Would like your Opinions.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
So I've been a proud Teamster for 23 yrs I've never worked for UPS throughout my 23 yrs, at this point im entertaining going back to work part time, so over this past peak season I decided to run this seasonal helper position it seems my work performance was up to par because I've been asked to stay on as a part timer if I choose.
So a little about my 23 years with the Teamsters back in 1997 ish i started working for Yellow freight,hard work but it was my choice all ive ever known is hard work,so I was kinda fit right in,I worked as a casual for Roadway before it became YRC and finally went to Consolidated Freightway and we all know what happen there and for those of you that dont they went under in 2002,so I had a choice to go back to Yellow and start over as a casual and try and get on there,but after about a week went by the local called me and put me into the film division and i wound up staying in that until present time and for you folks that dont know that industry look it up,its a :censored2: show in itself,know pun intended,big money long hours,ive been in it now for 15 yrs and im done,i turn 61 in a week or so and i cant retire for a couple of different reason but i wont bore you with those details.
So now after this peak season im being asked to continue working for UPS as either managment or rank and file,im not looking to drive im done, I expressed id like to work the outbound shift reload i think is what you guys call it and the managment positions offerd ranged between flex supervisor and some othe partime twilight position doing time cards shuffling papers ect.
Im sure most on this board are going to have negative things to say about managment positions i get it,but it comes with more money to start and benefits day 1
Either way i know in my heart i just want to be on a loading dock working freight,handling freight and honestly im pretty sure thats going to be my decision,i just love to work hard and thats not going to happen in a managment positon for me,and by the way my son works for UPS as a driver the one time my son listened to me lol thank god !!!
Happy New Year to All !!!
@UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dr.Brownz

So I've been a proud Teamster for 23 yrs I've never worked for UPS throughout my 23 yrs, at this point im entertaining going back to work part time, so over this past peak season I decided to run this seasonal helper position it seems my work performance was up to par because I've been asked to stay on as a part timer if I choose.
So a little about my 23 years with the Teamsters back in 1997 ish i started working for Yellow freight,hard work but it was my choice all ive ever known is hard work,so I was kinda fit right in,I worked as a casual for Roadway before it became YRC and finally went to Consolidated Freightway and we all know what happen there and for those of you that dont they went under in 2002,so I had a choice to go back to Yellow and start over as a casual and try and get on there,but after about a week went by the local called me and put me into the film division and i wound up staying in that until present time and for you folks that dont know that industry look it up,its a :censored2: show in itself,know pun intended,big money long hours,ive been in it now for 15 yrs and im done,i turn 61 in a week or so and i cant retire for a couple of different reason but i wont bore you with those details.
So now after this peak season im being asked to continue working for UPS as either managment or rank and file,im not looking to drive im done, I expressed id like to work the outbound shift reload i think is what you guys call it and the managment positions offerd ranged between flex supervisor and some othe partime twilight position doing time cards shuffling papers ect.
Im sure most on this board are going to have negative things to say about managment positions i get it,but it comes with more money to start and benefits day 1
Either way i know in my heart i just want to be on a loading dock working freight,handling freight and honestly im pretty sure thats going to be my decision,i just love to work hard and thats not going to happen in a managment positon for me,and by the way my son works for UPS as a driver the one time my son listened to me lol thank god !!!
Happy New Year to All !!!

Don't go to management they will abuse you. I'd stay Teamster for the medical benefits.

35years

Gravy route
I also worked as a casual for Roadway on the docks, along with a smaller regional operation. I spent 6 years unloading and sorting part time UPS before going full time.

So...As a twenty three year old I worked the docks at Roadway 8 hours and also 3 1/2 hours unloading at UPS....
The 8 hours at Roadway was much, much easier than 3 1/2 at UPS.

I am about your age, and work as a driver at UPS. No way your body could take the beating of repetitive unloading or loading even for 5 hours a day. You would ruin your back or knees or shoulders. It is harder work than being a helper.

Not worth being crippled in retirement. Perhaps they have a clerk or auditor position, but not the load.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

I also worked as a casual for Roadway on the docks, along with a smaller regional operation. I spent 6 years unloading and sorting part time UPS before going full time.

So...As a twenty three year old I worked the docks at Roadway 8 hours and also 3 1/2 hours unloading at UPS....

I am about your age, and work as a driver at UPS. No way your body could take the beating of repetitive unloading or loading even for 5 hours a day. You would ruin your back or knees or shoulders. It is harder work than being a helper.

Not worth being crippled in retirement. Perhaps they have a clerk or auditor position, but not the load.
Not necessarily so.

Lot's of folks in better shape/condition than you. Lot's not.

Would be a case by case proposition.

I wouldn't want to make that decision....

quad decade guy

He's chompin at the bit.

I say go for it.

Est.1998

Not necessarily so.

Lot's of folks in better shape/condition than you. Lot's not.

Would be a case by case proposition.

I wouldn't want to make that decision....
He would definitely ruin or injury one if not all stated body parts.
And working in the hub is much more difficult than being a helper, one being the duration of time worked.
Helper work is what, 4 weeks?
OP might be the next Jack Lalane, but even Jack didn't work as an unloader/loader at UPS in his twilight years.