Would you miss UPS?

rod

Retired 22 years
My last day at work was just like any other day. Nothing was mentioned about it at the AM and when I punched out 9 1/2 hours later I walked out the door and it was just like I was born again. The greatest feeling in the world. I've been retired now for 7 years and my UPS life has gone full cycle-- from being a rookie the 1st 5 years to being the most senior driver the last 6 years to stopping at the UPS building to ship a pkg a few months ago and no one there at the time knowing who I was. UPS started out for me as an exciting job with great pay and great benifits but it didn't take long to become a chore just to roll out of bed and go in and play their games. I now have a great retirement income with great medical benifits for both me and my wife and all the excitement I care to have (motorcycling- flying- watching my grandson grow) so to answer the question "Do I miss UPS" HELL NO:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

so u just spend your time talking about a job u used to work at? thrilling.

Although he could have worded it better (leave the texting on your cell phone), he makes a valid point. The one thing that I am working hard at is to make sure that I have a "life" when I retire, whether it be a hobby, home-based business, travel, or perhaps a bar stool at my local tavern. Whatever it may be, I would most certainly hope that the last thing that I will do is participate in a forum such as this on a daily basis as I hopefully would have moved on at that point in my life and focused on those things that will have renewed importance in my life, namely family and friends. I will state that input from our retirees can be invaluable as they speak from years of experience and that I would stop by every now and then to try to keep current but, for the most part, this forum thrives on the input from those employees who have to deal with this ever-changing environment on a daily basis.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would most certainly hope that the last thing that I will do is participate in a forum such as this on a daily basis as I hopefully would have moved on at that point in my life and focused on those things that will have renewed importance in my life, namely family and friends.

Oh -but it is so much fun getting on certain peoples nerves.:blahblah:

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Of course I'm going to miss UPS when I retire! Long days, being a stranger at home 'cause I'm never there, heavier and heavier packages, clueless sups and unrealistic expectations, 110 degree days from June to September..... gosh, some days I don't even want my paycheck because I'm having such a GREAT time at UPS.

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I left the Army on the last TOD, I said I would never return......Never say never.......I miss the people, not the problems...

browniehound

My last day at work was just like any other day. Nothing was mentioned about it at the AM and when I punched out 9 1/2 hours later I walked out the door and it was just like I was born again. The greatest feeling in the world. I've been retired now for 7 years and my UPS life has gone full cycle-- from being a rookie the 1st 5 years to being the most senior driver the last 6 years to stopping at the UPS building to ship a pkg a few months ago and no one there at the time knowing who I was. UPS started out for me as an exciting job with great pay and great benifits but it didn't take long to become a chore just to roll out of bed and go in and play their games. I now have a great retirement income with great medical benifits for both me and my wife and all the excitement I care to have (motorcycling- flying- watching my grandson grow) so to answer the question "Do I miss UPS" HELL NO:peaceful:

So ROD, do you think it was worth it? Is the retirement you enjoy now worth the blood, sweat, and tears you put in at UPS for so long? If its not, I'll quit right now, LOL.

rod

Retired 22 years
So ROD, do you think it was worth it? Is the retirement you enjoy now worth the blood, sweat, and tears you put in at UPS for so long? If its not, I'll quit right now, LOL.
Now that I've made retirement I can look back and say YES it was worth it. The secret is to develop a warped sense of humor and a VERY thick skin. I helps to have a very understanding wife and a family that don't expect you to be on time at every little function. Stay tight with your fellow hourly workers and NEVER assume anyone in management is your friend- they will turn on you in a heartbeat (they have to if they want to protect their own job). It's not that they are all a-holes- it's just the nature of the beast. Cover your own butt. I had LOTS of fun during my time at UPS ( on route )and the bad memories tend to fade away. Heavens NO - don't quit-------hang in there and enjoy the great paycheck and benefits - thankyou Teamsters

O

oldupsman

Just some excellent advice there Rod. I hope all the young folks on this board read that post. I followed that exact same formula and it worked great for me too.

lost

When I left daysort for preload, It hurt. I walked outta there in tears. I miss the people I worked with. I will miss the preload people I work with too, I like the job in its self. I just think it can be run with less brow beating, a "good job" every once in a while won't hurt anyone to say and it goes a long way.

browniehound

Now that I've made retirement I can look back and say YES it was worth it. The secret is to develop a warped sense of humor and a VERY thick skin. I helps to have a very understanding wife and a family that don't expect you to be on time at every little function. Stay tight with your fellow hourly workers and NEVER assume anyone in management is your friend- they will turn on you in a heartbeat (they have to if they want to protect their own job). It's not that they are all a-holes- it's just the nature of the beast. Cover your own butt. I had LOTS of fun during my time at UPS ( on route )and the bad memories tend to fade away. Heavens NO - don't quit-------hang in there and enjoy the great paycheck and benefits - thankyou Teamsters

Thanks for the advice Rod. I think its worth it, but I like every confirmation I can get, so I ask every retiree's opinion.

I have yet to get a negative response. This is why I do it everyday. So I can hang with the grandkids and watch the grass grow some day.

The nice paycheck and great benefits package is just icing on the cake.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just some excellent advice there Rod. I hope all the young folks on this board read that post. I followed that exact same formula and it worked great for me too.

Not bad if I do say so myself for a guy that's been accused of "adding nothing of substanitive value to the threads" :peaceful:

satellitedriver

You might not miss UPS, but you thanked them with your post.
Tough row to hoe, but well worth the effort.
Enjoy the fruits of your harvest.
You earned it.