Worth becoming a driver?

satellitedriver

Follow your bliss, and the money will follow.
This might sound like simplistic advice, but, it is true wisdom.
If money out ways following your true passion, then try driving.
I was hired in 1986 and at that time the national average for a driver staying employed at UPS was 3yrs. I have no idea of what the attrition rate is today.
My center runs 48 to 60 drivers and in the last 23yrs I have seen the pyramid effect of survivability with UPS.
I have seen over 100 new drivers, come and go.
I have seen over 50 on road sups, come and go.
I have seen 12 center manager's , come and go.
( waiting and wishing for lucky 13 to kick the bucket :happy2:).
Now that I have stated the negative, I must stress the positive.
UPS has provided me the means to live how and where I wish.
The long term drivers have a "certain something" that I can not define.
My bliss and passion was to be able to live on my land in the country and UPS fit the bill.
Please, follow your bliss.
Life is too short for regrets.
Long winded as this post is;
I will leave you with one of the best quotes I know on this subject.

Choose your ride carefully,
laughed the mother.
I only bought you one ticket.

Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited:

The Milkman

Sad to say but I would recommend going with law inforcement. If you would have asked this question a few years ago my answer would of been entirely different. UPS is not even a shell of the great company it once was. The United and the Service part of United Parcel Service has long ago disappeared. :sad-little:

I agree with you 100%..I saw the Service disappear when we went public IMO.
Retired and glad I don't have to deal with all the BS anymore!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Staying with UPS will turn your dreams into mush.
Go become a cop, at least when you put on that uniform people will respect you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but a great way to see what a driver goes through on a daily basis is to be a Peak helper. This will give you the answer to your question.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
About 8 years ago my preloader was a part time cop & part time UPS. He was so happy to get full time at UPS. His biggest thrill was telling people that women loved to see the "man in brown" walking up to her house, instead of walking up to her car or house dressed in blue or gray that usually meant trouble. As he was part time in LE the pay and benefits were not much.

I have not seen him in the past year or so I wonder if he is still happy with his choice.

beatupbrown

I just talked to a driver who has driven 17 years he is depressed about the job gave his 2 week notice .His main compliant is driver’s come in bitching moaning hate there job .I have never seen or heard of a driver who love there job.
One of the main problems with long term driving is the physical aspect and you will not have a family life i.e. getting off early. You with others go to the office complain to the supervisor to get stops off to go to junior’s soccer game.
When you first start is very difficult because you get the crap that rolls down hill cover driving doing routes that you have no idea where that is ,get a map out and perform like you know it well .Then you shoot of regular route that can take years usually.
So this job takes a special person who can block out all the external factors of the job and leave the job at UPS when you are done when you go home if possible.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It also helps to have a good support system around you. Not all spouses can handle the hour that we work and not all spouses understand the issues that we deal with every day.

BC helps with some of that. Everyone here understands (well, usually). :happy-very:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Feeder driver = HELL YES :happy2:

Package car driver = HELL NO :angry:

Going to feeders from a part time hub position might not be an option in your building. As for package car . . . .well . . . . . 'careful what you wish for

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
All things being equal, go with what you want to do.

Both jobs will get you fired for small transgressions of the rules. One can land you in jail for some of those same transgressions.

Both jobs can demand long hours, sometimes different shifts.

Both jobs can be very hard on marriages and family life.

Both jobs can be hated and despised if you really dont love what you do.

Life is not that short that if you went into one and did not like it, you could not go into the other at a later date.

Since both jobs provide services to the public, a gift of people skills is very important.

Either job can be hell when your sup is a bastard.

So the bottom line is this. Choose one that fits what you really want to do. You will find that your job is what you want to make of it, regardless of which one you choose.

For me, yes it was worth the wait. And yes, while there were days I wished to have been anywhere but delivery, over all I did choose well.

Best and good luck.

c

"A few months ago was a post that said Suffolk County, Long Island cops made $90k a year. If you can talk to a few cops and find out who has the best deal, etc, the pros and cons of the job."

i've looked into that same myth and it appears that its somewhat true. that 90k figure includes everything from bonuses to premium sunday pay to extreme overtime play. 90k is absolutely not base pay.

Box_Junkie

I enjoy it 95% of the time. Even when I've had a bad day. After I finish I feel accomplished because I know that most people can't do my job or would quit soon after starting.

NHDRVR

The time when you are given the opportunity to drive is important and now is not the time. Too many layoffs, the economy, etc.

If you are doing something now, or if you are not completely sure about the driving gig then don't do it.

There is a reason the general consensus of this particular job is negative...

M

Mike23

Take neither. Be a fire fighter. If you don't get a call at night you sleep all night with FULL pay, usually you get paid more for night shifts too. Remember, when you graduate from police academy they give you a gun and baton. When you graduate from fire fighter academy they give you a pillow and blanket :D

If you do want a comparison though that hasn't been mentioned yet look at job security. As a cop you definitely have a stronger union then the teamsters. It has your back NO MATTER WHAT. As a teamster member I'm sure you already realize all the chip shuffling that goes on.

Another thing...Cops have each others backs and will help when help is needed. A teamster won't because he doesn't know if tomorrow will be a 12 hour day or not because of bad management decisions. Come to think of it, if we were cops and had our managers right now, I think a lot of us would likely be dead in the line of duty, kind of a scary thought.

NHDRVR

Believe it or not, some people do enjoy being a package car driver.

Yeah, but, it isn't as easy as that. If we would all go out with a 'regular' stop count everyday then I would agree with you but that isn't the case.

Added stress is not necessary...

code5

I don't know. If you had asked me 10 years ago, I would have given you a resounding "hell yeah, pick UPS!." But now, it's numbers, numbers, numbers. The human component seems to have been lost recently and I doubt that it will ever come back. Gone with the Christmas turkeys, safe driving awards, safety breakfast snacks, and days off "just because."

I would tell you to go with law enforcement if you really like that. Eventually, you will be making more money than us and I bet your body will be in way better shape after 30 years. JMHO

I could have sworn I wrote that. At least I thought that. Very well put, that is definately how I feel too.