Would someone who works at UPS over 10+ yeats and hates it..

UPSER110

I had a couple guys who planned 10 years(Driving) with UPS, and socked away 50%+ or more of each paycheck for 10 years, and ended up moving on and doing something more meaningful to them.

I have considered that myself. I recently bought a house with a 15 yr mortgage. I'll be 45 with the house payed off if I stay here. I'll hit top rate in February and I plan to save and possibly max out my 401K.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I had a couple guys who planned 10 years(Driving) with UPS, and socked away 50%+ or more of each paycheck for 10 years, and ended up moving on and doing something more meaningful to them.
More and more truck drivers are doing that also. husband and wife teams live in the truck and sock away the majority of money for 5 years and then have enough to buy land and home outright .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But you give advice like you know them

I give advice based on my life experiences. This advice is general in nature. Orion was "suggesting" that my son increase his 401k and to make changes to his budget to deal with the student loan debt without knowing his current financial picture.

He is only 29 and while it would be nice to be able to set aside 20% that is unrealistic.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I give advice based on my life experiences. This advice is general in nature. Orion was "suggesting" that my son increase his 401k and to make changes to his budget to deal with the student loan debt without knowing his current financial picture.

He is only 29 and while it would be nice to be able to set aside 20% that is unrealistic.

It's not unrealistic at all to do that at 29. It would be foolish not to. Saving more when you're younger compounds it faster. It also makes you not "miss" the money because you get used to that level.

What would be foolish is waiting to bring that percentage up. This way you build more over time and learn to live in less without waste.

If he's budgeting like you say you do at very well below your means, then 5% isn't that noticeable but will make an impact in his overall savings.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's not unrealistic at all to do that at 29. It would be foolish not to. Saving more when you're younger compounds it faster. It also makes you not "miss" the money because you get used to that level.

What would be foolish is waiting to bring that percentage up. This way you build more over time and learn to live in less without waste.

If he's budgeting like you say you do at very well below your means, then 5% isn't that noticeable but will make an impact in his overall savings.
Every single new ndriver we have i tell them set your 401k at 20% and forget about it. I think 1 actually listened and before 30 had over 100k in his 401k