Write it down!

BUCN85

i see a lot of drivers walking around with pocket books or daily planners..do any of you guys do this and what exactly do you guys put in it. I know a lot of stuff is to cover your own butt if anything came into question.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
i see a lot of drivers walking around with pocket books or daily planners..do any of you guys do this and what exactly do you guys put in it. I know a lot of stuff is to cover your own butt if anything came into question.
I always have a notepad pinned to the top of the dash to jot random stuff down. Don't forget to drop this air, don't forget to go back to that business that was closed between 12-1, a pkg address that's not in my board, irreg in the back with this HIN, yadda yadda.

watdaflock?

Many drivers are not technically advanced enough to own smart phones. I'm willing to bet majority of those drivers who still carry around pocket books also receive a paper check every Friday, instead of direct deposit.

BUCN85

I always have a notepad pinned to the top of the dash to jot random stuff down. Don't forget to drop this air, don't forget to go back to that business that was closed between 12-1, a pkg address that's not in my board, irreg in the back with this HIN, yadda yadda.
Yea I get that. But there’s drivers writing down all their numbers etc

Paranoia. UPS isn't going to balk at disciplining someone because of what they wrote on a notepad.
"Oh sorry Johnny, I see here in your notes it says traffic was terrible that day, that's why you were over allowed. Sorry to bother you"
I guess for some guys that have the proverbial "target" on their back, it makes some sense to document the progressive discipline

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

A daily log book, is a great way to document day-to-day irregularly's.

Also, record punch in and punch out times, number of pieces, number of stops,

on-call events, unusual customer interactions, conversations with management....

Every hourly can benefit from it.

Trying to play dumb.... doesn't always work.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Paranoia. UPS isn't going to balk at disciplining someone because of what they wrote on a notepad.
"Oh sorry Johnny, I see here in your notes it says traffic was terrible that day, that's why you were over allowed. Sorry to bother you"

It absolutely makes a difference.

Go in front of a panel or an arbitrator. It carries as much weight as the company's

case. You have to look no further, than a couple of "well known" cases where it

was stated.... "the grievant could offer no plausible explanation".

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Some people need too , like going to the grocery store, I call it 3 way method ,, reminders ,, understand ,, answer
Yea I get that. But there’s drivers writing down all their numbers etc
Only if your paycheck hours don't match , so you don't work for '' free''.....saving management budget planning ..!

P

pickup

You might have seen it more of it very recently as drivers of many feeder departments are competing to see who can recite pi to the most digits.

On this day of 3/14, national PI day, there will be tournaments in the lunchrooms. The finalists will eventually meet in Atlanta for the championship.

You might have seen it more of it very recently as drivers of many feeder departments are competing to see who can recite pi to the most digits.

On this day of 3/14, national PI day, there will be tournaments in the lunchrooms. The finalists will eventually meet in Atlanta for the championship.
Nothing turns a woman on more than a man who knows pi

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Case.... and point.

54391502_10214170455716340_4365864351219843072_o.jpg

How is that figured into your dispatch ?

A driver posted this and complained about it "screwing up his day".

Wow.... he got roasted.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am a has been but toward the end when I was targeted, I wrote everything in my phone......They told me I documented too much. It was great for remembering dates.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I've been doing this since day one in feeders. Anything in my daily routine that is out of the normal, I make a note. When I first started doing it, I made COPIOUS notes. Way more than I needed to. Over time, I learned to streamline the notes and only note the things I knew they would ask about. You quickly learn what they will ask about.

Starting out, the main purpose is to CYA. If they have a question, you have an answer. A real answer. But I learned what the real advantage of keeping a record of my day: my book had way more power than I did.

In feeders, one of the on-road supervisors nasty little tricks, is to bring you into the office and ask you what caused this or that delay a week ago. Now, we're not inventing the wheel in this job, and with rare exceptions, today, tomorrow and a day three weeks ago all look the same. So, unless you keep notes, or have a photographic memory, your answer to their questions looks a lot like your finger scratching your head.

Here's where the power of the book really shines. If you're meticulous about doing things by the book and the methods, like I am, things take a little longer. So when they would say we need to see you in the office, I would say, "Let me grab my book." After four or five times of this routine, my supervisors would ask me into the office and would look at my book instead of me. It was almost comical.

After a while, they pretty much left me alone. My notebooks were also a good reference for myself. They are a good snapshot of how I've done this job. And as a long-time cover driver, I always have a good feel of where I'm going from where I've been.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
My first feeder manager, who was a real delight, got PO'd about my notes when he would ask questions about a specific day. He asked me, "Are you writing all of that down while you are on the clock?"

I told him, "Yes. You're asking me about details while I was ON THE CLOCK, and I intend to answer you honestly. The only way I can do that is by noting it when it happens."

There's nothing sweeter than watching them outsmart themselves.

onewithedd

I use to keep track of all my delivery and pick up stops from when I started driving on paper. Then, because of untrustworthy managers who played favorites, it morphed into a full excel spread sheet.

Keeps track of punch in/out, del/pu stops, packages, all DIAD messages, lunch/breaks, road conditions, trip times, mileage and more. All of this because of untrustworthy managers that play favorites.

It’s funny to see what has happened these managers who have left and moved up the ladder, only to be demoted or canned for falsifying there numbers or covering up accidents.

Stats as of end of February:

Del/pu stops 467,555
Del/pu pkgs 1,330,691
Miles driven 226,348

18+ years of driving

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Why are seniority union members less willing to work with a sense of urgency?
C’mon man, you’ve been here long enough. The more you do, the more you get. Also, the human body starts to break down from repetitive motion. This job beats the hell out of you. How old are you? Don’t judge an older guy til you’ve walked in their shoes man.