questions and Voicing
Concerns”).
Additional information is available from your local Security Department.​

bears2

If by chance i get punched while on ups property i will take extroadinary efforts to avoid the conflict by taking 1 step back. If he comes at me again,God help him.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Saw this just two weeks ago;

Unloader in truck - punk kid really, you know the type. His sorter 30 feet away, other side of belt, picture Mongo from Blazing Saddles. Punk kid is fast, Mongo no like, they argue.

Something was said, and Mongo actually stops the belt, runs down the belt, into the truck, and confronts the punk kid.

I don't care what was said verbally - But if I see a guy stopping the belt, then jumping on to it & running towards me, I will get the first - and last - punch. And I will not lose my job.

LKLND3380

Saw this just two weeks ago;

Unloader in truck - punk kid really, you know the type. His sorter 30 feet away, other side of belt, picture Mongo from Blazing Saddles. Punk kid is fast, Mongo no like, they argue.

Something was said, and Mongo actually stops the belt, runs down the belt, into the truck, and confronts the punk kid.

I don't care what was said verbally - But if I see a guy stopping the belt, then jumping on to it & running towards me, I will get the first - and last - punch. And I will not lose my job.

the ONLY time you stop a belt is to
BRWAK A JAM
MOVE A DIVERTER
WALK THE BELT AT THE END OF THE SORT

This guy was obviously
1. not following proper methods
2. caused an unauthorized work stoppage...

That is two reasons for termination

dillweed

shhhhhh, no more bickering this is an era of good feelings in the cafe
drop it be the bigger man and shhh rememeber no work place violence

It is a wam and fuzzy feeling to know we're safe and sound here with UPS management keeping things under control. :wink2: